Looking for the best dog bed for hip dysplasia? It’s not as simple as just buying an orthopedic bed.
Learn how to choose and check out our top 5 picks.
If you think choosing the best dog bed for hip dysplasia is as simple as just buying a good orthopedic dog bed and calling it a day, think again.
Yes, an orthopedic bed is the best choice, but there’s more too it than that.
Hip problems don’t just affect the “bad” joints, they take a toll on your dog’s whole body.
We’re going to talk a bit about how hip dysplasia should impact your dog bed buying decision.
Then, I’ll tell you my top 5 picks for dogs of all sizes.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Dog Bed for Hip Dysplasia
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
I’m not going to get into a huge definition of hip dysplasia, as we’ve discussed that in the past.
If you’re looking for more information, I suggest checking out this article on the signs & symptoms
We’re going to be looking at how the symptoms that most affect your decision when buying the best dog bed for hip dysplasia.
1. Joint pain
Pain is the most obvious symptom that affects your decision, as you’ll want a bed that helps relieve pressure on your dog’s aching joints.
While I’ve seen pet people recommend egg crate style mattresses, I recommend memory foam hands down every time.
Simple: as a human with bad hips (and a bad back), I’ve slept on those egg crate mattress toppers, and I’ve slept on memory foam.
The egg crate style was nowhere near as comfortable as it claimed to be! Memory foam, on the other hand, became a regular staple in my bed.
While dogs have different physiology than humans, I don’t think I’ll ever be convinced that egg-crate foam is superior to memory foam.
2. Difficulty getting up and down & decreased range of motion
Hip dysplasia makes it challenging for your dog to rise from a sitting or laying position. I’ve seen this personally when I had senior dogs.
You’ll want to take that into consideration, as a very flat dog bed is really no better than having them lay on the floor.
A slightly elevated bed may be a good option because it allows them to put their front feet down first, then ease into a standing position.
However, you need to know your dog here. Some dogs also have a hard time getting up onto elevated surfaces.
My German Shepherd was fine with getting onto a higher dog bed (a couple inches off the ground), but my Lab/Collie wouldn’t sleep on anything that required extra work.
Of course, she was kind of a diva dog, so that may have had something to do with it!
3. Decreased activity
A drastic decrease in activity levels means your dog is going to be spending a lot more time sleeping in his bed, so quality matters here.
It’s worth it to spend a few extra bucks to get something that retains its shape and holds up to constant use.
Again, that’s why memory foam is such a good choice. Just make sure it’s good memory foam.
How can you tell?
I use the guarantee as a measuring stick.
If a bed has a 5- to 10-year guarantee (it’ll say something like “guaranteed to hold its shape”), then I feel pretty confident that the brand used premium memory foam.
If it doesn’t come with any sort of guarantee, or has something measly like a 90 Day Warranty, then I move on.
While it’s not a 100% accurate measure of a bed’s quality (I’ve seen good beds with cruddy warranties), I really feel like superior products are backed by superior warranties.
So, now that we have an idea of what to look for and factors to consider, let’s check out my top 5 picks.
Top 5 Best Dog Beds for Hip Dysplasia
If you want to just grab one of my top picks, check out the handy table. If you need a bit more about why I picked them, read on for fuller descriptions, pros, and cons.
There are a couple “new” dog beds on this list that I haven’t talked about in the past, as well as a few “oldies but goodies.” Let’s take a closer look at what makes them the best dog beds for hip dysplasia.
1. Best Bed for Large Breeds with Hip Dysplasia
The Big Barker Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed is my top choice for large breeds with hip dysplasia (and only large breeds).
Features & Pros
- Memory foam that is calibrated just for the big dogs.
- Truly large sizes (their large is bigger than the XL in most other brands!)
- 10-year warranty that promises the foam will retain 90% of its shape or you get your money back
- High-quality American made therapeutic foam
- Entire bed is Made in the USA
- It’s only good for large dogs. Since the foam is calibrated for them, it may actually be bad for your smaller dog’s hips
- It’s a bit pricey (although not completely unattainable)
- I don’t love the colors. That’s just me, though. You may like them.
