If you’re curious about the best dog beds for medium dogs, today’s post is for you!
I actually love shopping for medium-sized breeds because just about every great brand makes a bed for them.
It’s definitely a lot easier than finding good XL dog beds, that’s for sure!
On the other hand, since there are so many beds available for the mid-size pups, it’s kind of overwhelming to choose the right one.
Read on to discover my top five favorites!
First, though, let’s take a very quick look at what constitutes a “medium dog.”
Related: The Best dog beds for Cocker Spaniels
What Dog Breeds are Considered Medium?
While exact measurements vary depending on who you ask, medium dogs typically fall between 18-24″ in height and 20-60 pounds.
If you look at the list of medium dogs on the AKC website, you’ll find breeds as small as the 12-15″ Drever and as large as the Dalmatian.
My dog, a Pharaoh Hound, falls into the medium category, yet to me she looks bigger (height-wise) than my large-breed German Shepherd did!
Here she is below, in all her big-eared glory!
Now that we have a general idea of what constitutes a medium dog, let’s very quickly go over some things to consider as you shop for a bed.
How to Choose a Good Medium-Sized Dog Bed
The wide range of heights and weights in the medium-sized dog category does make shopping for beds a teeny bit tricky.
I don’t think we need a lengthy tutorial on shopping here, but let’s just go over a few quick points.
- Ignore the size names (S, M, L) and just look at the dimensions for each bed.
- When on the cusp, go a size up. If the bed is 26″ long and your dog is 25″ long, for example.
- Leave wiggle room for weight gain. Hey, it happens! Don’t but a bed that maxes out at 50 lbs if Fido is already 47 lbs!
One last tip that’s just common sense (and goes for all dog sizes): don’t buy a bed that isn’t chew-proof if you have a dog that chews.
A good chunk of negative reviews on dog beds come from people who bought something that wasn’t made for teething puppies, then get mad when said puppy destroys it.
Okay, let’s check out my top five favorite medium dog beds!
Top 5 Dog Beds For Medium Dogs
As always, use the table below to quickly check out my top five favorite beds, then keep reading for more details.
FYI: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
1. PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed Review
The PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed is always a popular choice among pet parents, and consistently appears on my “top 5” lists.
It doesn’t actually come in medium specifically, but both the small and the large would work just find for your mid-sized dog.
The smaller size holds up to 50lbs without an issue, while the larger would be better for lanky dogs.
Features & Pros
- Made with premium memory foam in the base and recycled polyfill support in the generously filled bolsters.
- The cover is made from durable & comfortable poly/cotton twill.
- Water-resistant and tear-resistant cover with a non-skid bottom.
- Easy to clean, just wipe off hair or toss the cover in the washing machine.
- The zippers aren’t the most durable and have a tendency to fall apart.
- While the cover is tear-resistant for normal usage, if your dog is a digger it won’t last.
- It is not water-proof, so if your dog has an accident, it will seep through.
I’ve always liked the PetFusion, but only for relatively calm dogs. If you have a chewer or digger, it’s just not going to hold up.
The price is about average and customers really do love this bed.
Yes, the zippers seem to be a recurring issue, but for the most part the bed holds up well to normal use.
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS & BETTER HEALTH: (i) SOLID 4 inch MEMORY FOAM base for superior overall comfort, reduced joint pain (arthritis) and improved health, mobility, & energy. (ii) Calming bed for dogs who suffer from anxiety. (iii) Recycled 'green' support bolsters are generously filled. (iv) Durable & comfortable polyester (65%) & cotton (35%) twill
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Base & bolsters provide optimal support & security. (ii) Water resistant & tear resistant cover. (iii) Non-skid bottom. (iv) Blends in seamlessly with your home. (v) Replacement covers available separately
- EASY TO CLEAN: (i) Removable cover is machine washable. (ii) Simple to spot clean & remove hair. Tumble dry on gentle setting. Do not use bleach when washing
- IDEAL FOR MEDIUM / LARGE OR MULTIPLE SMALLER DOGS: (i) 36 x 28 x 9 inches. Can easily hold 100+ pounds. (ii) [Search Pet Fusion large pet blanket for new matching Blanket]
- PEACE OF MIND: (i) Passes stricter European REACH safety standards. (ii) Cover fabric certified as 'SKIN CONTACT SAFE'. (iii) 'Bolsters' pre-loaded into cover, simply insert memory foam base & zip closed. (iv) 24 month on any part that is broken due to manufacturer defect
- ADDED VALUE-- EXCLUSIVE COUPON CODE FOR ROVER () nationwide Dog Boarding, Dog Daycare, Dog walking, Dog sitting services: (i) $40 coupon for NEW Rover customers only
2. BarkBox Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed Review
BarkBox, the same company that makes those fun subscription boxes for dogs, also makes a comfy bed for your medium pups!
