Looking for the best toys for deaf dogs?
I’ve got you covered!
Today, we’ll check out ten fantastic toys that stimulate your dog’s other senses and provide hours of entertainment!
We’ll also quickly go over what to consider when buying deaf dog toys.
Let’s get started!
Content & Quick Navigation
What to Consider When Buying Deaf Dog Toys
Before we check out my top ten favorite toys for deaf dogs, let’s very quickly talk about what you should look for when you’re shopping.
Overall, buying a deaf dog toys isn’t much different than buying them for a hearing dog.
In fact, you can even buy them squeaky toys!
Just because they can’t hear the sound doesn’t mean they don’t enjoy the experience of tearing the squeaker out!
That said, I do have a few tips on buying toys that your hearing-impaired pup will enjoy! Let’s take a look.
Go for toys with a fun tactile experience
Puppies spend just as much time exploring with their mouths as they do with their ears and eyes.
Tactile toys like crunchy water bottles, soft plush, and rubber teething toys give your dog a chance to experience new textures.
Along with buying some of the toys below, you can also make your own fun crunchy dog toy!
Just put an empty plastic water bottle inside a sock, then tightly tie the sock shut. I keep all my mate-less socks now just for this purpose!
Choose mentally stimulating toys
Interactive puzzle toys offer plenty of mental stimulation for your deaf dog.
I personally love “hide a treat” type puzzles (like #8) because they not only mentally stimulate but also engage your dog’s sense of smell.
Choose visually stimulating toys
Visually stimulating toys like glow-in-the-dark balls or light-up toys engage your dog’s sense of sight (obviously) and may even help calm him down.
A study performed on rescue dogs (hearing dogs, but it applies here, too) found that visually stimulated dogs barked less and seemed less agitated overall.
Don’t forget the plush!
Plush toys may not seem all that stimulating, but they’re still an important feature in your deaf dog’s toy box!
First, some dogs love to cuddle with soft toys, so they act as a comfort toy. A “lovey” if you will.
However, even if your dog just tears it to pieces, it still gives them a chance to have a little destructive fun!
I have a dog with an incredibly high prey drive and destroying a plush toy helps alleviate some of her frustrations over not being able to catch Mr. Chipmunk.
Now that you have a general idea of what to look for in toys for deaf dogs, let’s check out my top 10 favorites!
Top 10 Best Toys for Deaf Dogs
Use the table below to find the best toys for deaf dogs at a glance, then read on for more details.
I’ve broken the table into two sections to make it easier for you. The first five toys are on the table below, then the last five above #6.
Make sense? Good! Let’s get started!
By the way, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
1. Light-up NERF Barbell Dog Toys Review
Did you know that NERF makes an entire line of dog toys? We’ve had quite a few, including these light-up barbells.
Features & Pros
- LED lights provide a visually fun way to play at night.
- The shape of the toy along with the ridged texture helps keep teeth clean.
- Made from food-grade rubber and designed to be durable.
- The shape makes is super easy for both you and your dog to pick up.
- Barbell shape makes it easy for dogs to pick up and encourages active use
One of the pros is also the only major con: the LED lights.
This isn’t a toy that you can just give to your dog and walk away.
You need to carefully supervise playtime and remove the toy as soon as they come close to breaking through the rubber.
In other words, the moment you think they’ll be able to get to the LED lights, it’s time to toss the toy.
The lights inside this fun NERF dog toy make it a great visually stimulating toy but only if you very carefully supervise playtime.
NERF toys aren’t indestructible but they do last a relatively long time, even in my house with my aggressive chewer.
- NERF-TOUGH: Nerf-quality materials make our Bash Barbell toys perfect for fetch and for teaching your dog new tricks
- HIGH VISIBILITY: The bright LED lights make for easy tracking for you and your pet, no matter where or how far you sling it
- MADE TO LAST: Lightweight, durable, and weather & water resistant
- FOR MEDIUM AND LARGE BREEDS: At 7 inches long, these Bash Barbells is ideal for medium and large breeds
- SAFETY FIRST: Designed with you dog's safety in mind, each of our dog toys are tested to ensure endless hours of family fun
2. Chuckit! Flying Squirrel Review
The Chuckit! Flying Squirrel makes for a great “fetch” toy because you can use it just about anywhere.
Features & Pros
- Perfect shape for tossing and fetching!
