Fido in need of new digs but your budget doesn’t exactly have a lot of wiggle room for a decent prefab dog house?
If you’re even remotely crafty, you can save a fortune by trying out one of these stylish pallet dog house designs!
Let’s check them out!
RELATED: dog house bedding for summer
DIY Stylish Pallet Dog House Designs
- Cottage Style Pallet Dog House– From the Instructables website, by DIY Andrea, includes 15 steps on building a cottage style pallet dog house. It has received 12,069 views and was 2nd Place in the 2015 Backyard Contest.
- DIY Waterproof Pallet Bed: Need a waterproof dog bed that doesn’t cost a fortune? DIY this cool pallet bed!
- Doghouse Pallet Beach House– This 18:34 YouTube video, along with the link for the 15:25 Part 2 video, by Craft Klatch, shows you how to build a Key West inspired beach dog house. Besides instructions on the build, the videos also include instructions on creating the sandy front yard, as well as exterior and interior decorating tips. Written instructions can be found here.
- How to Build a Dog House with Recycled Pallets– This 20:41 YouTube video, by Silverline Tools TV, shows you how to build a stylish dog house, using pallets. Silverline TV manufacturers hand tools, power tools, building materials, tool storage options and more.
- How to Build a Dog Kennel from Pallet Wood– This 37:55 YouTube video, from TA Fishing Show, shows you how to build a dog kennel, using pallet wood. The episode is from the DIY section of the show.
- How to Make a Doghouse with Pallets– This 42:09 YouTube video, by Josep Farre, shows you how to easily build a dog house with pallets, complete with step-by-step instructions. Written instructions can be found here.
- Luxury Pallet Kennel with Sun Deck– From the Instructables website, by Saffrey, includes 8 steps on building a luxury pallet kennel with sun deck, insulated walls and sloped roof. It has received 45,690 views and was the Runner-Up in the 2014 Pallet Contest.
- Painted Pallet Dog Playhouse– This 8:44 YouTube video, by Recyclart, provides complete instructions on building this spacious, painted pallet dog playhouse. Written instructions can be found here.
- Pallet Dog House with Veranda Roof– From the DIY Craftsy website, this pallet dog house with veranda roof project has been pinned to Pinterest over 14,000 times. Step by step instructions are included along with images.
- Wooden Pallet Dog Playhouse– From the website, www.Ana-White.com, this project shows you basic model instructions with materials list and tools list. The stylish dog house costs under $20 to build and is ideal for intermediate skill levels.
Tips for building a pallet dog house
Not sure where to look for pallets? Head to local businesses! Your grocery store, furniture stores, and other places that regularly get larger shipments will be the best bet. When you’re building your pallet dog house, make sure you keep your pup’s safety in mind. Build it in a shady yet relatively dry area in your yard. You’ll want it to stay cool in the summer yet not be too exposed to the elements in the winter. Don’t put it too far away from your house. You don’t want your dog to feel like he’s being moved into another zip code!
Size also matters. As tempting as it is to build Fido a mansion, cozy is better, especially on chilly days. He’ll need enough room to stand up and turn around, but not so much room that he feels like he has a whole separate space to do his business. Opt for a slanted roof, especially if you live in a particularly rainy or snowy area. While I love the natural wood look of pallets, if you do decide to paint your dog’s house, make sure you buy a good non-toxic paint that’s designed to withstand the elements. The same goes for your nails, screws, and other hardware. You want galvanized or waterproof options.
When you’re done building your pallet dog house, give it a once-over from your dog’s perspective. I’m not saying you have to get down on your hands and knees and crawl around in it (although that would help!), but just go over it and make sure you didn’t leave any sharp corners or exposed hardware.