Not sure how to choose the best dog blankets?
We’ve got you covered!
Our complete guide helps you pick the perfect blanket for every purpose!
Choosing the best dog blankets can take a lot of your time, especially if you are not sure exactly what you want before you start the search.
It’s worth it, though, to make your dog more comfortable, cozy, and warm, during the winter months (or cool during the summer).
Today, I’m sharing everything you need to know about picking out the perfect blanket for your dog!
But before I do that, let’s first take a look at things you need to consider when you choose the right blanket for your pooch.
Content & Quick Navigation
How to Choose the Best Dog Blanket?
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Choosing a dog blanket isn’t quite as complicated as picking out the best dog bedding, but it does still require some thought. Pay special attention to these things when you choose a blanket for your pooch:
The first thing to consider is why you want to get your dog a blanket.
Think about the purpose:
- Is it meant to keep him warm and cozy on chilly nights?: You need to look for something plush and comfy
- Do you just need something that you can drape over the couch to keep your furniture clean? You can get away with a thinner blanket
- You’ll also need to consider whether you plan to use it indoors or outdoors in a dog house.
One of the most important factors to consider is the size of the blanket. Dog blankets are available in many sizes and you need to choose the size that will suit your pooch.
Choose a smaller blanket if you have a small breed or a puppy, but look for large sizes if you have a big dog. Don’t buy a small blanket for a large dog or a ginormous blanket for a toy breed. It’ll end up being a waste of money.
When it comes to dog blankets, there really isn’t a standard size guide. Your best bet is to take note of the blanket’s measurements and get something that is about an inch or two bigger than your dog all around. So if your dog is 25″ from neck to tail, choose a blanket in the 27″ range.
The material from which the blanket is made is important because the quality of the blanket depends on it.
Cotton or wool blankets are probably the softest and warmest choice to keep your dog cozy at night. Sherpa and fleece are also often used and are very popular choices.
Take a look at some of the most common materials used in dog blankets, along with their pros and cons:
|Type of Materials
|Inexpensive, strong, mildew-resistant, dries quickly
|Stains easily, doesn’t “breathe” so it’s hot in the summer
|Super soft & gentle, warm, machine-washable
|Tends to “pill,” not water-resistant on its own, requires more frequent washing
|Heavyweight, dense & warm
|Not as soft as synthetic sherpa, tends to pill
|Soft, breathable, hypoallergenic
|Prone to shrinking in dryer, not very durable
|Insulates well, soft, easy to wash
|Can be made of many different materials, some of which are not hypoallergenic.
Check out this post on HomeSoftThings for a more detailed overview of all the different materials that are used to make blankets.
Unless you have enough time to check on your dog’s bedding regularly and clean often, you should choose blankets that are hair, dust and water proof to save a lot of time on maintaining your dog’s sleeping area.
You’ll also want something that you can toss into the washing machine as needed. Blankets tend to get dirty faster than dog beds!
Even though the price of the blanket shouldn’t be the first thing on your mind, it is still an important thing to consider, especially if you are on a tight budget. In most cases, the price reflects the quality of the blanket, but that is not always the case.
In those cases where this is true, you should also keep in mind that quality blankets will last longer and probably cost less in the long run than bad-quality, cheap blankets.
Now that you know what to look for in a dog blanket, let’s check out some of our top choices!
Dog Blankets for Couch Potato Pups
Does your dog spend a lot of time on the couch?
If that is the case, you should choose a suitable dog blanket that will make him even more comfortable when he takes your spot on the couch.
Take a look at our top two choices!
|West Paw Big Sky Dog Blanket
|Stylish, Comfortable, Machine Washable, Multiple Sizes, Reversible
|Furhaven Warming Blanket
|Warm, Comfortable, Affordable, Reversible, Machine Washable
|Only neutral colors
1. West Paw Big Sky Dog Blanket and Throw
- A favorite among pet parents, this is a great choice if you are looking for a couch dog blanket, but you can also use it for any other type of furniture or even for your car.
- West Paw Big Sky Blanket is fashionable and attractive and you can choose which side of the blanket you want to use.
- One side is made out of soft fabric, while the other side is made of faux suede.
- This blanket can protect your furniture from unwanted pet hair and it is machine washable.