The BarkBox Dog Bed is great for pretty much all medium dogs, from Aussies to Shibas! Let’s see why!
Features & Pros
- Made with a combination of ergonomic memory foam and gel foam to soothe aching joints.
- The lush exterior is super cozy and gentle on your dog’s sensitive skin.
- Both the cover and the removable top fleece layer of the bed is machine-washable.
- Designed to fit the Scandinavian Hygge trend, so it looks nice in your home.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty for Amazon customers.
- Also includes a fun toy surprise in the box!
- It’s not chew-proof at all, nor is it water-proof. Accidents WILL seep through.
- The bed takes a while to fluff up (so don’t expect your dog to be able to use it right out of the box).
- The zipper is not very durable (this seems to be a common issue with most dog beds, though)
I’m a big fan of the Bark company as a whole. They have excellent customer service, which makes me feel confident in recommending this bed.
Since it’s not chew-proof, though, standard rules apply: don’t buy it for a puppy who is still in the chewing stage.
Another note to keep in mind: while the medium size is just right, if you’re also shopping for larger dogs, the large size runs small.
- HIGH QUALITY COMFORT: The therapeutic gel memory foam comforts your dog by relieving body aches, joint pain, hip dysplasia, and arthritis, and giving optimal therapeutic support. It also works great as a cat bed, or a portable dog cuddler!
- WATERPROOF & MACHINE WASHABLE: Easily combat accidents and keep your dog’s bed looking and smelling fresh and clean. No more messes! The zippered cover slides off seamlessly for convenient cleaning! Just throw it in the wash and it’ll be good as new.
- MULTIPLE SIZES: Pick the perfect size for your pup! Available in Small (16" x 24" x 3"), Medium (22" x 32” x 3”), Large (22" x 35” x 3”), and Extra Large (41’ x 29’ x4”). Arrives as a vacuum packed bed in a box, easily unzip and let it inflate for up to 72 hours!
- NEUTRAL GREY COLOR: Our BarkBox bolster dog bed comes in a light grey! The perfect neutral, cozy color to match your home decor and conceal your dog’s fur. This high quality dog bed comes with a bonus surprise toy that your dog will love!
- PERFECT DOG SOFA FOR MEDIUM DOGS: Can’t find a comfortable, high quality bed for your dog? This BarkBox dog bed comfortably fits dog breeds like Australian Cattle Dogs, Aussies, Bulldogs & Cocker Spaniels. Get the bed your dog deserves!
3. K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed Review
For those who need something that can hold up to a teething puppy, the K9 Ballistics (aka Cujo Cot) is a great pick!
Features & Pros
- One of the most chew-proof beds on Amazon (along with the Kuranda).
- Waterproof and highly durable RIPSTOP fabric resists scratches and biting.
- Easy to spot clean and hose down for a deeper washing.
- Raised design helps evening distribute your dog’s weight across the cot.
- Fits inside most standard crates.
- 180-Day Warranty: If your dog damages the fabric, they’ll replace it.
- The frame corners have a tendency to break according to some users.
- Some dogs do not like the elevated design (mine being one of them, alas).
- Tends to be a bit noisy when dogs get on it.
I personally love the elevated design of the Cujo Cot. I also love that there’s no stuffing to rip out!
That said, my dog won’t use her raised bed.
I bought a cheaper brand as a test run because I wanted to get her this or the Kuranda, but she only sits on it for a minute or so.
Basically, the moment she sees one of my cats sleeping on it, she suddenly wants to use it!
Still, if your dog will sleep on it, this is a great buy!
- Chew Proof Dog Bed: For dogs who persistently chew their beds, and who've turned lesser dog beds into a pile of rags. Not just chew resistant, this dog bed is an indestructible dog bed.
- Chew Resistant Dog Bed: This elevated dog bed resists all destructive dog habits such as chewing, biting, scratching, digging, and nesting. This is due in part to the full aluminum dog bed design, and also to the ripstop ballistic fabric used for the bed.
- Indestructible Dog Bed: Even persistent chewing dogs cannot destroy this bed. Though some dogs may damage the fabric bed sling, we back it with a 180 Day Chew Proof Warranty. (see details below)
- Crate Dog Bed: Designed to fit in all standard size dog crates. This crate dog bed fits snuggly (not tight) without any gaps. This helps keep your dog safe in his crate, and also helps prevent damage a dog's attempts to damage the crate dog bed.
- 180-Day Chew Proof Warranty: If your dog damages the dog bed fabric sling within the first 180 days, we'll replace the fabric once free of charge.
