Finding extra large dog beds for mastiffs can be a real challenge, but I’ve got you covered!
Today, we’ll talk about the top five best ginormous beds for your ginormous canine pal!
We’ll also go over a few things to look for in the best big beds.
We have a lot of ground to cover, so let’s dive right in, shall we?
►►►You may also like: Where To Shop For Best Deals On XL Dog Beds◄◄◄
What to Look for in Best Extra Large Dog Beds for Mastiffs
It would be so easy to just point you in the direction of our top XL beds for Great Danes and call it a day, but honestly, mastiffs have some different needs than Danes.
Not many, mind you. For the most part, giant dog beds work for just about all giant dog breeds. That said, there are some things you should look for specifically for your Mastiff.
1. Size definitely matters a lot!
This is one time where size matters a whole lot. After all, your mastiff isn’t going to be comfortable sleeping on a bed designed for a lab!
In this case, bigger is always better. While a giant bed would be ridiculous for a chihuahua, with mastiffs there really isn’t “too big” when it comes to beds.
The largest size is almost always the best. The only exception, really, is if you have a mastiff on the smaller side.
2. Support matters just as much
Mastiff breeds as a whole are prone to both hip and elbow dysplasia, so a supportive bed that cushions their joints is a must.
While I prefer high-quality memory foam (and most of the beds below will reflect that), I’ll give you a few other options as well.
The main thing to look for is something that has a little give but also retains its relatively firm shape.
3. Price versus quality
Fair warning: you’re not going to get off cheap when you’re buying a great bed for a mastiff.
Good dog beds as a whole are fairly pricey. Once you start moving into the XL and XXL sizes, the dollars really start adding up.
So, while I can’t really recommend any cheap XL dog beds for mastiffs, I can tell you that before adding a bed to my list, I looked very closely at how much value you get for those $$$.
It also goes without saying that you want a bed made with non-toxic, pet-friendly materials. I mean, it’s a dog bed, it should be safe for your dog!
Now that you know what to look for, let’s check out my top 5 picks! FYI, while this post is dedicated to our mastiff pals, these beds will also work for other giant breeds!
Related: best dog bed for cane Corso
Top 5 Extra Large Dog Beds for Mastiffs
The top five extra large dog beds for mastiffs all meet my requirements for an XL bed in general. They’re supportive, made of quality materials, and a great value for the money.
Take a peek at the table below, then read on for complete reviews.
Specifically made for large & giant breeds
Chew-proof and waterproof
Waterproof cover and liner
Durable Ripstop cover
Unique design with foam base and pillowtop
1. Big Barker Giant Orthopedic Dog Bed Review
Big Barker will always be #1 on my lists for the best XXL dog beds, mostly because their entire company is dedicated to making beds for large dogs!
Let’s check out the pros and cons of their largest size bed.
Pros and Features
- The giant size bed measures 60 X 48 X 7, so it’s definitely large enough for even the biggest mastiff!
- Made with 7″ of American Made therapeutic foam (the same stuff you find in human furniture)
- 10-year-warranty that guarantees against pancake syndrome (basically, it won’t go flat)
- 100% microfiber cover makes it great even for dogs with skin issues
- That same cover is super easy to wipe clean, or just chuck it in the washing machine for a more thorough cleaning.
- It’s handmade in the USA
- Bonus points: it comes in 4 relatively attractive colors (I don’t love the brown, but the burgundy is super nice!).
- It’s a bit expensive
- Not dig or chew-proof!
The only real con here is the price! The giant size will cost you a very pretty penny (and a few ugly pennies as well!).
If you can get away with going down a size to the XL, you’ll save about $150.
The other issue is, of course, the fact that a dog who likes to chew beds will be able to tear through this one without much effort.
Digger dogs are also going to ruin it pretty fast. So basically, if your dog does either of those things, move on to the next bed on this list.
The Big Barker exceeds my support requirements, thanks to the high-quality memory foam.
Its design actually helps alleviate pressure on your mastiff’s joints, which prevents fluid buildup around the elbows.
That said, this is probably the only bed that you can get away with going down a size. The XL is made for breeds like Rotties and Mastiffs.