- You can get this blanket in three different sizes, making it perfect for any breed.
- Quality is guaranteed since this product is made in the USA.
Pros: Stylish, Comfortable, Machine Washable, Multiple Sizes, Reversible
2. Furhaven Soft-Edge Waterproof Warming Blanket
This one by Furhaven is great if your older dog has some mild bladder leakage issues but still loves to lay on the couch, since it repels liquids.
- It comes in 4 different sizes ranging from small to jumbo, so you should have no problem finding the perfect fit for your pooch, whether he’s a chihuahua or a Great Dane!
- One side of this blanket is water-resistant terry material (like a towel or bathrobe) and the other is super soft fleece-like material.
- There’s a “self-warming” core between the layers, making this a good fit for keeping your best friends warm during the winter.
- This throw is machine washable and can keep your furniture protected from hair and other dog-related issues.
Pros: Warm, Comfortable, Affordable, Reversible, Machine Washable
Cons: Only comes in neutral colors (if that can be considered a con at all).
Car Dog Blankets
If your dog is often traveling with you in your car, then you certainly need something to keep your car seats clean and keep your dog comfortable at the same time.
|Epica Luxury Car Seat Cover
|Machine Washable, Durable, Comfortable, Waterproof, Affordable
|Has to Be Fitted
|KritterWorld Snuggle Blanket
|Affordable, Comfortable, Strong, Machine Washable, Multiple Colors, Reversible, Luxurious
|One size only
1. 4knines Multi-Function Split Rear Seat Cover
4Knines specializes in dog car seat covers, so you really can’t go wrong with them when you need one. They offer different options designed to fit pretty much every vehicle imaginable. The patented split cover is perfect for cars like mine that have pull-down cup holders in the back.
- Easy access to all of your seatbelts AND to your fold-down seats (and, of course, cup holder)
- Comes in two sizes to make finding the right fit for your car easier.
- 4 color options (black, grey, tan, and camo-patterned)
- Waterproof and slip-proof quilted layer
- Comes with a lifetime warranty that covers defects
Pros: Machine Washable, Durable, Comfortable, Waterproof Layer, Lifetime warranty
Cons: Zippers and seams are NOT waterproof, not ideal for heavy chewers
By the way, if you’re looking for a great car blanket that gives back to animals in need, you’ll love 4Knines. They donate a portion of every sale to animal advocacy groups, including several that help support veterans. Check out their “Giving Back” page to learn more about the organizations they support.
2. KritterWorld Snuggle Blanket for Car
Another quality and affordable solution for car blankets is KritterWorld Car Blanket.
- This blanket is made of polyester, but it has plush micro fleece on one side and soft Sherpa material (lamb wool) on the other side.
- This blanket measures 50″ x 60″ and is only available in one size.
- However, it is available in multiple colors.
- This blanket can effectively keep pet hair off upholstery and furniture.
- Even though it is primarily for cars, you can also use it indoors to protect your couch or sofa.
- You can easily clean this blanket since it is machine washable.
Pros: Affordable, Comfortable, Strong, Machine Washable, Multiple Colors, Reversible, Luxurious
Cons: One Size Only
Luxury Dog Blankets
If you don’t have any restrictions when it comes to budget and you want to make sure that you get the top-quality blanket for your pooch, luxurious dog blankets should be your choice.
|Carolina Multi-purpose Throw
|Comfortable, Made of Fleece, Provides Hair and Moisture Protection, Luxurious, Waterproof
|Price, Not Very Warm, One Size
|Bessie & Barnie Blanket
|Warm, Comfortable, Affordable, Reversible, Machine Washable
|One size only
1. Furhaven Faux Fur & Velvet Blanket
It doesn’t get more luxurious than this faux fur and velvet blanket from Furhaven! Honestly, I’m thinking of buying one for myself!
- This Luxurious Throw comes in 4 sizes, including an XL one that will fit across your entire sofa.
- Looks gorgeous with three neutral colors to match your decor
- Incredibly budget-friendly. The largest size is under $30!
