If you’re looking for the best warm dog beds for winter, I’ve got you covered like a Sherpa comforter (get it?)!
Just because our canine companions are covered in fur doesn’t mean that can’t catch a chill in a drafty house!
While just about all dogs can benefit from a little extra warmth in the coldest months, those of us with short-haired pups know the right bed makes all the difference.
Let’s talk tips on how to keep your dog warm in the winter.
Then, read on for my top ten picks for the best warm dog beds to keep your pooch toasty all winter long.
How do you keep dogs warm in the winter?
It’s easy to make the mistake of thinking that since they come with their own fur coat, dogs don’t really need much to stay warm in the winter.
If you’re the proud owner of, say, a Husky, then sure, they’re probably good to go wearing just what nature gave them.
In fact, they may get too hot when you turn your thermostat sky high and seek refuge out in the snow for a bit.
For pretty much every other breed, though, their coat really isn’t enough to keep them warm when temperatures drop.
In fact, my Pharaoh Hound’s coat isn’t really enough to keep her warm even when the temps aren’t below freezing. If I’m cold, chances are she’s cold.
So, how do you keep your dog warm in the winter, especially if you like to keep your house semi-chilly to save on your electric bill?
Let’s take a look at a few of the most popular methods.
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Do dogs need blankets in the winter? Well, need is such a loaded word.
While your dog will survive just fine without one, it is a nice touch and goes a long way towards helping keep her toasty.
Then again, if you were to ask Freya, she’d say that she absolutely needs one, as she won’t go to sleep unless she’s covered.
I’m a big fan of the PetAmi Dog Blanket because it’s reversible and comes in so many great colors.
- LARGE DOG BLANKET - Best for large/extra large dogs. Provides warmth, comfort, and protection for your pet to lounge and nap all year round.
- PREMIUM MICROFIBER SHERPA FLEECE - Thick and durable pet blanket made of layered reversible warm sherpa and silky soft fleece with 460 GSM microfiber polyester.
- MACHINE WASHABLE - Easy to clean. Machine wash cold and tumble dry low.
- PROTECTS FURNITURE AND BED - Stops pet hair, scratching, and dirt. Great dog blanket for bed, sofa, couch, crate, kennel, car seat, floor, or sleeping mat.
- AVAILABLE IN MULTIPLE COLORS. Also makes an ideal gift for dogs and pet owners.
Dog bed warmers
Don’t confuse this one with the next one! If you’re wondering, how do I keep my dog’s bed warm, this is the answer.
Dog bed warmers are either electric or microwavable heating pads that you can place beneath the bed or between the covers to help take the chill out.
Personally, I prefer the ones that you pop in the microwave. Less risk of shock, especially for chewers. The SnuggleSafe is a good example.
- Safe and soothing warmth
- Non-electrical; simply heat up in your microwave
- Plate-size pad easily fits under your pet's bed
- Provides up to 10 hours of safe and soothing warmth
- Non-toxic thermapol compound
Sweaters, Coats & Jammies
While Freya freaks out when we try to put clothes on her, if your dog can tolerate it, a sweater is a great way to keep her toasty in the winter.
With blankets, beds and bed warmers, your dog has to be relatively stationary to reap the benefits.
Basically, your dog goes on (or under) them. Sweaters, coats and such go on your dog, so they go where Fido goes.
Well, at least until she rips them off, which is what happens when I try to dress Freya.
I see a lot of sighthound parents sharing pics of their dogs in adorable fleece jammies and always wish Freya would wear them.
If your dog doesn’t mind getting all dressed up, check out these adorable cozy PJs:
- UNLIKE OTHER BRANDS Tooth & Honey designs original clothing specifically for REAL pit bull type dogs. Our fit is custom to our brand and our size chart/ styles were designed after fitting hundreds of pit bull type dogs including our own! Don't be fooled by the intimaters!
- AMAZING FIT, soft, thoughtfully designed & high quality fabrics make our clothing so cozy. Great for surgery recovery, keeping warm, looking adorable, shedding, and can help with anxiety.
- WE GIVE BACK to animal rescues and shelters. Every purchase helps dogs in need. We donate boxes of clothing and accessories monthly to various non-profits. We have helped over 100 dogs GET ADOPTED as well!