Still, if you have a ginormous pooch, go with the Giant bed.
As long as you don’t have a digger or chewer (and as long as your budget is fairly large), this is THE bed to buy.
It has a solid reputation among customers, with very few 1 or 2 star reviews overall.
In fact, over 90% of customers give it 5 stars, and you know how hard that is to achieve in a world where we love to complain about things! 😀
2. Kuranda All Aluminum XXL Dog Bed Review
Got a mastiff who loves to chew new beds? This is the one you need! Let’s take a look at why I love it.
Pros and Features
First, let me be clear, we’re going to talk about the all-aluminum heavy duty vinyl bed here. Kuranda makes a bunch of different models, but this is the only truly chew-proof one.
- The XXL size measures 50×36. Not as large as the Big Barker, but still a good size for a mastiff. It holds up to 250 lbs.
- Super sturdy frame and heavy-duty fabric makes it virtually chew-proof.
- The nylon and aluminum combo makes cleaning it a cinch. Just hose it off!
- Kuranda offers inexpensive replacement parts for every single piece of the bed, so you don’t have to worry about buying a whole new one if one piece breaks.
- The stretched fabric design helps evenly distribute your dog’s weight across the bed.
- No fluff to unstuff!
- Only one model is chew-proof, yet they put that keyword into every model title
- Can be a challenge to assemble
My main complaint about the Kuranda in general is that only one model is truly chew-proof (or as close to it as you can get, anyway), yet all their titles have the keyword in them.
I think this has the potential to confuse a lot of people and lead to disappointment when other models inevitably get destroyed within a week.
In fact, most of the other models aren’t even covered by the Kuranda warranty!
Assembly issues are the only other complaints that I see pop up frequently, as some customers have a hard time putting this bed together.
Even with the cons (one of which is purely about semantics), the Kuranda is high on my wish list right now for my own dog, so you can bet I’d recommend it!
I love it because there’s no stuffing, so my “constantly set to destroy mode” dog has nothing to defluff. That means she’s more likely to just leave it alone.
Just make sure your dog doesn’t “outweigh” it! While a 250lb weight limit should be fine for most mastiffs, the record-breaking mastiff, Zorba, weighed over 300lbs, so there’s that.
If you’re worried that this won’t be supportive since there’s no foam, let me put your mind at ease.
It’s actually a totally orthopedic bed thanks to the way the stretched material helps distribute your dog’s weight across it.
Made with premium and durable "ripstop" fabric, the Kuranda All-Aluminum Heavy Duty bed is one of the most chew-resistant dog beds on the market! The model pictured here is 50x36." However, the Kuranda comes in 6 sizes ranging from itty bitty “mini” for toy breeds to XXL for giant breeds.
3. The Dog’s Bed XXL Memory Foam Dog Bed Review
The Dog’s Bed is a great option if you want something simple and elegant yet still super comfy for your Mastiff.
Pros and Features
- The XXL measures 54” x 36” x 6”
- Made with a 4″ high stability premium foam base and 2″ high-density premium foam topper
- A waterproof removable cover and washable inner liner keeps the bed safe from spills and accidents.
- Medical-grade orthopedic support for senior dogs and those prone to hip issues, like the Mastiff.
- Comes in 8 different colors
- Only 5″ of memory foam overall, compared to Big Barker’s 7
- Cover is not the most durable and replacement covers are expensive
The main issue here is the memory foam, which comes in at 5″ compared to Big Barker’s 7″ foam bed.
While a 2-inch difference doesn’t sound like much, I’ve noted several customers complaining the the bed compresses when their dog lays on it.
The other issue is the cover. I’ve seen many complaints that it just isn’t made to last. That wouldn’t be a huge issue if replacements were inexpensive, but they’re not.
In fact, the XXL cover will run you just a smidge under $50! That’s like 30% of the original price (give or take, my math stinks).
If you have an older mastiff who doesn’t chew or dig and you’re looking for a simple bed that won’t totally break your budget, this is a good option.
I don’t recommend it for teething puppies or dogs who like to dig.
