Are you considering leather dog beds for your pooch, but not really sure if they’re a good fit?
Maybe you’ve already got your heart set on one but don’t know which to buy?
Either way, read on to find learn all about choosing the perfect leather bed for dogs!
Find out the pros and cons, then check out my top 5 picks!
Don’t forget to check our ➔➔ Complete Guide to Buying the Best Dog Beds! (With Reviews)
Leather Dog Beds: Are they Right for Your Dog?
Before we start looking at the top five leather dog beds, we have to decide if they’re even a good idea for our dogs!
Let’s check out the pros and cons of leather as they relate to your decision to buy a leather bed for your dog.
That means I’m not going to talk about the twenty million different types of leather, but rather how leather as a whole translates to good or bad dog bedding.
If you’re curious about the different types, this video does a good job of explaining it:
FYI, This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Pros of a Leather Dog Bed
Leather is typically more durable than something like cotton or other softer fabrics. If you think about what leather actually is, it makes sense.
It’s naturally a heartier material, since it’s original purpose was to, you know, keep all the insides where they belong (much like your own skin).
Plus, you can usually cover up any scratches or dings with some good leather polisher.
2. Easy to clean
Where some dog beds need to be machine-washed to really get out the gunk, with leather you can pretty much just wipe it down.
Again, if you think about what it was before, it makes sense. Cows got clean by standing in the rain, not going through a car wash!
3. Doesn’t absorb odors
Perhaps one of the biggest pros of a leather dog bed is the fact that it’s naturally odor-resistant. If you have a particularly stinky dog, that’s great news!
➔➔ Sign Up For Our Weekly Newsletter & Never miss a review or a product feature.
Leather Dog Bed Cons
There are drawbacks to a leather dog bed, too. These include:
Leather is a luxury fabric, and it’s not cheap by a long shot. I mean, just a no-name real leather dog collar can run you $30+, and that’s for a tiny strip of the fabric.
2. Ethical concerns
Leather comes with it’s fair share of ethical concerns, since it is the skin of an animal.
If you eat meat, then it’s not such a stretch to use leather, since it helps to make full use of the animal.
I personally do not eat cows (or any mammal, really) for my own ethical reasons, so leather is out for me.
3. Hard to find real leather dog beds
Perhaps the biggest con to buying leather dog beds is the fact that it’s practically impossible to actually buy leather dog beds!
I’ve searched high and low for real leather beds, and I’m coming up short. If you want real leather, you’ll have to turn to specialty stores for the most part.
I had a crazy hard time finding any on my usual favorite stores like Amazon or Chewy.
Given that last con, it was a challenge to come up with the top 5 leather dog beds. Read on to find out how I got around it to find you some great options.
Top 5 Leather Dog Beds
As I said, finding real leather dog beds is a major challenge, especially if you prefer to buy from sites that you know, like Amazon.
There are a few sites out there that specialize in leather furniture, but I don’t know them well enough to promote them. I’m leery of buying expensive items from sites that aren’t familiar to me.
So, how did I come up with the top five leather dog beds? By stepping outside the box a bit.
These options are made of faux leather with the same basic style and pros as real leather (but minus the cons).
1. Keet Fluffly Deluxe Pet Bed REVIEW
View this post on Instagram
Good bois deserve good beds.. BEST bois deserve their own couch 😎 thank you #keetflufflydeluxepetbed tango LOVES his and Indy's new couch! (Indy didn't want a picture) #dogsofinsatagram #dogs #dogstagram #barkbox #bullmastiff #boxer #bullmastiffboxer #bullmastiffboxermix #bullmastiffsofinstagram #chihuahua #chihuahuasofinstagram #ilove_chihuahua_ @weratedogs @dogsofinstagram
The Keet Fluffy Deluxe Pet Bed is made out of a Leatherette material, which is a fancy name for “fake leather.”
This type of material has almost all of the same pros and leather but it costs a lot less.
- Strong handmade wood frame
- Reclaimed shredded memory foam cushion covered with minky dots fabric
- Zippered cushion cover can be removed for washing.
- Leatherette on the sofa part just needs to be wiped down to clean.
If you want something that looks like a sofa, this is a good choice!
The downside? The largest size can only hold dogs up to 40lbs, even though it shows a Lab in the picture.
While the measurements are big enough for a larger breed, when it comes to a bed like this with a wooden frame, you really have to go by the weight limits.
- Hand made out of strong wood frame and upholstered with Leatherette fabric
- Includes a reclaimed shredded memory foam cushion, covered with soft minky dots fabric
- Zippered cushion cover is removable for washing and the Leatherette can be easily wiped down to help maintain the sofa bed appearance.
- For pets up to 40 lbs. Chair care is spot clean
- Cushion Care- Machine wash with warm water
2. Enchanted Home Brown Brisbane Tufted Pet Bed Review
Another great choice if you want to give your dog a bed that looks more like your own sofa, the Enchanted Home pet bed is also made of faux leather.
I really like the style of this one because it kind of has that “library furniture” appeal, if that makes sense. You know, the type of couch you’d find in an old library?