- WE BELIEVE dogs are family and they are deserving of love, warmth, comfort and being spoiled. WE ONLY design products we use ourselves.
- OUR MISSION is to break down negative stereotypes surrounding pit bull type dogs, promote responsible dog ownership and create high quality, functional clothing that will bringing light into peoples lives. WE ARE BETTER TOGETHER!
Warm dog beds
Obviously, we’re going to cover this one is a whole lot more detail below, since the title is “the best warm dog beds for winter.” 😀
Beds alone aren’t really enough to keep your dog warm, of course, but they’re definitely toastier than sleeping on a cold, hard floor.
The beds that we’ll look at are either made of of materials that make them naturally warm or include a heating element for extra toastiness.
Ready to check them out? We’ll head over to Amazon first, then we’ll take a look at what Chewy has to offer.
Best Warm Dog Beds for Winter on Amazon
1. Snoozer Orthopedic Premium Micro Suede Cozy Cave Pet Bed
The Snoozer is always a popular choice for those looking for the best warm dog beds.
It’s super affordable and oh-so -versatile, especially since it comes in a zillion color options!
Okay, so more like 33, but that’s close to a zillion, right?
Features & Pros
- Sherpa interior keeps your pup toasty warm
- 3″ orthopedic foam core for added comfort
- 2 layers of batting make it extra soft
- Cover and liner are both machine-washable
- Made with a brass rust-proof zipper
- Comes in pretty much every color plus a few fun print designs.
- No options for giant breeds
- They run small, so even the XL is really best only for the smaller end of the large breed spectrum
- Cover isn’t really all that durable
- Not even remotely chew-resistant
- Takes some getting used to for your dog, not really ideal for non-burrowers.
If your dog is a burrower (mine is!) and isn’t really a large breed, this is always a well-rated option among pet owners.
I really love all of the color choices. While style is never my deciding factor when buying a bed, it’s nice to have options.
- Premium Micro Suede Fabrics - Sherpa Interior
- 3" Orthopedic Foam core and 2 layers of additional batting
- Rust Proof Brass Zipper
- Poly fill for added comfort
- Machine Washable cover and liner
2. KONA CAVE Luxury Snuggle Cave Dog Bed
KONA CAVE is new to Amazon, so don’t let their lack of reviews scare you away. This stylish brand has great reviews on their website.
All of their products are ethically handmade in Europe, so while the price tags are on the high side, so it the quality.
Features & Pros
- The KONA CAVE may look like some of the other cave-style beds, but it’s actually a patented design.
- It stays open in the front and lays down in the back, so it’s snuggly like a blanket and warm like a cave.
- The individual bolsters give added comfort and support,
- Cover is removable, making it a cozy bolster bed that you can use all year round.
- Made with vegan leather trim and matching carrying handles.
- Mattress has supportive center with Sherpa fur on one side.
- Eco-friendly and ethically made
- It is a wee bit pricey, even if it is worth it.
- Only goes up to large, which maxes out at about 88lbs, so nothing for XL dogs
- Not made in the US (which I know bothers some people, but Germany has super high standards, so it’s not a huge deal)
I’m always apprehensive about recommending 3rd party sellers with so few reviews, but KONA CAVE is definitely worth taking a chance on.
While they’re new to Amazon, they’re not new to the dog product world.
I love that they’ve created a beautiful eco-friendly option, even if the price definitely reflects the unique handmade nature of the bed.
If it’s in your budget and you want something upscale, KONA CAVE is a great way to go.
- ✔ The patent protected KONA CAVE Snuggle Cave Dog and Cat Bed is designed to SOOTHE and COMFORT your pet by fulfilling their natural sleeping instincts: SECURITY – cozy cave cover provides privacy and protection, SUPPORT– individual bolsters give comfort and stability and won’t let the bed roll over, SHAPE – separate mattress for personalized pillow fluffing, and SAFETY- the innovative back air opening regulates temperature and ensures fresh air for your pet at all times.
- ✔ The KONA CAVE Snuggle Cave Bed cave top stays open in the front for easy entry and lies down in the back to snuggle your pet like a blanket. Ideal for cats and dogs that like to sleep under blankets and furniture. Our patented design is proven to be effective as a calming and anti-anxiety bed for nervous dogs. Have questions regarding sizing? Please see size chart for dog breeds or email us with questions. We’re here to help!
