Alright, dog lovers, it’s time to settle the dogs vs. cats debate once and for all! As both a dog and a cat owner, I can never answer the question “are you a dog person or a cat person” without breaking out in hives and ultimately screaming “I love them both equally!” It’s kind of like someone asking you to decide which of your kids you like best! At least with that Sophie’s Choice question, I can easily say “my son,” because, well, he’s my ONLY child! Since the internet loves a good debate, I thought it was time to take it to the masses and ask YOU to decide!
Here, I’ll be sharing 7 reasons why I feel like dogs are the best. Then I’ll let out my cat-loving alter ego over on CatVills and share why cats rule! By the end of the day, I’ll feel like I have split personalities and you’ll have TWO posts to help you decide once and for all: are dogs man’s best friend or do cats rule and dogs drool? Let the fun begin!
Dogs Vs. Cats: 7 Reasons Why Dogs Really Are Man’s Best Friend
1. They’re always up for meeting new people! If you’re shy like me, your dog can be a great icebreaker to help you meet new people!
2. They always know when you need a hug. Dogs always seem to know when you’re feeling down and make sure you feel loved just when you need it most!
3. They are the ultimate minimalists. Dogs teach us that we don’t need much to be happy! My dog is just as happy with a stick from the backyard as she is with the $100 worth of “indestructible” puppy toys I bought her!
4. They look dapper in costumes! Dogs are way more patient when it comes to our bizarre desire to dress up our pets. Have you ever tried to put an outfit on a cat? I have, and I still have the scars to prove it!
5. They keep us active! Unlike cats, dogs actually NEED to go for walks, which means we need to get up and get out of the house more often. No wonder dogs are so good for our health!
6. Their smiles light up the whole room! If anyone says dogs don’t smile, they’ve clearly never seen these cuties! Seriously, is there anything better to brighten up your day than seeing your pooch open wide and give you a bright, shining doggy grin?
7. Every single dog is “the best dog.” Seriously. From your childhood companion to the dog you grow old with, they’re all incredible in their own way.
Dogs really are our best friends. I can’t imagine my life without them. I lost all three of my older dogs over the last year to age and I miss them every moment. We brought Freya, a Pharaoh Hound, into our lives back in November. While she is definitely a bigger challenge to train than my other dogs were, I wouldn’t trade her for all the cats in the world. Of course, I wouldn’t trade my cats for all the dogs in the world, either. See where my conundrum lies?