- 2” legs that lift the bed off the ground, giving it a more stylish look
- Storage pocket for your dog’s favorite toys and bones
- Easy to clean, just wipe it down
- Fits pets up to 30 lbs, the size is 33.5″ x 20.75″ x 12″
This one only comes in the one size, and once again it’s not designed for large breed dogs.
- 2” legs lift bed off floor, keeping your pet draft free
- Storage pocket for toys and bones
- Easy to wipe clean
- Fits pets up to 30 lbs
- Bed size is 33.5" x 20.75" x 12"
- Cushion is 21" x 15". The height from the floor to the top of the cushion is 9".
3. Villacera Chesterfield Pet Bed Review
It definitely has the Old World appeal!
It’s actually named after the Chesterfield Sofa commissioned by Philip Stanhope, the 4th Earl of Chesterfield in the early 1900’s
- Made of Faux Leather, Fabric, Fiber, Foam, Birch Wood, Compressed Wood
- Measures 33.5” W x 16″ H x 30.25” Deep
- Comes in three colors: dark brown, tan (seen above) and Gray.
- The reversible cushion buckles to the frame, keeping it from sliding around.
- 1-year limited warranty
- Easy to assemble, just screw on the legs and it’s ready!
Once again, the main drawback is the size. It’s definitely designed with smaller dogs in mind.
- Man's best friend deserves Nothing less than the best. The Villacera Chesterfield pet bed has classic old world style at a price you can afford
- Color/finish: available in rustic Brown, rich Tan or classic gray, with a Plush, Color matched reversible cushion that buckles to the hard wood frame
- Measurements: 33.5'' W x 16" H x 30.25'' Deep
- Material: Faux Leather, fabric, fiber, foam, birch wood, compressed wood
- Heirloom quality - If you want The Finest quality for your pet, the Chesterfield pet bed is what you are looking for
4. Furhaven Deluxe Chaise Faux Fur & Suede Dog Bed Review
- L-shaped dual-bolster design lets your dog sleep in their favorite position
- Luxuriously plush faux fur fabric on the sleeping surface, with matching suede bolsters.
- 4″ Memory foam cushion helps support your dog’s bones and joints
- Jumbo size is big enough for most large-breed dogs
- Machine-washable cover
Furhaven is one of my favorite budget-friendly beds, and you really can’t go wrong with this one if you love the look of suede.
- PERFECT FOR CUDDLING: The Furhaven L-Chaise Pet Dog Bed features a dual-bolster L-shaped design that allows your pup to sleep in a variety of positions, while providing plenty of cushioned headrest space and the perfect nook for burrowing into.
- SLEEP SURFACE: Plush faux fur tops the mattress cushion, accompanied by silken suede bolsters. Both materials are gentle on noses and paws, providing a mix of luxurious comfort and delightfully cozy snuggles.
- EASY ON JOINTS: Memory foam conforms to your pet's unique figure to provide relief for aching joints and muscles, while recycled fluffy railings offer orthopedic assistance for hips and back. The bed is also made accessible for elderly and disabled pets.
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Jumbo, 44" x 35" x 8" (4" Foam; Sleep Surface: Approx. 38" x 29"); Color: Dark Sage
- AVAILABLE VARIATIONS: The pet bed comes in different colors: Espresso, Dark Sage, and Stone Gray. It's also available in the following sizes: Small (20" x 15" x 5. 5"), Medium (30" x 20" x 6. 25"), Large (36" x 27" x 6. 5"), Jumbo (44" x 35" x 8"), and Jumbo Plus (53" x 42" x 9. 5").
- EASY TO CLEAN: We at Furhaven know that pets can present some unique cleaning challenges - that's why we made the dog bed cover completely machine washable!
- NOT SUITABLE for pets with excessive teething behavior!
- ASSURANCE: Comes with a 90-day limited coverage against material defects and may qualify for Furhaven's Worry-Free Program against other damage(s). Restrictions apply: purchases from unauthorized third-party resellers may not be covered by Furhaven.
5. Serta Ortho Cuddler Pet Bed Review
It may not be the most stylish bed on this list, but the Serta Ortho Cuddler is made by the same company that creates super comfy human beds, so that makes it a top 5 in my mind.
- Made with upholstery-grade fabrics
- Uses 100% CertiPur US foam
- Made in the USA
- Pressure relieving Orthopedic memory foam for superior comfort and support
- Machine washable removable cover wit non Skid bottom
The largest size is 34x24x10, so it wouldn’t work for very large or giant breed dogs. However, if you have a lab that loves to sleep curled up, it would definitely work!
- Pressure-relieving ortho foam provides superior comfort and support
- Perfect for pets who curl up while they sleep
- High quality pet bed made with upholstery grade fabrics
- Assembled in the US with 100% CertiPUR-US foam
- Machine washable cover features non-skid bottom
As I said, it’s almost impossible to find real leather dog beds. The closest thing is the Furhaven, with it’s suede material.
If you just want something that looks like real leather, though, these are great options!
Do you know of any other leather dog beds? Which is your favorite from this list? Share below!
Last update on 2020-04-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API