Like I said, this is my top choice for large and giant dog breeds with hip dysplasia. It is not, however, a good choice for small to medium dogs.
- CALIBRATED FOR BIG DOGS: Available in Large, XL, Giant XXL dog bed sizes. Too powerful for small dogs.
- 10 YEAR WARRANTY: Foam will retain 90% of original shape & loft for 10 years or your money back.
- WON'T FLATTEN: American made therapeutic foam is the best quality you'll find in orthopedic dog beds. Won't flatten or pancake over time.
- MADE IN THE USA: Handmade by craftsmen and craftswomen in our small Pennsylvania workshop that's been making high end furniture & bedding for over 50 years.
- EASY TO CLEAN: machine washable. 100% Microfiber cover. Soft to the touch, looks great in your home.
2. Best Elevated Bed for Aching Joints
Another favorite of mine, the All-Aluminum Kuranda with Heavy-Duty Vinyl, especially if your dog is an aggressive chewer.
Sure, most senior dogs are past their “chew the house to shreds” phase, but puppies can have hip dysplasia, too.
Features & Pros
- Elevated design may make it easier for dogs to get up from a sitting position
- The design also helps to evenly distribute your dog’s weight, taking pressure off painful joints
- The aluminum frame and vinyl material is tough, so your dog won’t be likely to chew through it
- Easy to clean (just hose it off)
- Made in the USA
- Some dogs with hip dysplasia may have a hard time getting up onto it.
- Only comes with a 1-year warranty.
- The vinyl may not be the most comfortable fabric for dogs with aging skin.
Even though the 1-year warranty is a bit short, Kuranda has a good reputation overall and I’ve heard from many dog parents that the beds really do last a long time.
Just make sure your dog is okay with an elevated bed, as some dogs just plain don’t like it.
- Patented, CHEWPROOF HIGH STRENGTH, lightweight aircraft grade aluminum frame supports up to 250lbs.
- Elevated/Raised orthopedic design to keep your dog dry, cool, and comfortable indoors and outdoors.
- Easy to Clean, guaranteed to stand up to repeated cleaning.
- Heavy Duty 40oz solid vinyl is our most durable fabric. Its ideal for determined diggers and larger,heavier dogs. Its smooth surface is easy to clean. And great for outdoor use.
- 1 YEAR WARRANTY / Outside Dimensions: 44x27x9 / Fabric Area: 40x24 / Does Not Come Assembled
3. Best Budget-Friendly Option
The Furrybaby Premium Dog Bed is new to me, but it comes highly recommended. It’s a great budget-friendly option for those who just can’t afford other beds on this list.
Features & Pros
- Five sizes designed to fit most dogs (and a really handy graphic showing the sizes, scroll down on the Amazon listing to see it)
- Premium hypoallergenic high-density memory foam base
- A removable waterproof and machine washable inner liner
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Not made in the USA
- Only comes in one color (the other options on this listing are for a blanket)
- Guarantee is a little vague (while the promise a new bed if you are not satisfied, they don’t say how long they’ll offer that guarantee)
As I said, this is a good option for a tight budget, as most sizes are under $100 (albeit by just a few cents in the case of the large bed).
- 【FIVE SIZE AVAILABLE】: X-Large - 48*30inch, Alaska, Collie, Alaskan Malamute, Mastiff，German Shepherd, Great Pyrenees, Great Dane, Rottweiler, etc.
- 【PROFESSIONSL HEALTH CARE】: 100% premium high density hypoallergenic memory foam base for superior overall comfort, provides optimal bone structure support. It will evenly disperse your pet's weight and relieve pressure points, which ease joint pain, hip dysplasia, and muscle stiffness.
- 【EASY TO CLEAN】: A removable waterproof and machine washable inter liner can greatly protects our Dog Bed from accidents and incontinent issues.
- 【HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL】: 100% Microfiber outer cover is fur resistant and super soft, can improve your pets' sleep quality a lot. And its bottom is made of NON-SKID oxford material , and it's machine washable.
- 【SAFRTY GUARANTEE】: Memory foam and bed cover are certified to stringent European safety standards, with no harm to your pet. 100% satisfied service guarantee from FURRYBABY. FREE NEW DOG BED replacement promised when you meet any quality problem.
