Don’t have time to search the internet for all the best orthopedic dog bed reviews?
Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
Today, we’re going to talk about my top 5 picks, all in one spot!
By the time we’re done, you’ll know exactly which bed is best for your dog…and your budget!
Let’s get started, shall we?
Related: Top 15 Best Heated Dog Beds
Why Choose an Orthopedic Dog Bed
Before we dive into those orthopedic dog bed reviews, let’s quickly recap the benefits of this type of bed.
1. Great support for injured or senior dogs
First and foremost, orthopedic dog beds are fantastic for giving our senior dogs or pups with injuries the extra support that they need.
I don’t know about you, but the older I get, the achier I get. The same holds true for our canine companions.
Even if your dog is still quite spry in her advanced age, you can bet that she’s “feeling it” by the end of the day.
My German Shepherd was active during the day up until a little after her 13th birthday, but at night she started moving slowly and groaning when she got up.
An orthopedic dog bed really helped relieve her aching joints, especially since she could no longer jump up to sleep on MY orthopedic bed.
This type of bedding is also great for dogs recovering from injuries, especially those that affect their joints and bones.
2. Comfortable for dogs of all ages
Your dog doesn’t have to be a senior to appreciate the comfort of a memory foam dog bed!
Even puppies will love the added support and comfort of a bed that that supports their growing body.
Think of it this way: would you wait until you qualified for the senior citizens’ discount before buying the most comfortable bed you could afford?
3. Most bang for your buck
Dollar for dollar, I really do feel that orthopedic dog beds give you the most bang for your buck.
Yes, you’ll need to put out a few more of those bucks upfront, but it’s worth it because most of the beds come with a warranty.
Consider this: would you rather spend $100 a year on “cheap” dog beds, or $200-300 once for a bed that lasts 10 years?
Now that we have a good overview of why you would want to buy an orthopedic dog bed, let’s get into the reviews of my top 5 picks, shall we?
Orthopedic Dog Bed Reviews at a Glance
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Let’s take a quick glance at the top 5 beds that we’ll be talking about, shall we?
Check this review of a bolster orthopaedic dog bed
Orthopedic Dog Bed Reviews: Top 5 Overall
If you’re a long-time reader, chances are you’ve heard us talk about each of these beds (along with many others) over the last year.
There’s a reason they keep appearing in our dog bed recommendations: they really are the best of the best!
1. Kuranda Chew-Proof Dog Bed
I am a huge fan of the All-aluminum Kuranda dog bed with heavy duty vinyl.
If you think a bed without memory foam can’t be orthopedic, think again!
Features & Pros
- The strong vinyl stretches across the frame to provide your dog with even support and no pressure points.
- Sturdy frame holds dogs up to 250 lbs (as long as you get the largest size)
- The vinyl material is hypoallergenic, making it great fog dogs with sensitive skin.
- It’s a cinch to clean, just hose it down and let it dry!
- It truly is virtually indestructible as long as you get the all-aluminum and heavy duty vinyl option.
- Waterproof, making it good for outdoor use.
- It can be tricky to put together, especially if you’re doing it on your own.
- Some dogs just plain don’t like the design, since it’s different from the average bed.
- Only one model is chew-proof, and only certain fabrics are covered under the warranty. This makes it a bit confusing to buy.
The Kuranda comes in 5 sizes ranging from small to XL, and as mentioned above, the XL fits dogs up to 250 pounds.
That means even your Great Dane or Cane Corso could easily fit on it!
This is definitely one of my favorite orthopedic dog beds. I love that there’s no stuffing, so dogs like mine who are constantly set to “destroy” mode have nothing to defluff.
I love that you can use it both indoors and outside.
- Chew Proof Dog Bed: For dogs who persistently chew their beds, and who've turned lesser dog beds into a pile of rags. Not just chew resistant, this dog bed is an indestructible dog bed.
