If you’re planning on hitting the road with Fido, you definitely want to check out the best dog beds for cars!
Not only will they make riding in a crate more comfortable, they’re also perfect for overnight stays in hotels along the way.
First, let’s learn a bit about the safest dog car travel solutions, since they play a role in choosing the best bed.
Then we’ll check out my top ten recommendations on both Amazon and Chewy!
Safest dog car travel solutions
The number one safest place for your dog in a car is in a sturdy, secured crate. Period.
However, for those of us with larger dogs and smaller cars, a crate isn’t always feasible.
In that case, for smaller dogs, your best bet is a car seat. Yep, a car seat!
We’ll check out my top pick below (even though it’s not technically a bed, it’s still a comfy place for your dog to nap in the car).
What if you have a big dog that won’t even fit in a car seat, though? In that case, the safest places in the car for dogs in order are:
- In the back seat with a dog car harness
- In a plush carrier in the back seat with a harness
- Secured in the back of your SUV with a dog guard
- In the back seat in a hammock (some of the beds below will fit into that just fine)
- In the back seat with a barrier installed between you and your dog.
I have seen a lot of people asking about a dog bed for car front seat. I won’t even go there, as it’s the most dangerous place to put your dog.
If you really must put your dog up front, at least use a console dog car seat. I share my top pick for one below.
Now that we know more about the safest travel solutions for dogs in cars, let’s get into bed specifics.
Choosing the best dog bed for cars
When you’re looking for the best dog beds for cars, safety always has to come first.
You don’t want anything that can hurt your dog in the event of a crash! That includes dangling strings or straps as well as hard edges.
In other words, even though there are elevated beds that fit into crates, they’re not ideal for road trips.
Of course, the overall best dog bed really depends on where your dog rides, so we’re going to look at a good variety of options below.
We’ll check out fantastic crate beds, my favorite dog bed for back of SUV, the best car seat and more.
Let’s get started, shall we! We have a lot to talk about!
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Best Dog Beds for Cars on Amazon
1. Big Barker Backseat Barker: SUV Edition Review
My #1 pick for the best dog bed for back of SUV is made by one of my top 5 favorite overall dog bed brands, Big Barker.
The brand specializes in beds for large-breeds, although I had no idea until recently that they made dog car travel solutions!
Features & Pros
- Three different sizes designed to fit pretty much all SUVs (and all dogs!).
- Fantastic shock-absorbing features, including two layers of foam.
- The top layer of foam is designed for orthopedic comfort (or as orthopedic as you can get in a dog bed for your car)
- Adaptable wings adjust to the width of your SUV.
- Machine-washable and easy to clean
- Easy to put and take out of your SUV, making it a perfect travel bed for the hotel room, too.
- Made in the USA
- It’s pricey
- Measurements are a bit tricky, as they’re for the entire bed (including wings) and not the flat “usable” area
High price aside, you really can never go wrong with Big Barker. I love that this bed easily goes from your SUV to your hotel room and back.
It’s thicker than a lot of the other SUV dog beds that I looked at, so it’s going to give your dog a much smoother ride.
- SUPERIOR “SHOCK-ABSORBING” SUPPORT. Engineered with 2-Stage American Made foam construction. Top layer of therapeutic comfort foam. Bottom shock-absorbing layer for protection
- FLEXIBLE SIZING. Unique “pillow wings” adapt to the width of your SUV. Dimensions listed are for total width of the bed, including pillow wings. Bed should be wider than SUV so pillows lean against side walls
- EASY TO CLEAN. Machine washable. Hidden zippers extend a full 70% around the foam for lightning fast cover removal
- NO INSTALLATION NEEDED. Easy to take out and put back in. Use as a travel bed or an extra bed at home
- MADE IN USA! Includes bonus "extra-grip" non-slip insert!
2. Snoozer Luxury High Back Console Pet Car Seat Review
If you’re looking for the safest dog car seat for your console, the Snoozer gets high marks.
While it’s a bit pricier than other models, I love it because it’s cozy enough to double as a travel bed.
Features & Pros
- Luxurious removable microsuede cover is super gentle on your dog’s skin.
- Includes a leash harness inside that attaches to your dog’s harness
- Non-skid bottom keeps it from slipping.
- High back provides extra support and helps keep your dog from jumping out.
- Comes in several cute styles and colors
- The console really isn’t the safest place for your dog in your car
- Runs small (dimensions are for the whole thing, not just the area your dog uses).
- Difficult to attach
I’m going to be honest, I really don’t like the idea of a console dog seat at all. I feel like there are so many other safer ways to travel with your dog.
That said, if you insist on a console seat, this is a great choice. Just make sure you follow the directions carefully to install it properly.