Pros: Comfortable, Super soft, large enough for even big pups, super affordable
Cons: Not waterproof
2. Bessie & Barnie Luxury Ultra Plush Wild Kingdom Blanket for Dogs
Thank you mom for my gorgeous Bessie + Barnie blanket 😱😍🐶 . . Our blankets are available in sizes XS-XXL 😊 . . You can customize up to 3 fabrics on your blanket! One fabric on one side, a second fabric on the other side and a third on the ruffles! 🐶❤️ . . Be your pups own fashionista by styling their own blanket!!! or simply choose from our pre-assembled options available on our website! 😀😎🐩 . www.bessieandbarnie.com 🌐 . . . . . . . #blanket #blankets #comfortable #fashion #fashionista #style #fabrics #plush #luxury #luxurious #comfortable #warm #puppy #pup #dog #doggy #doggie #cute #pet #pets #care #happy #pictureoftheday
- Bessie & Barnie Luxury Blanket is made of special plush fabrics that are much like fleece but even softer and a bit thicker.
- This blanket is reversible, so you can use both sides and choose the fabric that fits better at a particular moment.
- Due to the high-quality fabric, the colors will not fade with time.
- This luxury blanket is a good choice for winter since it can keep your dog very warm and comfortable.
- It is also machine washable and has a waterproof pillow liner.
Pros: Multiple Sizes, Comfortable, Warm, Waterproof Liner, Machine Washable
Personalized Dog Blankets
If you want your pooch to feel special and have his own personalized blanket, there are a few great choices you can select from.
We have chosen two amazing personalized dog blankets for you.
|ModPaw Us Pet Photo Blanket
|Stylish, Totally personalized, Affordable
|Not waterproof, one size only
|ModernMommaHandmade Personalized Pet Blanket
|Personalized, Countless options, Add up to 3 names.
1. ModPawUS Custom Pet Blanket Using Your Dog’s Photo
This beautiful blanket from Etsy seller ModPawUS is perfect for both humans and dogs. Heck, you could even use it as a cat blanket if you wanted!
- 9 beautiful color options to choose from ranging from “matches everything” neutrals to beautiful pastels to bold jewel tones.
- This beautiful blanket from Etsy seller ModPawUS is perfect for both humans and dogs. Heck, you could even use it as a cat blanket if you wanted!
Pros: Beautiful, totally personalized with both picture and name, affordable, super soft
Cons: Only one size
2. ModernMommaHandmade Personalized Pet Blanket
This adorable personalized dog blanket, also on Etsy, comes in an insane amount of sizes and personalization options! I stopped counting at 20! They range from puppy-sized (perfect for using as scent blankets) to 50″ x 60″ throws that are large enough for a Mastiff.
- Made with super soft material in a smoke-free home.
- The top stitching not only looks great, it adds to the overall durability.
- Made in and shipped from the US (it costs $5 extra to ship, so make sure you factor that in).
Pros: Personalized, Countless options, add up to 3 names.
Cons: Only one color
Dog Fleece Blankets
Dog fleece blankets are very popular because they are extremely comfortable and durable.
That is why I will dedicate a section specifically to dog fleece blankets to help you make your decision if you are after fleece specifically.
|PAWS Road Dog Blanket
|Comfortable, Warm, Multiple Sizes and Colors, Extremely Affordable, Machine Washable
|Not Waterproof, A Bit Thin, Not Very Durable
|RZA Pet Blanket
|Comfortable, Warm, Non-Pilling, Non-Fading, Machine Washable, Waterproof, Very Affordable
|One Size Only, Not Very Durable, Not Very Stylish, A Bit Thin
1. PAWZ Road Dog Blanket
One of the most popular fleece dog blankets on the market, PAWZ Road Dog Blanket is a very affordable solution that fits everybody’s pocket. Even though it is not very stylish, it does have cute textured polka dots to make it a bit more attractive.
- This blanket is made of ultra-soft polyester fleece and comes in three different sizes and colors.
- You can use this blanket as a cover for furniture or car seat since it prevents dog’s hair from getting on your furniture and upholstery.
- It is machine washable and doesn’t pill easily.
Pros: Comfortable, Warm, Multiple Sizes and Colors, Extremely Affordable, Machine Washable
Cons: Not Waterproof, A Bit Thin, Not Very Durable
2. RZA Pet Blanket
- This is another extremely popular and very affordable option when it comes to fleece blankets.
