If you want to encourage your dog to drink more, consider grabbing one of these best water fountains for dogs.
As you know, water is vital to all living things, including our canine companions.
It not only hydrates our pets, but it also moves essential nutrients in and out of the cells of the body.
It also aids the digestion of food and cushions the joints making movement more “fluid.”
Having an adequate supply of water in the body also moves waste through the intestines and helps regulate our pet’s body temperature.
Getting your dog to drink enough is easier when you always have clean, fresh, cool water available at all times.
Check out these best water fountains for dogs – you’ll wonder why you didn’t get one sooner.
Have a cat? Discover The Best Cat Water Fountains
Content & Quick Navigation
The Benefits of a Water Fountain for a Dog?
Animals seem to be drawn to running water. Instinctively, they know that moving water is likely to be cleaner than a standing, stagnant pool or puddle.
Water fountains provide that continuous circulation.
Most dog water fountains also use charcoal and sponge inserts that continually purifies the water and takes out any floating debris. This keeps the water cleaner, improving its taste.
Some dogs may be drawn to a water fountain, just because it’s more like a toy.
Now that we know the benefits of having a water fountain let’s review the best water fountains for dogs in their category.
The Best Water Fountains for Dogs
You may be surprised to learn that there are many different styles of water fountains for dogs. Read on to find the best in each of these categories, including:
- Indoor dog water fountain
- outdoor dog water fountain
- step-on dog water fountain
- large capacity dog water fountain
- small dog water fountain
The Best Indoor Dog Water Fountain by Flightbird – Radar Sensing
There’s no need to turn this unit on or off, or frequently replenish the water as the Flightbird Water Fountain dispenses water automatically when your pet is detected within five feet of the fountain. Plus, the stored water can be used for a week!
This fountain also includes three modes;
- Radar – this mode works for 90 seconds when it detects your dog within five feet of the unit.
- Smart – works for 2 minutes and rests for 3 minutes.
- Normal – works continuously for 24 hours.
What’s more is the Flightbird Water Fountain will alert you to refill water when the blue light of Smart mode blinks. The water pump will then automatically stop to help protect the pump. It also provides LED nightlight functions.
- Three-mode ability
- Automatic shut-off when water is low
- Water dispenser is BPA-free, non-toxic and odorless
- Very quiet
- Uses 50% more carbon for added filtration
- Reasonably priced
- Must keep the fountain away from electronic equipment such as WiFi router, moving objects such as air fan and place it from the wall for 20-30 cm to avoid signal interference and rebound.
- May not be suitable for large dogs.
What We Like – the Flightbird dog fountain with its three-modes and extra carbon filtration make for a convenient and practical dog water fountain.
The Best Outdoor Dog Water Fountain by K&H Products – Thermal Dog Bowl
Do you want your dog to have access to fresh water while even outdoors? Then the K&H Thermal Dog Bowl may be what you’ve been searching for. The thermostatically controlled heated pet bowl turns on and off as necessary to keep water from freezing, even at -20°F. The bowl itself is BPA-free and perfect for outdoor use.
- 5.5′ steel wrapped abrasion resistant cord and electronics are safely sealed inside the bowl.
- Comes with a 1-year limited warranty
- Available in six sizes
- Energy efficient – uses only 25 watts of electricity
- Thermostatically controlled for perfect water
- Needs an electricity source
What We Like – Keeps water liquid in freezing temps so dogs can enjoy fresh water even in the winter months.
The Best Step-on Dog Water Fountain by TrioGato – Outdoor Dog Sprinkler
If your dog loves to play in the sprinkler or with the hose, why not get him his own “on-demand” outdoor dog sprinkler system? With a simple “step” of a paw, your pet can give himself a drink from the fountain-style water fountain – no more wasting water with a continuously running hose.
Plus, the heavy gauge steel of the Trio Gato Pet Fountain is guaranteed to last and the leak-proof copper valve and rubber friction pads help minimize movement when in use!
- Dogs can get their own drink
- No messy dishes to clean or replace
- No specialized skill is required to install
- Step-on pedal gives your pet quick access to fresh drinking water
- Adjustable water pressure
- Some dogs may need to be trained to operate this sprinkler system.
What We Like – The convenience of this system makes it appealing, as well as the fact that the water is not continuously running as with traditional sprinkler systems.
The Best Large Dog Water Fountain by PetSafe – Drinkwell 2 Gallon Water Fountain
Encourage your canine to drink with the free-falling water from the PetSafe Drinkwell Water Fountain . The easy-to-clean system filters every drop of water by running it through both a carbon and foam filter, catching hair and dirt before they reach the pump. The constant water circulation in the bowl helps prevent bacteria growth, keeping your pet’s water fresh, clean and tasting fine.
- Customize the water flow
- Available in two large sizes
- Cleans and purifies the water
- Pump needs to be cleaned weekly
- Carbon and foam filters need to be replaced.
What We Like – Taking out the debris and harmful chemicals found in tap water will ensure our pets are getting a healthy drink each day.
The Best Small Dog Water Fountain by Petacc
There’s no need to continuously replenish the water in this fountain by the Petacc company – it’s large storage capacity takes care of that issue. It’s made of finely polished, antibacterial PP resin material, with a BPA-free water bowl which is also non-toxic, odorless, and has obtained food-grade certification.
The simple quick-release structure is designed for easy removal and cleaning, so you won’t spend a lot of time maintaining the unit.
- Filters the water with carbon insert
- Large capacity
- Moving water is less likely to grow bacteria
- Provides several streams of water
- Super quiet
- 3 water flow settings
- Filter must be replaced.
What We Like – The three water flow settings is perfect for all types of pets, and the large storage reservoir makes it very convenient to run.
A dog water fountain is an excellent alternative to ordinary pet bowls. Pet fountains not only encourage more hydration but most filter the water, giving your dog a better drink every time.