- The lightweight material floats on water, so you can play with it in the pool.
- Soft enough to throw inside the house, as long as you use common sense and don’t throw it at a lamp or the TV!
- Stimulating colors make it easy for both you and your dog to see.
- Glows in the dark for nighttime fun!
I see a lot of complaints about how this toy is “nothing like a Frisbee,” which is ridiculous because it doesn’t claim to be one!
Right in the description it states that it’s best for short-range games of fetch.
Once you eliminate the “no really, you don’t say” complaints, the only major con is durability. It’s not really designed to hold up to chewing.
I am a big fan of Chuckit! toys (you’ll notice that another one of their toys follows this one).
The Flying Squirrel isn’t designed for Frisbee champs but it is a fun little toy to toss over short distances!
If you have an aggressive chewer and you want this toy to last, make it a “togetherness time” play toy.
Basically, play fetch with it, then put it away. Don’t let your dog tear it apart.
- Designed For Action: This fetch dog toy for small dogs is aerodynamic and designed for a smooth glide dogs love to track and fetch. Great for playing fetch in the yard or park. Soft yet durable canvas is gentle on your dog's teeth and gums
- Durable And Lightweight Toy For Dogs: Made of a durable polyester canvas, this lightweight fetch toy's bright colors provide increased visibility, and it floats enabling games of fetch on land or in water
- Sizing Matters: Size small measures 8.25" x 8.25" and is suitable for a wide variety of small to medium dog breeds. While its canvas construction is durable, it's not intended as a chew toy. Always supervise your pet when playing with this dog toy
- Make Fetch Happen: Chuckit Performance Toys Are Designed With You And Your Dog In Mind; Try Our Full Range Of Interactive Indoor And Outdoor Dog Toys Including Tumblers, Flyers, Fetch Toys, Chew Toys Other Balls For Dogs And More
- Chuckit Fetch Pet Toys: Chuckit makes indoor and outdoor dog toys that enrich the human-animal bond and helps dogs and puppies stay engaged. Try our full line of ball launchers, puppy toys, flying discs, tennis balls for dogs, dog chew toys, and more
3. Chuckit! Max Glow Kick Fetch Ball
It’s hard to tell in the picture but the Max Glow is actually pretty big. Think slightly smaller than a soccer ball.
Features & Pros
- Fun for both you and your dog! It’s big enough for you to kick or punt.
- Glows for up to 30 minutes per “charge” (stick it under the light to charge it).
- Made of rubber and foam so it can float on the water, too.
- Grooves make it easy for your dog to pick up.
- Durable enough to hold up to outdoor play.
While it’s durable in the sense that you can kick it around and your dog can mouth it to pick up, it’s not really designed to hold up to chewing.
While I love the visual stimulation of the glow ball, if you want something that will last a bit longer you can go with the regular orange and blue one.
According to some other customers, this style seems to last a bit longer.
- FUN FOR PETS AND PET PARENTS: This 7.5 inch Glow in the Dark ball satisfies your dog's natural chasing instincts. Pet parents can kick, throw or punt this fetch toy, allowing for hours of interactive fun for your pet. Recharge the glow by simply exposing to bright light
- FLOATS IN WATER: Canvas, rubber and foam construction of this Chuckit fetch toy allows engaging playtime on land or water while being gentle on your pet's teeth and gums
- EASY PICK-UP: Featuring deep ridges, dogs can easily grab the Chuckit durable dog toy for quick retrieval. And pet parents can just kick it, without having to worry about pet slobber
- HIGH-VISIBILITY COLORS: High contrasting glow in the dark colors allow your pet to easily spot this bright dog ball in tall grass or large open fields during outdoor play. No batteries required
- DURABLE DESIGN: Hold up to rough and tumble dogs, the Chuckit Kick Fetch features a tough, durable outer layer of canvas and rubber with a soft foam core
4. Rocco & Roxie Nearly Indestructible Ball Review
If you want something that’s a lot more durable and also supports smaller “boutique” pet companies, try the Rocco & Roxie ball!
Features & Pros
- Every aspect of this ball is made with the safest materials possible. No BPS, no phthalates, no other nasty chemicals or metals.
- Designed to hold up against light chewing and outdoor play.
- Super simple (it’s basically just a ball) yet still manages to be stylish!
- Made in the USA and comes with a money-back guarantee.