- RZA Pet Blanket is made of high-quality materials (polyester) that are also very lightweight.
- This 60 x 40 inches blanket is one of the softest you can find since it has a fine texture resistant to fading and pilling.
- It is low-maintenance since it is machine washable and dries out very fast.
- The design of this blanket is rather simple, but you can also easily fit this blanket into any scenery.
- However, even though it is available in two colors (tan and gray), they are very much similar.
- Since this blanket is so lightweight, it is easy to carry and store and you can roll it up quickly.
- It is also waterproof since it has a great ability to absorb water.
Pros: Comfortable, Warm, Non-Pilling, Non-Fading, Machine Washable, Waterproof, Very Affordable
Cons: One Size Only, Not Very Durable, Not Very Stylish, A Bit Thin
Sherpa Dog Blankets
Another very popular material is Sherpa, which is basically a wool-like material that provides a lot of comfort for your dog.
|Harmony Cozy Sherpa
|Affordable, Comfortable, Warm
|Only One Small Size, One Color, Not Very Durable, A Bit Thin
|Comfortable, Warm, Easy to Carry, Machine Washable, Reversible, Affordable
|Only One Small Size
1. Harmony Cozy Sherpa Pet Throw
- The Harmony Cozy Sherpa Pet Throw is a very pretty and comfortable dog blanket.
- It is, however, available only in one size, measuring 24″ x 24″.
- This blanket is ideal for puppies and small breeds, but not really suitable for large or even medium dogs.
- It has an ultra-soft Sherpa lining on one side and a comfortable fleece on the other. That means that this dog throw is reversible and allows you to choose which side you want to use.
- This blanket can help you protect your furniture from shedding and dog hair.
- Even though it looks like a decorative blanket without much practical use, it is actually reinforced with hidden stitching in order to provide a more sturdy and durable effect.
- However, it is not the most durable product out there, as you can see from the price.
Pros: Affordable, Comfortable, Warm
Cons: Only One Small Size, One Color, Not Very Durable, A Bit Thin
2. PetAmi Premium Sherpa Dog Blanket
- This is a very comfortable dog blanket that measures 30 x 40 inches and that is the only available size, which means that it is not suitable for large dog breeds.
- However, due to the size, it is also a very lightweight product you can use both indoors and outdoors.
- PetAmi Premium Sherpa Dog Blanket is made of 100% microfiber polyester, which is why it is also durable in addition to being cozy and lightweight.
- It is a reversible dog blanket, with Sherpa lining on one side to keep your pet warm and microfiber fleece on the other.
- Although I don’t really care for the design that much, it is available in many colors so everybody can find the perfect style that suits their home décor.
- What is more important however, this blanket can protect your furniture from shedding and pet hair, as well as chewing and scratching.
- It is also machine washable and easy to maintain.
Pros: Comfortable, Warm, Easy to Carry, Machine Washable, Reversible, Affordable
Cons: Not Very Stylish, Only One Small Size
Waterproof Dog Blankets
Choosing a waterproof dog blanket just seems like a reasonable thing to do.
After all, dogs sometimes have accidents and having a blanket that is moisture resistant is very important in those situations.
|Mambe Waterproof Blanket
|Luxurious, Comfortable, Warm, Waterproof, Multiple Sizes, Stylish
|Comfortable, Stylish, Many Sizes and Colors, Waterproof, Machine Washable, Hypoallergenic
|Price, Weight, A Bit Noisy
1. Mambe 100% Waterproof Pet Blanket
- Extremely comfortable and warm, this dog blanket is a perfect choice for dogs who suffer from incontinence.
- If you are looking for a perfect, waterproof solution when it comes to dog blankets, Mambe Waterproof Dog Blanket should be your first choice.
- In addition to being very soft and thick, this blanket is also very stylish and classy. It can easily be a part of any décor.
- Also, due to its size you can use it for bed, couch or sofa. It actually comes in two sizes, medium and large and it is also machine washable.
- It is luxurious and silent and made in the USA. However, it also has a very steep price.
Pros: Luxurious, Comfortable, Warm, Waterproof, Multiple Sizes, Stylish
Cons: Price, Heavy
2. Teton Dog Waterproof Fleece Pet Throw
Another good waterproof blanket comes from Teton and it is also hypoallergenic in addition to being waterproof.
