If you’re looking for a complete Romeo Orthopedic Bolster Dog Bed review, I’ve got you covered!
The Romeo happens to be one of my favorite BuddyRest dog beds for so many wonderful reasons!
Today, we’ll talk about the features and pros that make this such a fabulous choice.
We’ll also talk about some of the cons, because even the best dog bed has its flaws.
By the end, you’ll know for sure if this is the right bed for your pooch!
Content & Quick Navigation
What’s an Orthopedic Bolster Dog Bed?
Before we dive into our Romeo Orthopedic Bolster Dog Bed review, it helps if we know what an orthopedic bolster bed is in the first place.
Let’s break it up into two parts: the orthopedic part and the “bolster” part.
What is an orthopedic dog bed?
An orthopedic dog bed is basically a bed designed to both relieve and evenly distribute pressure on your dog’s bones and joints.
I won’t go too crazy here, as we’ve talked in great detail about orthopedic dog beds in the past.
Plus, since you’re searching for one particular bed, I’m betting you already have a good idea of what they are.
Basically, they help take the weight off your dog’s hips, spine, and major joints, allowing them to rest more comfortably.
They’re not just for old dogs, either! Just about any age and stage can benefit from an orthopedic dog bed.
What is a bolster bed?
A bolster bed is exactly what it sounds like: a bed that includes bolsters. What are bolsters, though?
The word means “to support or strengthen, to prop up,” and that’s exactly what they do in the Romeo Bolster Bed.
They support (or prop up) your dog’s head while also sort of cradling his back. Basically, it turns a flat bed into more like a doggy sofa.
When I lay on my couch to read, I use the arm as a head rest and lean into the back of the couch for support. Same concept here, except your dog isn’t reading a book!
Now that we have an idea of what the Romeo Orthopedic Bolster Dog Bed is, let’s take a look at that review. Keep reading after that for tips on how to decide if this is the right bed for your dog.
FYI: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
BuddyRest Romeo Orthopedic Bolster Dog Bed Review
The BuddyRest Romeo Orthopedic Bolster Dog Bed takes everything you love about the Juliet bed and adds supportive bolsters.
It’s kind of clever, really. Romeo essentially “bolsters” and supports Juliet!
View this post on Instagram
Working hard or hardly working 🤣 . Looking for a new bed for your pup? We have a 100 Day Risk Free Guarantee . If your dog doesn’t like his bed you may return it within 100 days to receive a full refund. Subject to terms and conditions. . Man’s best friend deserves the BEST dog bed ever. . Photo credit 📸 @dani.n.rae
Let’s take a look at the top features and the pros of the bed, then we’ll talk cons. FYI, I combine the features and pros because often they’re one in the same.
Features and Pros
Check out the list for the basics, then we’ll talk about a few more of the standout features in more detail.
- Made with the highest quality, genuine viscoelastic memory foam
- Uses patented LiftTex technology to help your senior dog get on and off the bed
- Outer suede cover is 100% waterproof so you don’t need to buy extra liners
- The overstuffed AdaptaLoft cloud fluff bolster is removable
- Kevlar thread stitching at the seam is 5 times stronger than regular thread, so it won’t fall apart.
- Handmade in the USA with all materials sourced from the US (many companies make beds in the states with materials sourced elsewhere)
- Comes with a 10-year guarantee.
- Available in three sizes (medium, large, and XL) and three colors. We’ll get into more detail about those below.
Let’s take a closer look at a few things that really stand out to me.
View this post on Instagram
I like big beds and I cannot lie 😜 . Man’s best friend deserves Dogs best dog bed. . We have a background in the Human mattress industry. . 100 day trial period is offered too. So that you can make sure your investment in your pup is the right one. Visit 🔗 in bio to learn how our beds compare.
#1 High-quality memory foam
Not all memory foam is created equal. If you’ve ever slept on a cheap foam topper, then switched to a high-quality memory foam bed, you know what I’m talking about.
Some dog beds use cheap foam that traps heat and flattens like a pancake after a few months of use.
The BuddyRest Orthopedic Romeo Bolster dog bed, on the other hand, uses a super high-quality “viscoelastic” foam that provides whole-body support AND keeps your dog from overheating.
#2 Waterproof outer cover
Who wants to spend extra money on a waterproof liner after dropping a pretty penny for a high-quality orthopedic dog bed?
Not me, that’s for sure! Fortunately, the Romeo is waterproof right out of the box.
The High-Tech performance fabric also makes it easy to clean and won’t get smelly over time. Bonus! No one wants a stinky dog bed!
While the entire bed is washable, BuddyRest claims that you’ll only need to wash it about twice a year, thanks to that wonderful fabric.
#3 LiftTex Technology
Although the LiftTex feature is an overall part of their high-quality memory foam, it deserves its own spot on my “favorite pros” list.
According to BuddyRest, “This high-quality foam insert is made with viscoelastic memory foam bonded to a synthetic latex mobility layer that aids older dogs entry and exit from the bed.”
Basically, it provides a little extra “lift” for your senior dog. If you’ve ever seen your elderly dog struggle to get up after laying down you know what a “pro” this is.
#4 Kevlar Thread Stitching
Kevlar is the same material used in bulletproof vests, so you know it’s tough! Using Kevlar thread to hold the bed together means it’s not going to pop apart at the seams!
If you have a dainty little dog, this isn’t such a huge deal. However, for dogs that like to “plop” like mine, it’s a major plus!