4. K9 Ballistics Tough Rectangle XXL Orthopedic Dog Bed Review
Did you know that the same brand that makes the chewproof Cujo Cot also makes a memory foam bed? True story! Let’s check it out.
Pros and Features
- XXL measures 40″x68″x5″
- Made in the USA with shredded CertiPUR-US foam
- Chew and dig resistant (not proof, but still super durable)
- The durable RIPSTOP Ballistic cover is removable and machine washable.
- 120-DAY CHEW PROOF WARRANTY: If your dog damages the bed cover within the first 120 days, they’ll replace the cover once free of charge.
- Comes in a whopping 15 different colors and styles!
- Not the thickest memory foam bed on this list by a long shot.
- The warranty only covers the cover.
- Pricey compared to other beds with more features
My biggest issue here is that the price is a bit high for a bed that only comes with about 4″ of foam, especially when you realize that the warranty only covers the cover!
So, basically, if your dog chews through the cover, you get a new one. If they chew all the way through and destroy the foam, you’re out of luck.
My other concern: the price is a bit steep when you compare its features against those of other beds with similar features.
While it’s not in my top 3, it’s still a solid choice for those who need something that’s on the chew-resistant side.
I like it as a crate bed, or as something that you can bring with you if you travel a lot. I can see someone using this in an RV!
Even with the lack of extra padding (compared to other beds on this list), the bed gets a lot of compliments in regard to comfort.
I’ve also heard nothing but good things about K9 Ballistics’ customer service, and that’s a major pro in my book.
I wouldn’t get it for a major chewer or for a senior mastiff who needs a lot more padding, but it’s a great option for a young adult dog who is past the chewing phase!
5. PLS Pet Paradise Giant Orthopedic Pet Bed Review
If you’re looking for a bed that combines the support of memory foam dog bed but the comfort of a pillow-like bed, the PLS Pet Paradise Giant Ortho bed is a great choice.
View this post on Instagram
My new favorite place. PLS Birdsong Orthopedic dog bed. Credit: @brimthemastiff . . . . . #englishmastiff #neopolitanmastiff #mastiffs #mastiffgram #mastiffofig #bigdogs #largedogs #largedogbreed #dogbed #dogcare #plsbirdsong #plspet cozydogs #comfydogs #instadog #dogbedswithstyle #uniquedogbeds #luxurydogs #luxurydogbed #dogbedsofinstagram #ilovemydogs #ilovedogs #happydogs #dogsarebetterthanpeople #lovemydogs #dogslifestyle #dogsareawesome
Pros and Features
- The giant size measures 39Wx54L.
- Features a unique design with foam base and plush pillow top, kind of like my own bed!
- Medical grade foam helps support joints while the pillow top soothes pressure points.
- Easy-clean: All removable and washable covers and waterproof liner to protect foam base.
- 2-in-1 bed, you can remove the pillow top and just use the foam base, or vice-versa.
- They don’t sell replacement covers
- The pillow top filling seems inconsistent across beds
The main issue here is the pillow top itself, which seems to be inconsistently filled across beds.
While many users are pleased with the amount of filling, I noticed quite a few complaints saying that there was either too much (which made zipping it up a challenge), or not enough (leaving a lot of empty fabric).
The other issue: you can’t buy replacement covers. Instead, you’ll have to contact the company through Amazon to ask for one (and it’s unclear how much it costs).
Like I said, if you want something more supportive than a pillow bed but have a dog that actually prefers the pillow style, this is a good pick.
I like that you can use each part separately. If you’re traveling and need a crate bed, you can just take the pillow top.
Again, it’s not ideal for diggers and chewers, but if you have a relatively mellow mastiff, I’d recommend it.
Out of all these “best extra large dog beds for Mastiffs” I would have to choose either the Big Barker or the Kuranda as my top choices.
The Big Barker is definitely the best all-around giant dog bed, especially since it’s made specifically for large breeds!
However, if you’re not a fan of memory foam or want something more chew-proof, the Kuranda is the way to go.
Do you have any other picks for the best extra large dog beds for Mastiffs? Share below!
Last update on 2024-02-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API