Dogs have come a long way since the days of being satisfied with a bone to chew on. Thanks to modern technology, all sorts of gadgets and devices are available to help make your pup’s life more comfortable, safe, and fun. From GPS-enabled collars to dog-friendly smartphones, check out these top five dog technology trends that are worth your money, along with my favorite options for each one!
Content & Quick Navigation
Top 5 Dog Technology Trends of 2022
If you’re in a hurry and just want to see what’s out there without reading a whole lot of “blah blah blah,” I’ve got your back. Check out the table below for a quick peek at my top recommendation for each of the dog tech gadgets that we’ll be discussing below.
FYI, this post includes affiliate links. If you decide to buy something through them, we’ll earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
1. Tracking Collars
Tracking collars are becoming more and more popular and for a good reason. They offer a lot of benefits for both dogs and their owners. For one thing, they’re a great way to keep track of your dog’s whereabouts. They use GPS to track your dog’s location and can send you alerts if your dog leaves a particular area.
For that reason, they’re perfect for safety purposes. If Fido ever gets lost, you can use it to find them quickly. And if there’s ever an emergency, you can use the collar to track your dog’s location and get them to safety quickly.
Another neat feature is that these collars typically double as a “doggy Fit Bit.” In other words, you can use them to track your dog’s activity levels and ensure they’re getting enough exercise.
Tracking collars are best for:
- People with “runners” and little escape artists, or anyone who wants to make sure they can quickly and easily locate their dog.
- Anyone who needs to track their dog’s activity throughout the day.
Our Favorite Smart Collar:
You really can’t go wrong with the Tractive Waterproof GPS Dog Tracker! It’s one of the highest-rated tracking collars on Amazon (4 stars across 10K+ ratings), and it lets you track everything from your pup’s location to their activity levels. The only major downside is that you need a subscription, but you’ll find that’s the case with pretty much all dog tech gadgets these days.
- REAL-TIME GPS TRACKING: See the location of your dog and track them anywhere with no distance limit
- MARKET LEADER: Trusted by millions of customers and winner of numerous international awards; rated 4.7 out of 5 on Trustpilot (based on almost 20k reviews)
- WORKS WITH SUBSCRIPTION: The subscription covers all the costs of the integrated SIM card and data, starting from $5/month (varies depending on subscription plan); try it for free with our 30 day...
- BATTERY LIFE: Go up to 15 days without charging, the exact time will vary based on coverage, usage, and activity
- WORKS ABROAD: Worldwide coverage (175+ countries) with unlimited data and range to enjoy a worry-free vacation with your pet
- ESCAPE ALERTS: A notification gets sent straight to your phone when your dog leaves your custom-made area
- GET HEALTH ALERTS: Your tracker monitors and tracks the sleep quality and activity patterns of your pet; when it detects something unusual, you'll get an alert via email
- ACTIVITY TRACKING: Keep your dog fit and healthy by monitoring your dog's Wellness Score; compare your pet's activity level with that of all other pets of the same breed
- WATERPROOF: The Tractive Dog Tracker fits dogs as small as 8.5 lbs and is 100% waterproof
2. Fitness monitors
While you can buy a GPS collar that includes activity tracking, sometimes you don’t really want to go that route. Maybe you don’t want to spend all of that money. Or perhaps your dog needs a very specific type of collar (for example, long-necked dogs need different collars than short-necked pups). Whatever the reason, you can skip the GPS and just something that will monitor Fido’s fitness.
Dog “Fitbits” are best for:
- Those who want to track their dog’s fitness but don’t need to constantly track their location.
- Dogs with health conditions that either restrict or encourage more physical activity.
Our Favorite Dog Fitness Monitor:
There really aren’t many dog fitness monitors without GPS tracking. That’s fine, though, because my top pick more than does the job! The Fit Bark scores 4.5 stars across just under 1,000 ratings. It’s lightweight, easy to use, and has a long-lasting battery. You can even link it with your own fitness tracker! Plus, the GPS-free one doesn’t require any sort of subscription, so there are no hidden “after purchase” costs.
- 🐾 ACTIVITY. Monitor activity, sleep quality, distance, calorie balance and overall health & behavior 24/7. Set ideal goals vs. breed, age & weight peers. Add multiple dogs and owners in our apps....
- 🔋 BATTERY. Exceptional battery life up to 6 months. Worry less about recharging and more about bonding with your pup! Lightweight (10 g). Fits dogs of any size and most collars up to 1.5” wide....
- 👩⚕️ HEALTH. Catch early signs of discomfort or disease. Monitor mobility, anxiety and skin conditions through changes in the FitBark Health Index and Sleep Score. Invite your trainer or...
- 🏃♀️ MOTIVATION. Works with your Fitbit, Apple Watch, Apple HealthKit or Google Fit wearable device or smartphone. Compare stats side by side and start building healthy & safe habits...
- 🎓 SCIENCE. Trusted by 100+ veterinary schools & research institutions that strive to advance science, including the University of Cambridge and the Mayo Clinic. Join users from 140+ countries in...
3. Smart feeders (food and water bowls)
Smart feeders are one of the most popular dog technology trends for a good reason! They are a great way to ensure your dog has access to food on a regular schedule. They’re great for busy pet owners who may not always be home to feed their dogs since you can program them to dispense food (and/or water, depending on the model) at specific times.
Some smart feeders also come with additional features, such as monitoring your dog’s eating habits or receiving alerts when the food or water levels are low. They can be expensive, but they are worth the investment to ensure your dog is always well-fed and hydrated.
Smart feeders are best for:
- People who work outside of the home or have to leave their dogs home alone for hours at a time.
- Anyone who needs to monitor exactly how much their dogs are eating and drinking, either out of curiosity or for health reasons (such as diabetes or obesity).