- ✔ SUPERIOR to other cave beds, the patented KONA CAVE Snuggle Cave Bed design, supportive bolster bed combined with a round cave cover, will not roll or flip over when your pet leans on the inside, keeping your pet safe. Additionally, the cave cover zips-off giving you and your pet a beautifully finished bolster bed with vegan-leather piping on all four corners. You get 2-beds-in-1. Perfect for all seasons: warm in the winter, cool in the summer.
- ✔ Our quality is in the details. Designed in Germany with OEKO-TEX certified fabrics (this means that, at every point in production, these fabrics are safe for the environment, your pet and your home), hypoallergenic (dust and allergen resistant) pillow fills, and vegan-leather trim and handles which are all machine washable. Seams are covered for quality and durability and zippers are placed on the inside of the bed cover to protect floors from scratches. Ethically made in Europe with love.
- ✔ Complementary AIR Shipping from Germany to the USA-Limited Time Only. Now more than ever, pets need the soothing and calming comfort and security of a KONA CAVE. Therefore, we are offering AIR Shipping for no extra cost. Premium Shipping estimated time is 2-4 weeks. *Due to the extenuating pandemic circumstances, we cannot guarantee delivery times nor can we offer compensation or returns for delays in deliveries. We recommend ordering by Nov. 23 to receive your KONA CAVE in time for Christmas.
3. Best Friends by Sheri Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut
I saved my favorite for third! Okay, so that doesn’t make sense, but honestly, I am pretty random when I choose the order of the beds.
I like to keep you on your toes. Don’t want you to just pick the first one without reading the rest! 😀
Seriously, though, I really do love pretty much everything about the Best Friends by Sheri Vegan Donut bed.
Features & Pros
- Obviously made with all vegan materials, as the name implies.
- Perfect for dogs who love to sleep all curled up.
- Raised rim not only gives dog an added sense of security, but also keeps them enveloped in warmth.
- Super soft filling is oh-so cozy.
- Comes in multiple sizes, including with or without the zipper.
- Made with durable nylon and pet-safe faux fur.
- The shell is machine-washable and dryer-safe.
- Sizes large enough even for giant pups.
- To avoid matting, you have to put it right into the dryer after washing it.
- No filling in the middle. While they’re pretty clear about this (it’s called a donut bed for a reason), people still complain about it.
- Not good for dogs who chew, especially since it kind of resembles a giant plush toy!
As long as you understand upfront that this bed has no real bottom to speak of AND that it’s not made for dogs who chew, you’ll love it.
Seriously, it has an insane number of glowing reviews!
It’s the kind of bed that makes you wish they made grownup human sizes!
- SUPPORTS BETTER SLEEP: Thanks to its round shape, our high-quality zippered Donut Cuddler cat and dog bed is ideal for pets who love to curl up; The raised rim creates a sense of security and provides head and neck support, while the super soft filling offers joint and muscle pain relief
- SUPERIOR COMFORT: Cozy, flexible, and finished with vegan faux shag fur, our warming luxury zippered dog bed is reminiscent of a mother’s fur coat; Paired with deep crevices that allow your pet to burrow, animals will have full, restful sleep for improved behavior and better health
- VERSATILE DESIGN and MAINTENANCE: Available in beautifully natural colors, our cat and dog donut cuddler beds are a seamless addition to any room’s décor; Finished with water and dirt-resistant bottoms, accidental messes will be prevented from reaching your floors; The removable shell is also safe to machine wash and dry (do not leave bed to air dry, as this will lead to tangling and matting of the fur)
- PET-SAFE MATERIALS: Our pet beds are responsibly sourced, made with durable luxurious nylon faux fur and non-toxic premium filling to ensure safety and comfort for you and your pets
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Designed and shipped from Los Angeles, CA, our local customer service is only a phone call or email away to address any concerns and questions to ensure you and your pets are happy with your purchase
4. K9 Ballistics Round Dog Bed Deep Den
If you love the idea of a donut snuggler but want something a little more chew-resistant, grab a K9 Ballistics Round Dog Den.