- Chew Resistant Dog Bed: This elevated dog bed resists all destructive dog habits such as chewing, biting, scratching, digging, and nesting. This is due in part to the full aluminum dog bed design, and also to the ripstop ballistic fabric used for the bed.
- Indestructible Dog Bed: Even persistent chewing dogs cannot destroy this bed. Though some dogs may damage the fabric bed sling, we back it with a 180 Day Chew Proof Warranty. (see details below)
- Crate Dog Bed: Designed to fit in all standard size dog crates. This crate dog bed fits snuggly (not tight) without any gaps. This helps keep your dog safe in his crate, and also helps prevent damage a dog's attempts to damage the crate dog bed.
- 180-Day Chew Proof Warranty: If your dog damages the dog bed fabric sling within the first 180 days, we'll replace the fabric once free of charge.
Related: Best eco friendly orthopedic dog beds
2. Big Barker Dog Bed
The Big Barker Dog Bed is my top favorite mid-price bed for large breed dogs.
I adore the fact that they actually understand what “large breed” means, because I see many companies making “large” beds that would barely fit a beagle.
My favorite is the regular Big Barker Dog Bed, the one that comes with a bolster. However, you can also get a Sleek model that’s all level.
Let’s look at what I love…and the very few things that I don’t adore.
- 7″ thick orthopedic therapeutic-grade memory foam dense enough to keep large breeds from sinking into it.
- Open-cell memory foam allows air to flow through and keeps your dog from getting too hot.
- As mentioned above, it’s specifically made for big dogs, hence the name Big Barker.
- All of the materials and the bed are made in the USA.
- 10-year warranty guaranteeing that it won’t flatten like a crepe (I keep saying pancake and wanted to switch it up!)
- Features a machine washable, non-shrink microfiber cover that easily zips off for cleaning.
- Does not come with a waterproof liner, you have to buy it separately.
- It’s not made for smaller dogs. While this is a pro for me, if you have a small breed pup, you’ll want to look at another option.
As I said, these beds are made for the big guys & girls! The Large is the smallest size and, like the OMG, it’s ideal for Goldens and labs.
The Giant is made for dogs about the size of a Great Dane.
If you have a big dog and a medium-sized budget, the Big Barker is a fabulous option. It’s not the cheapest bed on the list, but it’s also far from the priciest.
I don’t love that you have to buy the waterproof liner separate, especially since so many of the other beds come with one.
However, this could actually be a plus if your dog isn’t accident-prone, because you’re not paying extra for something you don’t really need.
- CALIBRATED FOR BIG DOGS: Available in Large, XL, Giant XXL dog bed sizes. Too powerful for small dogs.
- 10 YEAR WARRANTY: Foam will retain 90% of original shape & loft for 10 years or your money back.
- WON'T FLATTEN: American made therapeutic foam is the best quality you'll find in orthopedic dog beds. Won't flatten or pancake over time.
- MADE IN THE USA: Handmade by craftsmen and craftswomen in our small Pennsylvania workshop that's been making high end furniture & bedding for over 50 years.
- EASY TO CLEAN: machine washable. 100% Microfiber cover. Soft to the touch, looks great in your home.
3. BuddyRest Crown Supreme
When we did our BuddyRest vs. Big Barker comparison, the BuddyRest came out ahead by just a smidge, mainly because it can hold up to my somewhat destructive Pharaoh Hound.
By “somewhat destructive,” what I’m really saying is: she eats every bed we’ve given her! Chew-resistance is an important feature in my quest for the perfect orthopedic dog bed.
I also love the couch-like style, especially since my Freya likes to be fully enveloped in comfort when she sleeps. Let’s see how this one measures up with the pros and cons.
- At 5″ thick, the memory foam is just right for dogs who don’t like to climb up into bed.
- Made with “True Cool Memory Foam” on the top to keep your dog cool.
- Comes with a machine-washable cover right out of the box
- Handmade in the USA
- Chew resistant and guaranteed to last ten years
- Couch-like style creates an added sense of security for your dog.