Our Favorite Smart Feeders
There are quite a few intelligent feeders on the market, so you can choose one that best suits your needs. Personally, I love this one by WOPET. While it’s mostly marketed toward cat owners, it’s perfect for pups, too! It holds 6 liters of food, and you can program it using your smartphone. The downside is that it only holds dry food (no water or wet food), but my dog primarily eats kibble anyway, so that’s not an issue.
- SMARTPHONE PROGRAMMING: Control your pet's meal time from anywhere using your smartphone; Program up to 15 meals to feed on your pet's schedule; 1-50 portions per meals, about 5g per portions,Allows...
- RECORD A CUSTOM MESSAGE FOR YOUR PET: Keep your pet excited about meal times! Press and hold the record button to begin recording a voice message to be played as each feeding dispenses....
- DUAL POWER SUPPLY :WOPET pet feeder is wall powered and/or battery powered. In case of a power outage, the feeder will continue to function on 3 D-size batteries to assure your pet gets fed (batteries...
- OPERATING TIPS - Suitable for dry food only, with the food pellet size within 5-15mm, up to 15 meals a day. Download the Pet Zero iOS/Android app for free. Compatible with iOS 9.0 or or later or a...
- Customizable Feeder Great for Dogs, Cats and Small Animals of Various Sizes.Several users can use with the same account of the pet feeder, you can sharing your favorite moment with your family and...
4. High-Tech Dog Toys
High-tech toys are worth your money if you’re looking for a way to keep your dog engaged and entertained. There are a lot of different options on the market, so you’ll be able to find one that’s perfect for your pup‘s personality.
Some of the most popular high-tech dog toys move around independently, dispensing treats as your dog plays. Others include ones that allow you to interact with your dog remotely, using a smartphone or tablet.
High-tech dog toys are best for:
- Dog owners who can’t really play fetch or sit on the floor with their pups for playtime.
- Anyone who needs a fun way to keep their dogs entertained.
Our favorite high-tech dog toy
It’s harder to choose a favorite here because there are so many different types of high-tech dog toys. Overall, though, I really like the PetSafe Treat & Train. First, it has 4.5 stars, which is almost unheard of for a pet tech toy on Amazon. Second, it doubles as a training gadget AND a treat dispenser toy. While you can’t control it from outside of your home via an app or anything, you can control it from up to 100 feet away with the included remote.
Check out some more of our favorite interactive dog toys!
- PRAISE YOUR DOG: Trains your pet through positive reinforcement
- COMMUNICATE: Links a food reward to desired good behavior
- VERSATILE: Extendable training wand can be used with or without the base
- TRAIN FROM A DISTANCE: Hand held remote operates up to 100 feet away
- FOR DOGS OF ALL SIZES: Remote reward dog trainer for pet owners and professionals; all breeds and ages of dogs
- LEARN TO TRAIN YOUR PUP: Comes with detailed instructions to help make training easy
- U.S.-BASED CUSTOMER CARE: Our pet product experts are here to help you and your pet and are available by phone, email or chat if you have any questions
- QUALITY PROMISE: PetSafe brand has been a trusted global leader in pet behavior, containment and lifestyle innovations since 1998 to help keep your pet healthy, safe and happy
5. Pet Cameras (to watch them when you’re away)
This is definitely one of my favorite dog technology trends! Pet cameras are a great way to watch your furry friend while you’re away from home. There are a variety of them on the market, so you can choose one that fits your needs and budget.
As far as features go, it really depends on which one you get. Obviously, they all have some sort of visual capability. In other words, you can see Fido from anywhere at any time. Most offer some sort of audio feature. Some only let you hear what’s going on in your home. The better ones act as two-way radios, so you can speak to Fido.
The really good ones have extra features, including dispensing treats and taking photos or videos. Some pet cameras even have night vision so you can check on your pet 24/7.
Pet cameras are best for:
- People who work outside the home. Pet cameras are a great way to provide your pet some companionship while you’re away from home.
- They can also help you monitor your pet’s health and well-being. If you notice any changes in your pet’s behavior, you can contact your veterinarian immediately.
Our top Pick
Again, there are quite a few options in a huge range of prices. If you want something that does more than just allow you to check on your dog, though, I highly recommend Petcube Bites 2 Wi-Fi Camera with Treat Dispenser. It’s their priciest camera, but it’s the only one that lets you give your dog a treat from anywhere at any time.
You’ll need a subscription IF you want to save the videos or detect motion. If you just want to check in on your dogs in real-time, you don’t need it.
- 🎥 Ultimate pet monitoring – With Petcube Bites Wi-Fi pet camera, watch your pet with 1080p full HD video, 160° ultra-wide angle view, and night vision. See up close with 4x zoom. 🔊Hear &...
- 🚀Quick 2-minute setup – Petcube Bites 2 is the only pet camera to support 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wi-Fi connections. iOS 11 and higher, Android 7.1.2 and higher are required.
- 🍖Treat your pet remotely – Toss treats short, medium, or long distance or schedule automatic treat dispensing via the free Petcube app. Supports a wide range of dry, crunchy dog and cat treats....
- 🔔 Smart sound & motion alerts – Real-time notifications tell you when your pet is active and you need to check in.
- 🎶 Built-in Alexa assistant – Play music, answer questions, hear the news, control smart home devices, order your pet’s favourite treats, and more — all via your Bites 2 smart pet cam. Voice...
With new advances made pretty much every single day, I can only imagine where dog tech trends will go next! Maybe they’ll figure out a way to convert dog-speak to human-speak! That would be neat, right? In the meantime, though, these trends above definitely help make caring for our furries besties a lot easier!
What are your favorite dog technology trends? What gadgets do you hope to see in the future? Share below!
Last update on 2023-11-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API