- Luxury removable microsuede cover with accent cording
- Non-skid bottom and high back for extra support and protection
- PLEASE measure your dog and your vehicle and reference the provided dimensions to determine if this product is appropriate for your dog and your vehicle and Security strap included
- Exterior Dimensions: 18″L X 16″W X 7″ H FRONT/12″H BACK
- Interior Dimensions: 15”L x 12”W x 5”H FRONT
3. Sit. Stay. Forever. Dog Bed for Cars Review
If you’re looking at this super simple mat-style travel dog bed and thinking, “what on earth could possible justify a $100+ price tag?” you’re not alone.
I almost didn’t give it a second glance because of that. However, the words “hypoallergenic” and “organic” drew me in for a closer look.
So, let’s see what makes it one of the best dog beds for cars, shall we?
Features & Pros
- Made from certified organic eco-friendly hypoallergenic cotton duck fabric (think canvas-like material).
- Pre-washes and pre-shrunk, so you don’t have to worry about it getting ruined the first time you wash it.
- The batting is quilted to keep it from shifting around when you wash it.
- Strong poly-thread holds the whole thing together.
- Handmade in the USA
- Comes with a 100% money-back satisfaction guarantee.
- Only comes in one bright green color (as far as I could tell)
- Definitely not chew-resistant, so not good for puppies
If you need a hypoallergenic dog bed for your car and you don’t mind paying a bit extra to support a small company, it’s a great solution.
I will say this, though, if it was made by a larger pet product company and priced that high, I wouldn’t have included it on this list.
In other words, no, I don’t think the bed itself justifies the price tag. However, when my budget allows, I am open to paying a bit more to support a smaller company.
- SAFETY FIRST Hefty and Luxurious 10oz cotton duck is CERTIFIED ORGANIC, ECO FRIENDLY, CHEM SAFE and dyed using low impact dyeing, which helps conserve our planet's resources.
- Hand constructed in our shop in New York's Hudson Valley. Batting is quilted before assembly to keep from shifting during washing. Poly thread used for strength.
- EZ CARE! All beds are constructed from fabric that has been pre washed and shrunk. Please be aware that this process leaves the natural cotton fibers looking a bit crinkled. These wrinkles will somewhat smooth out with use. MACHINE WASH -- COOL. MACHINE DRY .. LOW
- 100% GUARANTEED. If your experience with your bed or shopping experience is anything but complete SATISFACTION, send the bed back for a full refund of your purchase price.
- PROVIDE YOUR PET THEIR PERSONAL SPACE. Much like the rest of your family, your dog needs a space where they feel safe, protected, and relaxed. By providing your pet with their own bed, you can help your dog feel as though they have a valued place in your household. EZ TRAVEL - light enough to roll up and stick in a bag. Be a welcomed guest...always travel with your pet's own bed.
4. PetSafe Solvit Dog Car Seat Cover
If you’re looking for dog car seat covers that double as beds, try the PetSafe Solvit Car Cuddler.
It’s a budget-friendly solution for both small and large breeds, depending on which style you get. Let’s check it out.
Features & Pros
- Comes in two styles: one for just a single bucket seat and one for the whole backseat bench.
- Made from luxurious micro suede & other soft yet durable materials to keep Fido comfy.
- Durable fabric helps keep your car clean and clear of pet hair, dirt and more.
- Faux sheep skin fabric zips off for easy cleaning.
- Fits over the headrest and uses a Sta-Put tube device to keep it in place.
- While the bench version is great for all dog sizes, the bucket seat style is only good for dogs up to 30lbs.
- Not the most secure option
- Tends to slide around (especially the bench version)
If you’re just looking for a car seat cover and don’t need a ton of other features, this is a good pick despite the cons.
While I think the bucket version (which is pictured here) is a bit cozier than the bench version, the bench style is really the only one that works for large dogs.
- PET BED AND SEAT COVER: The perfect combination for road trips with your pup; measures 40 in L x 23 in W x 5 in H; dog bed portion is 19 in deep; suitable for dogs up to 30 pounds
- PROTECTS YOUR SEATS: Durable materials keep hair and pet messes off your seats; works with all vehicle seat types, even leather seats
- COZY COMFORT: Soft, microsuede liner covers the over-stuffed bolster cushion and pillow; this comfy cuddler is perfect for pups who like to snooze on long car rides
- SAFE TRAVEL: Easily access your car's seat belt and use with the PetSafe Happy Ride Seat Belt tether (sold separately) to keep restless pups out of your lap while you're driving
- QUICK SETUP: Use the adjustable headrest strap to install on any front seat or back seat with headrests; the seat anchor and lower strap help the dog bed stay in place
- EASY CLEANING: Machine washable; the bolster cushion and seat pillow are easy to remove from zippered compartments
- QUALITY GUARANTEED: PetSafe brand has been a trusted global leader in pet behavior, containment and lifestyle innovations for nearly 30 years; we help pets and their people live happily together
- U.S.-BASED CUSTOMER CARE: Let our pet product experts help; we’re available Monday through Saturday to answer your questions at 1-800-845-3274
5. iBuddy Dog Bed for Car Back Seat
The iBuddy is a great back-seat solution for larger breeds that can’t ride in a crate or car seat.