Despite the name, I found multiple customers complaining that it wasn’t quite as indestructible as they though it would be.
I think it’s important to note the word “NEARLY,” as in “still possible to destroy.”
Although it’s a bit expensive for a dog ball, I feel like the safety standards make it worthwhile.
It’s not designed for super aggressive chewers but it should hold up to light gnawing.
- SUPER SAFE No toxic BPAs. No phthalates, latex or heavy metals. Nothing bad for her to chew on or ingest. Instead—simply high-quality thermoplastic elastomer material specifically designed with pet safety in mind.
- TOUGH STUFF Rocco proof! Personally tested, pounced upon and thoroughly chewed by Rocco, our resident toy shredder, and found to be virtually indestructible. Fade-resistant and holds up to being left outside in bad weather too!
- PLAY BALL! Just the thing for your playful pup: hours of tail-wagging, fetch-able fun. And stylish too, in sophisticated navy (2.5” ball) or powder blue (4” ball).
- 100% GUARANTEED Made in the U.S.A.. Easy to clean. Backed by our unconditional guarantee: if this ball doesn’t hold up to your highest expectations and your dog’s craziest roughhousing, bounce it back for a refund.
5. DIFFLIFE Snuffle Mat for Dogs Review
Snuffle mats are all the rage right now because they encourage your dog’s natural hunting and foraging skills.
I looked at a bunch of different ones and this turned out to be my favorite.
Features & Pros
- Encourages hunting, foraging and nosework.
- Made of strong, durable wool that won’t easily tear.
- Rolls up to store away when your dog is done playing, and includes easy carrying handles.
- Made with upcylced materials.
You absolutely have to supervise “snuffle” time because your dog can tear off pieces of material and ingest them.
That’s not a con so much as a warning.
As far as cons go, the only minor issue with this particular mat is that the strips could be a little closer together.
I actually tried to make my own snuffle mat for Freya and it’s still half-done in my closet.
It’s doable, but SUPER time consuming! I spent 4 hours just tying the fleece material throughout half of the mat!
Seriously, you’re better off buying one, and this one is a great choice.
- 🐶【Rich Feeding Game】 This dog puzzle toys for large dogs helps to enhance your dog's smell to hunt. It helps to train nose and brain reaction ability of the dogs, consume your dog's energy and lose weight. Keep your dog occupied and avoid your dog being bored and engaged in destructive behavior.
- 🐶【Happy and Healthy Growth】This snuffle mat for large dogs can attract the pets attention and play good role in guiding them, reducing their anxiety and improving their natural foraging skills. Which can improve the dog's mental health and reduce stomach diseases caused by indigestion.
- 🐶【Non-Slip and Portable Design】The bottom of this interactive pet puzzle toy comes with a non-slip design, can preventing it from tipping over and moving. The compact design can be folded and put into the storage bag, easy to carry, perfect for travel and on the go.
- 🐶【Eco-Friendly & Easy to Clean】 Our enrichment pet foraging mat is made of high quality eco-friendly sustainable anti pilling polar fleece material, Which are sturdy and durable, not easily damaged, friendly to pets, and will not harm their bodies. You can wash it in machine or wash by hand.
- 🐶【Quality Warranty】We are committed to making your and your dog's lives easier and more fun! Please do not hesitate to contact us anytime of you have any questions or concerns.
6. Kong Stuff-a-Ball Review
KONG toys are pretty much a standard feature in just about every house with a dog for a good reason: they’re designed to last!
While the standard KONG is fun, I prefer the Stuff-a-Ball for my pup!
Features & Pros
- Made with the same durable rubber as classic KONG toys.
- The patented ridges help clean your dog’s teeth.
- Comes in three different sizes for all dogs.
- Roomy enough inside to stuff with all sorts of goodies!
This particular KONG toy is not really designed for aggressive chewers.
If your dog chews like crazy, you’re better off with their more durable line of black toys.
KONG toys are great for encouraging your dog to use his nose and his noggin to get the treats out of the middle.
Just remember, the red toys aren’t made for aggressive chewers. You’ll need the black ones for that.
If you need some ideas on what to put in them, check out these treats that you can stuff into a KONG!