- Not made for giant breeds.
- As the 2nd-most expensive bed on the list, you’ll definitely need a good-sized budget for this one.
The BuddyRest Crown Supreme comes in three sizes from medium to XL. However, the XL is only 48″ L x 32″ W, making it ideal for dogs no larger than a lab.
The BuddyRest Crown Supreme is my #1 choice for medium-sized dogs between 20-40 pounds up to the smaller end of large breeds.
It’s also my top pick for dogs who like to chew everything in sight!
If you have a dog that loves to sleep on the sofa, the style of this bed may just be enough to get them to give up their spot to you!
- Vet recommended to promote better joint health in all dogs, Helps relieve arthritic joint pain
- Luxury gel pet bed provides blissful comfort and orthopedic support to improve joint health, while providing maximum durability
- Utilizing high tech Crypton performance fabrics, it stays clean, doesn't smell and rarely needs washed
- Stays hypoallergenic and prevents bacteria growth
- Chew resistant and guaranteed to last ten years, handmade in the USA
- Medium Size 33" L x 24" W x 11 H" W / inside area 25.5" x 21"
You might want to consider these dog beds for medium sized dogs
4. PetFusion Ultimate Dog Lounge
View this post on Instagram
Maxi chillin on his new #petfusion XL jumbo bed 💤 😴 💤 . #gsd #gsdstagram #gsdloverss #gsdnation #gsdlife #gsddaily #gsdpage #gsdsofigworld #gsdsofinstagram #gsdsofig #gsdsociety #gsdsoftheworld #germanshepherd #dog #dogsofinstagram #dogstagram #doggo #doggy #dogsofinstaworld #doggie #dog_features #instadog #instagsd #dogphotography #petfusion
If the first three beds are just a little too far out of your price range, these last two picks may be a little more what you’re looking for.
The PetFusion Ultimate Dog Lounge starts at under $100 and maxes out at under $250.
Let’s see whether this one might fit your needs!
- 6″ solid memory foam base for maximum comfort.
- Recycled materials in the generously filled bolsters.
- Water-resistant and tear-resistant cover.
- Non-skid bottom to keep it in place.
- Easy to clean with its removable, machine-washable outer cover.
- Passes European REACH safety standards
- Cover and zipper aren’t the most durable.
- Not made in the USA
Comes in four sizes from small to XXL. According to PetFusion, the XL can support up to 200 lbs.
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS & BETTER HEALTH: (i) SOLID 4 inch MEMORY FOAM base for superior overall comfort, reduced joint pain (arthritis) and improved health, mobility, & energy. (ii) Calming bed for dogs who suffer from anxiety. (iii) Recycled 'green' support bolsters are generously filled. (iv) Durable & comfortable polyester (65%) & cotton (35%) twill
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Base & bolsters provide optimal support & security. (ii) Water resistant & tear resistant cover. (iii) Non-skid bottom. (iv) Blends in seamlessly with your home. (v) Replacement covers available separately
- PEACE OF MIND: (i) Certi-PUR-US Memory foam. NO mercury, lead, formaldehyde, phthalates, & ozone depleters. (ii) Low VOC emissions for indoor air quality. (iii) Passes stricter European REACH safety standards. (iv) Cover fabric certified as 'SKIN CONTACT SAFE'.
- IDEAL FOR MEDIUM / LARGE OR MULTIPLE SMALLER DOGS: (i) 36 x 28 x 9 inches. Can easily hold 100+ pounds. (ii) [Search Pet Fusion large pet blanket for new matching Blanket]
- WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW: (i) 'Bolsters' pre-loaded into cover, simply insert memory foam base & zip closed. (ii) EASY TO CLEAN, removable cover is machine washable. (iii) Simple to spot clean & remove hair. Tumble dry on gentle setting. Do not use bleach when washing. (iv) 36 Month on any part that is broken due to manufacturer defect.