I spent a crazy amount of time looking for the best dog bed for car back seat, and this is by far my favorite.
Features & Pros
- Works well for most cars from small sedans to ginormous SUVs
- Durable zippered side flaps and hammock keep your dog safer when you have to break quickly
- Protects your entire back seat from hair and dirt.
- Includes a free nylon dog seat belt.
- The barrier between you and your dog helps prevent him from trying to hop on up front with you.
- Nonslip, durable and comfortable. Designed for heavy duty use with oxford fabric.
- Extra padding for comfort.
- Super reasonably priced
- Short return window (only 30 days for a full refund)
- NOT ideal for white leather seats, as it can leave stains
- Not great for diggers or chewers
Like I said, I spent a lot of time looking at back seat solutions. I love that this one is a barrier and seat cover in one.
The fact that it’s super duper affordable is a HUGE draw for me, too!
- 【Compatibility with Different Vehicles】No more worries about hair, scratches, liquid and dirt on back seat while you travel with our excellent size of 54"W x 58" L (Truck option for this style) dog car seat covers and your dog. Available for most cars, SUVs, such as Honda CRV, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Sedan ect. Giving a dual nylon dog seat belt(B0791DLBGD) worthy $9.99 in order to ensure your maximum security. With delicate package, it is suitable for a gift.
- 【Thicken Mesh Window】iBuddy dog seat cover with breathable mesh window is great for the air to flow into the back to keep your lovely pup cool in Summer. With the mesh window, you can check the pet's behavior and its mood at any time, helps to reduce pup’s anxiety when they see you through it. Compare other dog back seat cover, we used thicken mesh, not easy to tear. Order this dog seat cover, no worry about your pets, feel at ease when you are driving.
- 【Full protection for doors and back seat】With durable zippered side flaps, the dog car hammock protect your entire car and dog from injury when emergency brake and turn. The side flaps protect the doors and also make dog impossible to reach the floor of the car. All the hair and dirt will remain on the surface of the car seat covers for dogs, and meanwhile prevent from scratching leather bench when dog jump in.
- 【Nonslip & Durable & Comfortable】The pet car seat cover is designed with the rubberized anti slide bottom and seat anchors will ensure the cover not move around. Designed as high quality heavy-duty waterproof non slip oxford fabric and extra padded for comfort, with 4 layers double stitching. Ensures the best protection and long lasting use.
- 【Easy to install and Machine washable】Just need 1 minutes easy to install with quick release clips, Attached seat anchors and velcro openings, extras are offered for maximum comfort and safety for your dog. Enjoy your road trip adventure like never before! Wash it anytime in your washing machine, without any hassle! To ensure your satisfaction, We provided this pet seat cover with 30 days free replacement or refund, 1 year warranty and whole life customer service from the date of purchasing.
Ready to head on over to Chewy and see their best dog beds for cars? Let’s go!
Best Travel Dog Beds on Chewy
When it comes to larger purchases like dog beds for cars (or dog beds in general, really), I tend to shop Chewy first, Amazon second.
While I’ve had never had an issue with Amazon customer service, I’ve had beyond stellar experiences with Chewy, which makes me feel more comfortable when making a larger purchase.
Below are some fantastic dog travel solutions for your car! Remember, you get fast & free shipping on orders $49+.
1. K&H Pet Products Bucket Booster Pet Seat Review
Since the safest dog car seat is one that fits in the back of your car, the K&H earns high marks with me!
The brand is pretty well-known for making great budget-friendly dog beds, so I’m confident that their Bucket Booster is no exception.
Features & Pros
- You can use it either as a dog bed for car front seat or back seat (please, though, try to stick with back seat)
- Elevated bottom makes it easy for your dog to look out the window.
- The contoured back of the seat fits inside your vehicle better
- Adjustable security tether to keep your dog safer
- Zippered cover comes off and can be machine-washed
- Two leashes make it possible to use the seat for two small dogs
- Only two sizes- large and small
- The large isn’t really all that big (it’s not a good seat for medium to large breeds)
- A bit pricey
K&H is probably one of my top 10 favorite dog brands, if not one of the top 5 (it fluctuates, as I’m always finding new brands that I love).
