There is nothing more exciting than welcoming a new dog into your home, but before you bring a new furry friend into your home, you’ll need to stock up on some supplies! We’ve created this new dog owner checklist that will help you prepare! Taking the time to ensure that you and your home are prepared will make everyone a little less anxious about the big day! No matter if you are welcoming a new puppy or a senior dog, there are some things you will want to purchase ahead of time. Check out the 12 must-haves, then print out the checklist for when you’re ready to start shopping!
12 Must-Haves for Your New Dog Owner Checklist
Affiliate links included below. Thanks for your support!
1. ID Tags. ID tags are important in the event that your dog gets lost. Make sure the tags have your contact information on them. It’s up to you if you want to get super fancy or just go with a basic tag. You can usually have these made in little vending-like machines in pet stores.
Beautiful girls all ready for a trip to the seaside 🌞🌊🐾💕 #dobbythepomchi #shweenie #thesausagesisters #shweeniepupppy #shweeniesofinstagram #dachshund #shihtzu #dachshundsofinstagram #shitzuofinstagram #sausagedog #weinerdog #dogcrate #holidays #dog #dogsofinsta #dogsofinstgram #petsofinstagram #petscorner #cutepetclub #cuties #fluffypuppy #socute #lovedogs #instapet #instagood #instapuppy
4. Water and food dishes. You don’t want Fido eating off of your dishes! Purchase plastic or aluminum bowls for eating and drinking.
5. Quality dog food. Pick a dog food that suits your dogs age and activity level. Puppies should be fed puppy food and senior dogs should be given food meant for that age group.
Rozmarzone oczy, wpatrzone w worek BELCANDO ADULT ACTIVE. Wszystko zjedzone 😉 Mniam mniam 😁 🐶 #przezswiatzlabradorempl #marzenialabradora #food #labrador 🐕 #labradorretriever #dogfood #dogsofpoland #instalab #instadog #blog #dog #dogs #recenzja #testing #test #pysznechrupki #hungry #dajjesc #belcando #belcandoleonardo #kolacja #śniadanie #obiad 😉😁🤗🐕
6. Healthy treats. Find natural treats that you can reward your dog with. If you’re feeling up to it, make your own dog treats at home.
LOVE these dog treats 🐾 p.s they smell the absolute best @twobullylove #nutro #crunchytreats #mixedberry #smellgood #dogtreat #yummy #americanbulldogmix #bullmastiffmix #americanbulldog #oldeenglishbulldogge #bullmastiff #labrador #husky #bullybreeds #bulliesofinstagram #mutts #bigbreed #bigdogs #allnatural #tasty #gooddogs #drool
7. Baby gates. If you plan to keep your dog out of certain areas of your home, baby gates are the best thing to use.
8. Brush. All dogs should be brushed, even those that do not shed often. Brush your dog early to get him/her used to the process. Make sure you get a dog brush that is best for your dog’s type of fur.
Gotta stay groomed for all the ladies 😎💵 – ✳️ What I received from @andisgrooming: . 🔹 Pin Brush: removes tangles, dirt and loose hair. It stimulates the skin and hair follicles, while spreading natural oils through the coat to growth & healthy looking fur . 🔹 Soft-tooth Slicker Brush: reduces shedding up to 90% by removing undercoat and prevents matting . 🔹 Deshedding tool: special curved teeth avoid scratching skin it also maintains a damage-free top coat . ✳️ What I think: . 🔹This morning my hooman started the grooming routine with the pin brush. It felt like scratchies and I enjoyed every minute of it! 🔹 Next she used the slicker brush and she was surprised how much better it works than our old slicker brush! 🔹 Finally she started to shed me out with the deshedder brush and it safely and effectively brushed out my undercoat with ease! 🔹 My hooman and I highly reccomend @andisgrooming for all your grooming needs!
9. Safe toys. Purchase dog toys that are appropriate to your dog’s age. Ensure the toys are safe and not made in countries known to use harmful ingredients.
10. Dog bed. To ensure your pup is comfortable, be sure to purchase a dog bed. The bed can also be used to train the dog to stay in his/her own bed instead of sleeping in yours!
11. Poop bags. Not the most luxurious item but trust us, you’ll need them.
12. Patience! While you can’t exactly buy this, be prepared for a transition period with your new dog. It will take a few weeks for things to be normal.
- 1. ID Tags
- 2. Crate
- 3. Leash and collar
- 4. Water and food dishes
- 5. Quality dog food
- 6. Healthy treats.
- 7. Baby gates.
- 8. Brush.
- 9. Safe toys.
- 10. Dog bed.
- 11. Poop bags.
- 12. Patience!