4. BUDDYREST Romeo Orthopedic Bolster Dog Bed Review
The BuddyRest Romeo is my favorite medium sized dog bed and an all-around fabulous choice!
The only reason it’s not in the #1 spot is the price. It’s a little out of reach for pet parents on modest budgets.
Features & Pros
- It’s actually Veterinarian Recommended, especially for older dogs.
- The foam is pressure calibrated to relieve joint pain.
- LiftTex technology makes it easier for dogs to get on and off the bed.
- Includes a 100% Waterproof outer suede cover.
- Kevlar stitching holds the bed together.
- Handmade in the USA with components also from the US
- Comes with a 10-year guarantee.
- It’s a rather expensive dog bed. The medium will run you over $300.
- Sizes run a bit small, so if your dog is on the higher end of the 20-40 pound range, you may need to go a size up.
- It’s not chew-proof, and the inside of the bed isn’t waterproof.
If it’s in your budget and your dog doesn’t chew, you can’t go wrong here.
It’s a super comfy bed, making it perfect for senior dogs.
Just keep in mind that the dimensions are for the whole bed and not the sleeping surface (the bolsters take up part of it).
- Veterinarian Recommended and pressure calibrated to relieve arthritic pain and promote joint health
- Innovative and patented LiftTex technology helps older dogs enter and exit the bed
- 10 year Guarantee. Kevlar Thread provides 5x the seam strength of any other bed.
- 100% Waterproof outside suede cover! No need for cheap liners that build up heat.
- Handmade by Master Craftsman in the USA with 100% USA sourced materials
5. Best Friends by Sheri Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler Review
The Best Friends by Sheri cuddler bed is a great choice if you want something super snugly and a little different than the typical rectangular bed.
Features & Pros
- The rounded shape is perfect for dogs who like to sleep curled up.
- A raised rim supports your dog’s head and neck, and adds an extra feeling of security.
- Made with durably nylon and faux fur.
- The faux fur mimics the feeling of snuggling up against a mama dog.
- Machine-washable outer shell, but make sure you dry it in the dryer right away.
- No padding in the middle (hence the “donut” name), so not ideal for dogs with joint problems.
- The fur can be a bit too warm in the summer months.
- Not chew-proof or water-proof (not really anything-proof, to be honest)
- Huge price jump between the small and medium, compared to medium and large.
While I do love this bed (and most customers agree), it’s best for very specific types of sleepers (dogs who sleep curled up).
It’s also not ideal for teething puppies, chewers, or dogs with arthritis and other joint problems.
Considering the huge price jump between the 30″ and the 36″ bed, if your dog is under 45lbs, go with with smaller one!
- Supports better sleep: Thanks to its round shape, our high-quality zippered donut cuddler puppy bed is ideal for pets who love to curl up! The raised rim creates a sense of security and provides head and neck support, while the super-soft filling offers joint and muscle pain relief.
- Superior Comfort: Cozy, flexible and finished with faux shag fur, our warming luxury zippered dog bed is reminiscent of a mother’s fur coat! Paired with deep crevices that allow your pet to burrow, animals will have full, restful sleep for improved behavior and better health.
- Versatile design: Available in BEAUTIFULLY natural colors, our pet pillows are a seamless addition to any room’s décor! And because they’re finished with water and dirt-resistant bottoms, They help prevent accidental messes from reaching your floors.
- Pet-safe materials: durable nylon and luxurious faux fur come together to create dog mattresses that are as practical as they are comfortable! For added convenience, This bed Is zippered with a fully removable shell. The shell is safe in the washing machine and dryer, minimizing pet odors and excess hair.
- Satisfaction : when choosing your dog pillow, we suggest the 23” bed for cats or small breeds up to 25lbs, The 30” bed for medium dog breeds up to 45lbs, The 36” bed for large dog breeds up to 100lbs, and the 45” for extra large dog breeds greater than 100lbs.
- Important care instructions: To avoid matting of the Fur, It is important that the bed is thoroughly dried in dryer directly after washing. Do not Air dry. This bed Is Not suitable for puppies or dogs with excessive teething or chewing behavior.
The best bed for your medium dog depends entirely on whether or not you have a chewer on your hands! After that, it depends on your budget.
- If you have a large budget and a non-chewer, the Buddyrest is my personal favorite.
- For those with teething pups or chewers, go with the K9 Ballistics.
- If your dog sleeps curled up, the Best Friends by Sheri is a good option.
Obviously, I think all of the options are great, otherwise they wouldn’t be on a list of the best dog beds for medium dogs!
Do you have anything to add? What are your picks for the best dog beds for medium dogs? Share below!
Last update on 2020-01-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API