So I’m confident in recommending this one, but only for small dogs. Honestly, though, you’re not going to find many car seats for large breeds.
2. MidWest Quiet Time Crate Bed for Cars Review
While the MidWest Quiet Time Crate Bed isn’t designed specifically for cars, it’s a good buy if you’re keeping Fido in a crate during your journey.
Depending on which size you buy, it’s a fairly inexpensive option (the largest size is still just under $50).
Features & Pros
- Made with Ultra-Soft Synthetic Fur on one side andan Ultra-Plush Synthetic Sheep Skin on the other.
- Uses the best quality materials so it’s built to last.
- Extra stuffed polyfiber bed will keep your dog comfy on your trip.
- Keeps dogs warm in when it’s cold in the car, or flip it over to keep them cool when it’s hot.
- Completely machine washable.
- Not even remotely chew-resistant
- No removable cover
- Sizing is a bit off according to some customers, so triple-check before buying
If you just need a very simple crate bed that’s super cozy, this is a fantastic pick.
Just keep in mind that it’s not ideal for chewers. The last thing you want is to hear your dog chomping away on his bed while you’re going 75 on the highway!
3. Arf Pets Self Cooling Solid Gel Crate Mat
Another good dog travel solution for crates, I recommend this one if you’ll be traveling during the summer.
It’s not much to look at, but don’t that fool you. It’s actually a highly rated crate mat with some neat features. Let’s take a look.
Features & Pros
- “Self-charging” cooling mat helps keep pets cool for up to three hours.
- Recharges after just about 15-20 minutes of non-use.
- Perfect for traveling in the summer as well as for dogs with achy joints (the cool is very soothing).
- Works for both indoor and outdoor use, so you can use it at a picnic along the way!
- Solid gel interior with puncture-resistant exterior.
- Non-toxic, of course.
- Folds up when not in use.
- Easily wipes clean with soap and water.
- It’s thin, so it’s not really a great everyday bed
- A smidge on the pricey side (although I think the features warrant the price)
- Puncture-resistant doesn’t mean puncture-proof, so not good for chewers or diggers
Like I said, if you’re traveling during the summer, you definitely want to consider picking up the Arf Pets Cooling mat.
I personally would get it in addition to another dog travel solution, like the crate bed or maybe the iBuddy.
To be honest, I kind of want to buy it for myself since I always seem to be hot these days (thanks a lot, hormones)!
4. K&H Pet Products Travel & SUV Pet Bed
We once again turn to K&H to find another fantastic dog bed for the back of your SUV.
This one is a bit different from the Big Barker mentioned above at Amazon, as it doesn’t have the side “wings.” It does have cozy bolsters, though.
Features & Pros
- The outside bolster is made from strong 600 denier nylon to make it more durable.
- Water-resistant backing
- Microfleece removable cushion is soft and cozy for your dog
- Cushion has tufting to keep the polyfill in place
- A”stay put” non-slip fabric on the bottom to keep it from sliding.
- Machine washable
- No “wings” to protect the sides of your car.
- Not chew-resistant
- Doesn’t fold for easy storage
If the Big Barker is out of your price range but you still want something really comfy for the back of your SUV, go with this one.
5. Solvit Premium Bench Car Seat Cover
Our final pick for the best dog beds for cars is a simple bench car seat cover that lets you use your comfy back seat as the bed while keeping it safe from hair and dirt.
Features & Pros
- Made from heavy-duty 100% cotton twill with genuine leather trim for added durability.
- Elasticized panels on sides and front make it easier to fit into your car just right.
- Seat anchors and a non-slip back helps keep it in place.
- Multiple attachment points are made at high-stress areas of the cover.
- Waterproof membrane helps keeps your seat clear of water, mud and spills.
- Machine washable
- Comes in standard and extra wide to fit most cars
- Padding isn’t very thick (about half an inch, so still better than some other similar covers)
- Not entirely waterproof (note the word “helps” in the pros, it won’t completely prevent accidents from leaking through).
- May shrink in the wash (so try washing it, then letting it air dry maybe)
While I kind of like the iBuddy a little better just because it also helps keep your dog in the back seat, I do really like this one, too.
It’s simple yet gets the job done, providing that “job” isn’t keeping your seat totally free of spills.
It’s hard to make a final recommendation for the best dog beds for cars because we covered so many different types.
Just remember what I said about the safest places in your car for your dog. If you can, go with a crate and one of the crate beds (I love the Arf).
If not, all of the other solutions will work just as well, depending on your dog and your car.
Your turn! Tell me your top picks for the best dog beds for cars. How about your other favorite dog car travel solutions? Use the comments below!
Last update on 2020-01-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API