- Durability: The natural KONG Classic red rubber formula is created to be durable and long lasting for average chewing dogs
- Great For Stuffing: The KONG Stuff-A-Ball is even more enticing when the center and patented Denta-Ridges are stuffed with KONG Easy Treat and Snacks
- Teeth Cleaning: The strategically designed Denta-Ridges help to clean teeth and gums for improved dental hygiene
- Toy Sizing: Small made for dogs size up to 20 lbs (up to 9 kg), Medium made for dogs size 15-35 lbs (7-16 kg), Large made for dogs size 30-65 lbs (13-30 kg); Power Chewers increase one or two sizes or try KONG Extreme
- Made in the USA. Globally Sourced Materials
7. ZippyPaws Hide and Seek Unicorns in Rainbow Dog Toy Review
We have a few different ZippyPaws hide and seek toys right now but I’m totally loving the unicorns!
Features & Pros
- Let’s start with the obvious: it’s insanely adorable!
- Super durable squeaker in each of the unicorns. While your deaf dog can’t hear the squeak, he’ll still enjoy feeling it inside his toy.
- Great interactive puzzle. Put the unicorns in the rainbow and watch your dog dig them out!
- Just the right size for most dogs.
It’s a plush toy, so it’s not really going to hold up against heavy chewing.
Also, one thing I’ve noticed with our ZippyPaws toys: the “house” (or in this case, rainbow) isn’t as durable as the characters that go into it.
Although these toys aren’t really made for chewers, for some inexplicable reason my dog has yet to destroy her little animals (she has the panda one).
It’s funny because I see a lot of other dog parents saying the same thing. Their dogs destroy everything in sight, but not their ZippyPaws toys.
They’re relatively inexpensive toys so even if you have a chewer, they’re worth grabbing!
- Dog Squeak Toys - Relieve your pup's boredom with this interactive burrow dog toy that gives your furry friend hours of fun. Watch them burrow and dig the Unicorns out of the Rainbow over and over.
- Durable Dog Toys for Chewers - This squeaky unicorn toy is a must-have for your dog. Each individual toy has an irresistible noise maker to keep your best friend entertained all summer.
- Rainbow Pride Swag - Dogs will have hours of fun playing with this rainbow unicorn burrow. The vibrant rainbow colors make this summer toy a must-have in any pride collection!
- Rainbow Pride Dog Toys - Looking for rainbow pride accessories for your furry friend? This rainbow unicorn toy is perfect for medium and large dogs of all life stages.
- Dog Summer Essentials - Beautifully designed, high-quality dog products for the modern dog and dog owner. Machine washable on gentle cycle with mild detergent. Tumble dry low for maximum fluffiness.
8. Outward Hound Ottosson Puzzle Brick Dog Toy Review
We currently have another Outward Hound puzzle toy, but this one is next on my list to buy.
Features & Pros
- The puzzle provides your dog with mental stimulation while also encouraging their hunting skills.
- This one comes with three different treat hiding features so once your dog bores of one, switch to another.
- Since it’s made of plastic, it’s easier to clean than the wooden version.
This is another toy that requires close supervision.
Do not allow your dog to chew on it, as the pieces can be dangerous when detached from the toy.
The only other complaint that I see is that super smart dogs can master it fairly quickly.
As I said, we have another version of this toy and my dog loves it.
Yes, she mastered it pretty fast but it’s still a fun bonding game that we play together every night.
As soon as she’s done hunting treats, I put the toy away. That way she never has a chance to chew on it. Ours has lasted over a year so far.
- BOREDOM BUSTER INTERACTIVE DOG TOY: As one of our most popular intermediate level 2 designs, the Dog Brick interactive puzzle includes additional obstacles and combinations of steps that will keep your dog focused and mentally-stimulated as they search and sniff out the tasty treats!
- FLIP, LIFT, & SLIDE TO HIDE TREATS: The Nina Ottosson Dog Brick comes with 3 types of treat hiding compartments to test your furry' friends skills! Flip lid compartments open and slide to reveal two separate treat hiding spots while removable brick bones conceal the third hidden compartments in this puzzle dog toy.
- ENCOURAGES POSITIVE PLAY HABITS: This fun and rewarding puzzle is great for reducing anxious dog behavior and redirecting destructive behavior.
- BPA, PVC & PHTHALATE-FREE: Nina Ottosson by Outward Hound interactive treat dog puzzles are designed with your pet's health in mind from food safe materials that you can trust with your dog. Easy to clean with warm water and soap between uses.