- This blanket is perfect for protecting your furniture or your car seats, as well as any other delicate surface.
- It is a reversible blanket made of fleece on one side and stain-resistant NanPore fabric on the other side.
- This blanket requires no additional care when cleaning.
- You can simply machine wash it and dry it easily. However, remember to do it in hot and not cold water.
- Teton Dog Waterproof Fleece Pet Throw comes in almost any color and style imaginable, including the classic paw print. This makes it perfect for any décor.
- It is also very comfortable and luxurious, in addition to the amazing protection it provides from moisture, dirt, hair and scratches.
- If you have a senior dog, this blanket should be on top of your list!
- Another amazing thing about this blanket is the fact that it is designed to “stay put”. That basically means that it doesn’t move or shift when your dog moves.
- This blanket is also made in the USA, so considering all the benefits it has the price is actually extremely reasonable. My top choice without a doubt.
Pros: Comfortable, Stylish, Many Sizes and Colors, Waterproof, Machine Washable, Hypoallergenic
Cons: Price, Weight, A Bit Noisy
Chew Proof Dog Blankets
All dog owners are probably aware of the destruction that dogs can inflict to furniture, upholstery, bedding and anything at all basically.
That is why chew proof dog blankets that are nearly indestructible are very popular and valued.
|Rivers West Tundra Blanket
|Waterproof, Windproof, Chew Proof, Machine Washable, Lightweight, Durable, Comfortable, Many Colors, Affordable
|Only Two Similar Sizes, Not Resistant to Dog Hair, Not Very Stylish
|Pawsse Waterproof Blanket
|Chew Proof, Waterproof, Multiple Colors, Affordable
|Only Two Sizes, Heavy, Not Very Stylish
1. Rivers West Tundra Waterproof Fleece Blanket
- Rivers West Waterproof Fleece Tundra Blanket is perfect for both dogs and humans.
- It is a very soft and warm blanket that is very rugged and durable, yet extremely lightweight as well.
- It is ideal for any outdoor activity and one of the best choices for a car seat cover.
- Due to its micro fleece construction this blanket is very warm.
- However, the most impressive thing about this blanket comes from the fact that it is waterproof, chew proof and windproof!
- It also comes with a durable carry strap that allows you to carry it easily.
- It is also machine washable and easy to maintain.
- This blanket is available in two sizes and you can choose your favorite color from an almost infinite color palette.
- As far as style goes, there are more attractive blankets out there.
- However, not many of them can offer this many benefits and provide endless options for where to use it.
Pros: Waterproof, Windproof, Chew Proof, Machine Washable, Lightweight, Durable, Comfortable, Many Colors, Affordable
Cons: Only Two Similar Sizes, Not Resistant to Dog Hair, Not Very Stylish
2. Pawsse Waterproof Dog Blanket
This dog blanket is one of the very few that are extremely durable, although the manufacturer doesn’t specifically claim that it is chew proof.
However, I tried it out with my dog. I can say that not many other blankets have shown such durability with my chewing machine.
- Pawsse Waterproof Dog Blanket is also waterproof, which of course includes urine, so you don’t have to worry about your dog getting wet or getting your bed or couch wet.
- This blanket comes in two very large sizes and four different colors.
- People often use it indoors and outdoors but due to its size it is not so easy to carry outside, so the best use is for beds and other furniture.
- This product is very soft and comfortable and one of the warmest choices on the market. It comes with Sherpa lining to ensure comfort and warmth.
- This blanket is also machine washable on gentle cycle, as well as reversible.
- One side is covered with plush micro fleece, the other with plush Sherpa. The side with Sherpa lining is not waterproof however.
Pros: Chew Proof, Waterproof, Multiple Colors, Affordable
Cons: Only Two Sizes, Heavy, Not Very Stylish
These were some of my favorite choices when it comes to dog blankets and I hope that you liked them and found what you were looking for.
Of course, you can find a lot of other, good blankets on the market, but your pooch will certainly be happy if you choose one of my suggestions for best dog blankets.
Do you have any other tips for finding the best dog blankets? Is your favorite on our list? Share your thoughts below!
Last update on 2024-02-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API