5. KOPEKS Orthopedic Dog Bed
If you’re looking for another fairly budget-friendly option, you really can’t go wrong with the KOPEKS Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed.
The plush and comfy bed features a built-in pillow and 100% orthopedic-grade memory foam, the same stuff you’ll find in high-end mattresses for humans.
- Two machine-washable zippered covers for maximum protection, making it a great option for senior dogs with occasional bladder issues.
- Filled with orthopedic memory foam that cushions your dog’s aching joints.
- Built-in pillow bolster so your pup can rest his head in comfort!
- Anti-slip bottom keeps it from sliding all over the floor when your pooch moves around.
- The foam and the pillow can take a few days to fluff up.
- Has a distinct odor when you first open the package. The odor can take up to a week to go away.
The KOPEKS Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bead comes in three different sizes: small, large, and jumbo XL.
While the fluffing factor may be an issue for those who need a comfy dog bed right away, overall the KOPEKS Orthopedic Dog Bed comes highly recommended by most buyers.
The reasonable price tag for all sizes (even the Jumbo XL comes in at under $125) makes this one of the top 5 contenders for best orthopedic dog bed of the year.
I love that it features not one but two totally washable covers to really protect against accidents.
- ✔️Dimensions: 50”L x 34”W x 7” thick memory foam plus a 3” thick headrest
- ✔️Hypo-allergenic premium Memory foam - not egg crate foam or other orthorpedic non memory foams - Compare to therapeutic foam found in high end mattress stores
- ✔️Special loving: great for pets with Arthritis or joint and muscle issues
- ✔️Double layer protection – interior cover: waterproof fabric Zippered Cover/ exterior cover: soft, plush Suede with an Ant-Slip bottom zippered cover
- ✔️KOPEKS is a registered trademark and Best-Seller of pet accessories.
How to Choose the Right One for Your Dog
Now that you’ve had a chance to read through our top orthopedic dog bed reviews, it’s time to decide which is right for your pup!
Let me give you an insight into my buying process to help you out. Here’s what I ask myself before buying a dog bed:
1. Can I afford it?
I’m not going to risk getting my electric shut off just to buy my dogs the best bed on the market.
If it’s out of my price range, it’s out of my price range. End of story.
Do not go into debt to buy a dog bed!
2. Will my dog eat it?
For those of us with aggressive chewers, we need to ask ourselves this before investing in a pricey bed.
If the bed doesn’t come with a chew-resistant cover and a warranty, then I have to move on.
Now, if your dog isn’t a mad chewer, you don’t have to worry about this so much!
3. Is it comfortable enough?
My pit mix can get comfy in the weirdest places but my Pharaoh Hound is a total diva. I joke that she misunderstands the “Pharaoh” in her name.
Rather than be a hound for the Pharaohs, she believes she is a Pharoah in a hound body and should be adored as such.
So her bed needs to be more than just comfortable, it needs to be of the utmost comfort! Otherwise, she won’t sleep on it.
Even a cheap bed is a waste of money if your dog won’t go near it!
4. Will it fit my home?
I’m not talking about whether it will fit my decor. Honestly, I don’t really have a “decor” theme, just a bunch of stuff that sort of matches!
I’m talking about literally: do I have enough floor space for it?
Along with this, you’ll want to think about where you’ll be using it!
For example, I’m planning to get a dog bed for my bedroom because Mocha (my pit mix) doesn’t like to sleep on the bed.
My room is tiny, so I need something comfy that will fit right in front of my dresser and easily be shoved aside when I put laundry away.
As you can see from these orthopedic dog bed reviews, any of these five options could work well for your dog. The question is, which one works best?
That’s something you have to decide. I’ve given you all the pertinent info, but only you know what’s best for your dog!
Do you have anything to add to these orthopedic dog bed reviews? Which would you choose? Share below!
Last update on 2020-08-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API