Yep, the same brand that makes the chew-proof Cujo Cot also makes one of the best warm dog beds for winter.
Features & Pros
- Has a chew Proof Rating of 3 out of 5, so while it’s not their toughest bed, it’s definitely more chew-resistant than others on this list.
- High bolster walls keep dogs warm and give them an added sense of security.
- Made with Ripstop ballistic nylon to resist chewing.
- Totally sewn shut with no Velcro or zippers.
- Bottom pad is removable.
- The whole bed is machine-washable.
- Sizes range all the way up to XL for Great Danes.
- The nylon material isn’t as plush and luxurious as the Sheri bed.
- Although it is more chew-resistant than most, it’s still not chew-proof.
- While they’ll replace the bed if your dog kills it within the first 90 days, they will only give you a 50% refund if you decide you want your money back instead.
- Not clear on what it’s filled with. Memory foam? Polyfill?
I wish they would more clearly state what this bed is filled with, as that would help me make a better recommendation.
However, I can say that if your dog is a light chewer, this is probably going to be your only solid option on this list.
I do like that they have options for pretty much every dog size!
- CHEW PROOF RATING: 3/5; the number of raised edges and corners on this bagel shaped dog bed gives chewing dogs too many places to latch onto and do damage. This round dog bed is ideal for LIGHT chewers and diggers only. For a heavy chewer or very destructive dog, please consider our Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed.
- Bagel and donut shaped dog beds offer a sense of security and comfort for dogs who love to cuddle. Often called deep dish dog beds, our design with this Deep Den Dog Bed allows your dog to snuggle into 360 degree bolstered comfort.
- We removed all zippers and Velcro to make this a very durable dog bed. The proprietary RipStop Ballistic Material resists destructive behaviors such as chewing, scratching, digging, and general roughhousing. This is a truly durable round dog bed!
- This bagel dog bed is machine washable. The inner round dog mat is easily removed and spot cleaned or tossed into the washing machine. The high bolster walls of this dog bed can be machine washed in larger washing machines, or wiped clean with ease.
- This bagel dog bed features RipStop Material on the outside; Velvet may be present on interior depending on color selected.
5. K&H Pet Products Lectro-Soft Outdoor Heated Bed
It may not be much to look at, but if you need an electric heated dog bed that you can use outside, this K&H bed is your best option.
Features & Pros
- Made with soft orthopedic foam and comes with free fleece cover.
- Thermostatically controlled so that it automatically responds to your dog’s body temperature changes.
- Great for dog houses and other sheltered outdoor areas.
- Steel-wrapped cord to resist chewing and the elements.
- Only uses 60 watts so it won’t kill your electric bill.
- Meets and exceeds USA safety standards.
- Not very thick, so I wouldn’t use it for senior pets who need more support.
- There’s always a risk when you use an electric dog bed.
- Doesn’t get as warm as you may like (so you can’t use it on its own outdoors to keep dogs warm).
- The albeit free fleece cover is kind of cheap and not very durable.
While I’m including electric heated dog beds for those who want one, I’m apprehensive about recommending them because I worry my dog would chew the cord and get electrocuted.
Maybe I’m just over-cautious, especially since K&H does make sure their products are super safe, but when you have a cord, you have a risk.
That said, if you’re comfortable with that risk, this is definitely the best option.
- Outdoor heated dog bed with soft orthopedic foam. Includes free fleece cover
- Thermostatically controlled to automatically respond to temperature changes to warm to your pet's normal body temperature
- Ideal for sheds, garages, barns, or any sheltered area your outdoor pets hang out
- 5-1/2 feet steel wrapped cord and only 60 watts
- This heated dog pad has been tested & certified by MET Labs to exceed USA/CA electrical safety standards
- One-year limited warranty
- BRAND YOU TRUST: Designed by K&H with OVER 20 years of experience in creating innovative, quality products
Best Warm Dog Beds for Winter on Chewy
Now we’ll head over to Chewy and see what we can find there!
I love shopping Chewy because they ship fast & free (on orders over $49) and have terrific customer service.
1. Aspen Pet Self Warming Pet Bed
If the idea of plugging in your dog bed freaks you out like it does me, go with a self-warmer instead, like this one by Aspen.