#5 Entirely made in the USA
Although “made in the USA” isn’t as important with dog beds as it is with things like treats and food to me, I know it’s a huge pro to others.
I like that the Romeo is entirely made in the US and not just assembled here using bits and pieces of unknown origin.
Now that you know what I love about the Romeo Orthopedic Bolster bed, let’s take a look at the downsides.
It’s hard to find many cons about this bed because everyone I talk to loves it (and everyone who reviews it on Amazon also seems to love it).
Still, nothing is perfect! Here are a few cons that I came up with.
- Price is a bit high for a dog bed, especially if you need the XL. Of course, price is relative, so you may find it perfectly reasonable.
- Misleading sizes: while they’re not purposely misleading, the dimensions are for the entire bed and not the actual sleep surface. See below for more.
- Bottom is not waterproof, but rather “resistant.” It’s easy enough to clean, though, and some customers recommend putting a puppy pad under it.
- Replacement covers are expensive! A medium replacement cover runs $159 on the BuddyRest website.
Nothing too horrific in the cons, right? Although I’m not loving the price of replacement covers!
Then again, the covers are designed to be tough in the first place, so there’s a strong chance you’ll never need to buy one.
Before we decide if it’s the right bed for your dog, let’s just quickly talk about those sizes, since we mentioned them in both the pros and the cons.
Romeo Orthopedic Bolster Bed Sizes
The Romeo Orthopedic Bolster dog bed comes in three sizes: medium, large, and extra-large.
If you’re wondering what happened to “small,” you’re not alone. I have no idea why dog bed companies ditched the small, but it seems to be common.
The dimensions for each bed are as follows:
- Medium: 34″ L 23″ W x 12″ H
- Large: 38″ Lx 30″Wx 12″ H
- Extra Large: 50″ L x 34″ W x 12″ H
Now, here’s the problem with those dimensions: they’re for the entire bed and not just the part where your dog actually sleeps.
In other words, they include the bolsters, which as you can see make up a fairly good chunk of the bed.
Choosing the right size involves a lot of guesswork because BuddyRest doesn’t really give you the “usable space” dimensions.
Essentially, you should buy a size larger than what you think you need.
The problem? The next size up involves a HUGE price jump. I’m talking 100 extra bucks.
So keep that in mind as you shop for the Romeo!
- Vet Recommended to relieve joint pain and improve mobility
- Water Resistant Smart Suede offers protections from spills, messes, and stains
- Temperature Neutral foam means comfort for your dog, no matter the season
- Machine Washable cover makes clean up a breeze
Now that we’ve covered all the pros and cons, let’s figure out if it’s the right bed for your dog.
Is the Romeo Orthopedic Bolster Dog Bed Right for Your Dog?
If you can answer “yes” to the following questions, then the Romeo might be a great fit (I say might because there are no guarantees in life)
- Do I have a senior dog with aching joints?
- Does my dog struggle to get up or down off her bed?
- Does she sleep curled up in a ball?
- Can I afford this bed? (Remember, you’ll most likely need a size larger than you think)
- Do I need something that’s completely waterproof?
- Will my dog use it?
View this post on Instagram
I just want to have my dog live the best life possible. . And my best friend deserve the best dog bed. When they have is their bed and toys! . We provide the BEST dog bed in the market. Click on our link in bio to learn how we stack up. . 100 DAY RISK FREE GUARANTEE . Want to see if your dog or dogs will like their new bed without the risks? . You may return for a full refund within 100 days. Bed must be in like new condition with no stains or damage. . Please read the Warranty section prior to purchasing. . We do ask you try the bed for at least 10 days to give your dog the time to get used to it. . . . #dogbed #dogsofinsta #bulldog #dogsofig #englishbulldog #bulldogsofinstagram #frenchbulldog #dogsofinstaworld #frenchie #bully #dogslife #bulldogs #doglove #bulldoglife #theworldofbullies #squishyfacecrew #bulldoglove #dogofinstagram #dogs_of_instagram #bullylife #doggies #doglife #doglovers #loveabully #petzzrule #frenchies #dogscorner #ijustwantthebestformydog #puppygram
On the other hand, if you answer “yes” to these questions, the Romeo isn’t for you.
- Does my dog like to sprawl out to sleep? (A bolster bed isn’t ideal for sprawlers)
- Has she rejected other bolster beds? (If she hated the cheap one you bought, she’s not going to like the expensive one any better!)
- Do I need to choose between buying this bed and paying my electric bill? (There are cheaper beds that work great, so don’t go broke buying this one if you can’t afford it)
- Does my dog like to chew beds apart? (It’s not a chew-proof bed and as we saw, replacement covers are costly)
After all of that, maybe you’re wondering which side I come down on in the “is the Romeo Orthopedic Bolster bed a good dog bed?” debate.
Honestly, I love it in general, but it’s not right for my current dog. She’s a sprawler, so a bolster bed wouldn’t work for her.
For her, I’d go with the Juliet because it doesn’t include bolster.
- Relieves arthritic pain and helps dogs with mobility issues
- Does not get hot like other memory foam dog beds
- Utilizing high tech Crypton performance fabrics, it's waterproof, stays clean, doesn't smell and rarely needs washed. No longer will you have to constantly wash smelly dog beds covers
However, since you came here looking specifically for a bolster bed review, I’m guessing you already know you want a sofa-like bed for your dog.
In that case, I can absolutely recommend the BuddyRest Romeo!
Do you have anything to add to my Romeo Orthopedic Bolster Dog Bed Review? Share below!