If you’re planning to take your dog on vacation with you, you’ll need to find a pet-friendly hotel (unless, of course, you’re camping with your dog or taking an RV).
More and more families take their pets on vacation with them.
Many hotel chains are starting to notice this trend and are responding accordingly.
Check out a few of our favorite pet-friendly hotel chains that will welcome your dog.
Related: 4 Awesome Dog-Friendly Vacation Destinations in the United States
Pet-Friendly Hotel Chains
This post contains affiliate links. We earn a commission if you make a purchase.
1. La Quinta Inns & Suites
La Quinta Inn & Suites features hotels throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico and Honduras.
- The hotel chain was established in 1968 and currently own over 800 hotels along with more than 290 franchise hotels.
- They allow both cats and dogs for no additional charge, but there are a couple of restrictions.
- Only 2 pets are allowed per room and they are not allowed in the pool area, breakfast area, laundry room or fitness center.
2. Motel 6
Motel 6 features motels throughout the United States and Canada.
- The pet-friendly hotel chain was established in 1962 and currently owns over 1,100 hotels.
- They accept pets, with no restrictions on pet breed.
- However, they only allow 2 pets per room.
- All pets are welcome as long as they pose no danger when it comes to health and safety.
3. Red Roof Inn
Red Roof Inn features motels throughout the United States.
- The chain was established in 1973 and currently owns 400 hotels.
- They accept pets at no additional charge.
- They do only allow one pet per room, though, and ask that you not leave your pet unaccompanied in the room.
4. Holiday Inn
Holiday Inn features hotels throughout North America, South America, Europe, The Middle East, Africa and Asia.
- The chain was founded in 1952 and currently owns over 3,400 hotels.
- While they do allow pets, you will need to pay an additional fee.
- There is a $25 deposit, per stay, for pets.
- In addition, there is a pet fee of $25 per night, per room.
5. Extended Stay America
This past weekend we took a mini vacation to celebrate our Grand humans 50Th Wedding Anniversary. 1st time for Elvis. We did pretty good and had 2 beds to jump to and from. Hey! Mom and Dad can we go again pretty please. Thanks to @extendedstayamerica for being pet friendly and making everything so easy for us and our humans. #apugandachug #puglife #chuglife #pug #chug #weekendgetaway #extendedstayamerica #Lakebuenavista
Extended Stay America features extended stay hotels throughout the United States and Canada.
- The hotel chain was founded in 1995 and currently owns 629 hotels.
- They accept cats and dogs, for an additional fee.
- There is a $25 pet fee per night, per pet and only two pets are allowed per room.
- The fee is a cleaning fee they have set in place and the amount will not exceed $150 per pet.
6. Ascend Hotel Collection
The Ascend Hotel Collection by Choice Hotels includes a number of upscale boutique hotels, many of which are pet-friendly.
- They have hotels in 38 US states as well as locations throughout Canada and around the rest of the world.
- Each hotel has a different policy, so it’s best to call ahead and find out which of their properties are pet-friendly.
- You can also find out by clicking on the information about the hotel you plan to stay at.
7. America’s Best Value Inn
More pillows please. 😊 Regram from 📷@ibabille • • • #redlionhotel #anaheim #disney #ibabille #dog_features #dogsofinstagram #cutepuppyclub #doodlelove #puphart5#doodlesofinstagram #dailybarker #doodlesrule #insta_animals #clubdoodle #lovedogsforever #doodlesofcalifornia #goldendoodlesofinstagram #muttsrule #livelifoffleesh #buzzfeedanimals #dogsofinsta #clawsandpaws #ThechoosyPooch #thedodo #woofwoof
With 600 pet-friendly hotels in nearly every state, America’s Best Value Inn has a location pretty much anywhere you plan to travel.
- Pet policies vary from property to property, so check individual hotels to find out the details.
- Some of the properties do charge pet fees, while others have weight limits.
8. Marriott Hotels
Aside from Marriott Hotels themselves, the Marriott company owns a number of other chains that you’ve probably heard of, including Fairfield, Residence Inn, Courtyard, and more.
- They have over 1800 pet-friendly hotels across their collection.
- It’s easy to find out which hotels allow dogs using their hotel search and filtering it to include only those results.
- As with all pet-friendly hotel chains, each location may have its own policies, so call ahead to ask about fees and what not.
9. MainStay Suites
MainStay Suites are more like studio apartments than hotels, making them perfect for longer vacations! Many of their properties are pet-friendly, too.
- You can bring up to two pets of any size, but you’ll need to pay an extra $25 per night.
- The good news? That extra fee maxes out at $100 per stay.
- Pet-friendly rooms are limited, so book as early as possible and make sure you specifically ask for one.
10. Doubletree by Hilton
The hotel that is most famous for its chocolate chip cookies also welcomes pets at many of their locations.
- Doubletree has over 500 hotels in 40 countries. About 120 of them are pet-friendly.
- They do charge a pet fee, which varies by hotel. They also charge a $75 (max) non-refundable cleaning fee.
- They also only allow small dogs.
If one of these pet-friendly hotel chains isn’t available at your destination (or if you just prefer something a little smaller), call around to the independent hotels in the area and ask about their pet policy. Just make sure you have a plan in place before you leave.
If you are driving, make sure you have a few ideas for hotels along the way. Even the best-laid road trip plans run into some kinks.
You don’t want to end up in a town after sitting in unexpected highway traffic all day, exhausted and unable to find a place to crash with your dog.