Features & Pros
- Uses a clever design with a special interior layer that uses your dog’s own body heat to keep him warm.
- Lightweight so you can take it anywhere.
- Has a no-slip bottom.
- Same technology as space blankets without the cords.
- If you accidentally put it in the dryer, you’ll ruin the technology that makes it self-heating.
- Only comes in one color.
- The largest size isn’t really big enough for larger breeds.
- Not a very durable bed if used every day.
While I like that the Aspen is self-warming, it’s simply too small for my dog, so I can’t really give it a practical test.
It’s not made from super sturdy materials, so this is one that you’ll want to reserve for those really cold days.
2. K&H Pet Products Self-Warming Pet Pad
Although it’s more of a crate pad than an actual bed, this is a good choice if you need something that either travels well or that you can use in the crate.
Like the Aspen, it’s a self-warming bed, so no cords necessary.
Features & Pros
- Materials actually radiate heat back to your dog
- Soft microfleece top for comfort.
- Great for the kennel, dog house, garage, porch both inside and outdoor.
- Non-slip bottom
- Corner slits ensure a perfect fit in your crate.
- Machine washable
- Very thin
- Can’t be covered with blankets (it has to be the top layer)
- Chewers can easily destroy it.
- They make a bit of a crinkly noise.
Since it’s not really a bed (or even thick enough to qualify as a pad), I can really only recommend this if you need something for inside the crate.
3. K&H Pet Products Self-Warming Two Tone Lounge Sleeper
Yet another K&H bed (and still not the last one on this list), I’m kind of in love with the style of this one! Isn’t it adorable?
Cuteness aside, it’s also one of the most highly rated K&H beds on Chewy.
Features & Pros
- Available in 2 color combinations.
- Self-warming material radiates heat back to your pet.
- The outside of the bed is in poly/cotton and the inside is lined in soft micro-fleece.
- Completely machine washable (just don’t dry it)
- Eco-friendly, filled with premium polyfil made from recycled plastic bottles.
- The bottom of the bed non-slip fabric
- Only comes in small.
- The sleep surface is only 10 x 11.5 inches.
- Collapses easily when your dog gets into the bed.
Although it’s super cute, this one really only works for those of you with teeny dogs.
If you have a toy breed or a small dog it’s a fabulous option, though!
4. FurHaven Microvelvet Snuggery
Another absolutely darling option, this one comes in a few different styles (and two sizes).
Features & Pros
- Made just for dogs who love to burrow into blankets and other cozy spots.
- Top layer is a soft, shapeable blanket made with ultra-soft microvelvet
- Single-piece orthopedic foam mattress eases joint pressure.
- Removable plastic hoop lets you fold the top layer back or down.
- Available in four colors
- The larger size is really only big enough for medium breeds.
- Foam isn’t very thick (3.5″) so it’s not the most supportive.
- Plastic that holds up the top is weak.
- Not chew-resistant at all.
FurHaven is a pretty reliable name in pet products, so they’re usually a good option.
Once again, though, this one only really works for smaller dogs as well as those who don’t chew.
5. K&H Pet Products Thermo-Snuggly Sleeper Pet Bed
One last great choice from K&H, this one also plugs in, but the plug isn’t quite so tempting for dogs.
Features & Pros
- Walls around most of the oval gives the ultimate in warmth
- The lowered front makes it easy to get on for even tiny pups
- Super-soft removable cover is washable and can be used with or without the heating system.
- A dual-thermostat, low-wattage heating unit is buried within super-soft bed and is removable.
- Low wattage and energy efficient
- No large or XL versions
- Cushion is a bit flat
- It’s still a cord, even if it is hidden better, so it’s still a risk.
I like this one better than the other electric options because it does a better job of hiding the cord, but it’s still a concern.
I do like the overall style, though!
Out of all the best warm dog beds for winter options, I definitely love the Best Friends by Sheri the best. It’s stylish, cuddly, and oh-so toasty.
I’m also keen to see how the KONA CAVE does in the future, as I think that’s definitely a brand to watch.
Your turn. What are your picks for the best warm dog beds for winter? Share below!
Last update on 2021-06-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API