- PLAY IT SAFE: No toy is indestructible. Do not leave toys with unsupervised pets. Remove and replace toy if damaged.
9. PETGEEK Interactive Smart Dog Toy Review
For the ultimate interactive fun experience, try the PETGEEK smart toy!
Features & Pros
- Made with super durable high-quality plastic and each component is locked up so your dog can’t chew his way through to them.
- Toy rolls around and changes directions, giving your dog the thrill of the hunt.
- Activated with just a gentle touch from your dog.
- Goes into standby mode when not in use to conserve batteries.
- Fill it with dog food or small treats. As a feeder, it’s great for gobblers. In other words, it’s a fun slow-feeder option.
The only major con that I can see is the fact that batteries only last 7 hours in active mode.
While it does go into standby when your dog isn’t using it, I can see my cats messing with it and draining the batteries pretty quickly.
I like this toy as a fun interactive way to get your dog to stop gobbling up all of his food, but since it’s made of plastic it does require supervision.
- 【Safe and Durable】 This IQ treat ball toy is ultra-durable, made of high-quality and durable ABS plastic. Each component is locked up tightly to uphold rough chewing and prevent parts from falling apart
- 【Automatic Movement& Energy Efficiency】This automatic electronic dog food dispenser contain maximum 380ml of kibble or small treats(sized up to 0.3 inches) , which can be activated by gentle touch from pet.The dog interactive food dispenser has unexpected movements which can last for 7 hours in rolling mode and go into standby mode after a period of no operation to save energy (You need to install 2 AAA batteries, not included in the package)
- 【Mental Stimulation& Physical Exercise】This dog food ball dispenser will engage your pets for a long time to fight boredom and separation anxiety. The pet iq treat ball can also help training dog’s IQ and encourage physical exercises as they are figuring out how to release the treats. It is an ideal dog food toy to help your dogs satisfy pet’s natural hunting instinct and avoid destructive behaviors
- 【Slow Feeder Ball】There are two adjustable windows of dog dog feeder ball to release treats which allows for different levels of difficulty. Smaller window requires for more mental and physical exercises as they have to work harder to get treats out. It will help them develop slowing eating habit and aid with digestion and bloating
- 【Easy to Use &Clean】The interactive dog treat ball feeder is pretty easy to work on for both you and your pets. Just fill the dog food dispenser toy, start the device and let your dog roll and play with the ball. All parts of IQ treat ball dog toy are dishwasher-safe except for the power core. Please wash and dry the washable parts before using again
- 【Notice】We guarantee every product we sell is in undamaged, clean, and brand-new condition. If you spot any damage on product upon on the day of receipt, please kindly contact our customer service team for help
10. BarkBox Subscription
If you want a constant supply of fun new toys for your deaf dog, consider getting a BarkBox subscription!
We tried out one of their boxes (Destroyer’s Club) and my dogs had a blast. Yes, they destroyed all of the toys, but that was kind of the point!
Features & Pros
- Every box comes with at least $45 worth of toys and treats for your dog.
- Each month revolves around a different fun theme and goodies are never repeated.
- Gives you a chance to try out new treats as well as toys!
- Toys are exclusive to BarkBox and include some really hilarious designs!
- All of the treats are made in the USA with high-quality ingredients.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
I’m having a really hard time coming up with cons for BarkBox because our experience has been so wonderful with them.
I do see some customers complaining that the toys aren’t ideal for small dogs, but I think if you’re careful to choose the right box you shouldn’t have an issue.
While you can buy BarkBox on Amazon, I recommend checking out their website for the latest deals. Some current examples include:
- Free Krusty Krab Multi-part Toy with your first BarkBox!
- Get BarkBox’s limited-edition Simpsons box! Discover original toys, healthy treats, and endless fun, all inspired by TV’s most iconic family, plus a FREE upgrade when you sign up now. (value $35)
- Daycare & Dog Walker Exclusive: Free Extra Month
- Double Stuffed Upgrade to your first BarkBox! ($35 value)
Get a monthly box of dog goodies for as low as $23/month. Start now!
Remember, whether you have a deaf dog or a hearing dog, it’s a good idea to buy a variety of different types of toys to prevent boredom!
Ideally, you want to engage all of your dog’s other senses, so try to choose one from each category!
Do you have any other picks for the best toys for deaf dogs? Share below!
Last update on 2023-09-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API