4. Best Buddyrest Dog Bed for Hip Dysplasia
Features & Pros
- Made with premium genuine viscoelastic memory foam
- LiftTex technology helps your dog get on and off it easier
- Crytpon suede fabric is both dirt and water-resistant
- Comes with a 10-year warranty, Made in the USA
- It’s pricey! Quite possibly the priciest of the BuddyRest beds, and definitely the most expensive on this list.
- Not the prettiest dog bed (again, personal preference).
View this post on Instagram
National Napping Day .. I”m a PRO at this!🤣 Need a new dog bed? 100 DAY RISK FREE GUARANTEE . Want to see if your dog or dogs will like their new bed without the risks? . You may return for a full refund within 100 days. Bed must be in like new condition with no stains or damage. . Please read the Warranty section prior to purchasing. . We do ask you try the bed for at least 10 days to give your dog the time to get used to it. . #dogbed • • • • • #mastiff #mastiffsofinstagram #canecorso #mastiffgram #italianmastiff #canecorsoitaliano #doguedebordeaux #englishmastiff #mastiffsworldwide #frenchmastiff #canecorsolovers #ddb #canecorsopuppy #canecorsolove #mastifflove #presacanario #bigdog #bullmastiff #dogue #ddbgram #flapsofdestiny #dogoargentino #gentlegiant #wrinkles #petzzrule #dogsofinstagram
If you have the budget for it, you really can’t go wrong with the Juliet. Sure, there are more stylish Buddyrest beds, but this one has all the features that are beneficial to a dog with hip dysplasia.
- Relieves arthritic pain and helps dogs with mobility issues
- Does not get hot like other memory foam dog beds
- Utilizing high tech Crypton performance fabrics, it's waterproof, stays clean, doesn't smell and rarely needs washed. No longer will you have to constantly wash smelly dog beds covers
5. Brentwood Home Deluxe Gel Memory Foam Orthopedic Pet Bed
While the Brentwood Home Deluxe Gel Memory Foam Orthopedic Pet Bed is new to me, the brand itself isn’t.
I have one of their meditation pillows, and it’s held up to two years of heavy use, so I trust the brand.
Features & Pros
- 2-inch gel memory foam layer to keep your dog cool
- 2-inch therapeutic base foam layer won’t flatten
- Waterproof liner protects the foam layers
- Durable upholstery-grade cover is thick and resists wear and tear.
- 3-year warranty & Made in USA
- No size large enough for giant breeds. It maxes out at 120 lbs.
- The sides are just stuffed with plain old stuffing (not a major issue, but be aware)
View this post on Instagram
These two have been lapping it up in the life of luxury – lounging, napping, and snoring (lots and lots of 😴) in their @brentwoodhome beds. I'm soooo excited to share this company with you guys!!! Nate and I searched forever to find the perfect beds. We believe everyone in our home deserves a comfortable, quality, toxin free bed. @brentwoodhome even delivered on the style. In our experience, this is not an easy find. Check them out – your fur babies will pay you back in wags and snores. Also, they are offering 15% off any pet bed with discount code JBIRD15 (one purchase per code). Expires 12/31/17 11:59pm PST. #WHPpetproject
Like I said, I have a Brentwood Home pillow and it’s been through the wringer, yet it’s still standing (or sitting, so to speak).
It’s also the most stylish bed on this list, so if you want something that goes with your decor better, this is a great choice.
- 2-inch gel memory foam layer stays cool while relieving body aches, joint pain, hip dysplasia and arthritis
- 2-inch therapeutic base foam provides orthopedic support
- 100-Percent Waterproof liner protects against accidents, dirt and liquids
- Soft microfiber cover is removable and machine washable
- Resistant to mold, bacteria and dust mites. 3 Year Warranty
Obviously, I think all of these are great options, since they’re on the list. However, if you have the budget for it, I’d go with the BuddyRest Juliet (for all sizes) or the Big Barker for large dogs.
These are just my top picks for the best dog beds for hip dysplasia. If you don’t find one you love, just follow my guide for choosing another.
Tell me your thoughts! Which of these would you pick as the best dog bed for hip dysplasia? Share below!
Last update on 2019-10-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API