Looking to learn more about smart dog collars? You’ve come to the right place! We’ll start by looking at what’s available with reviews of our five favorite options. Then, we’ll discuss what makes smart collars a beneficial product and their crucial buying factors. You’ll soon know everything needed to choose the perfect one for your dog.
Check out the table below for a quick side-by-side glance at my favorites. Then, keep reading for a closer look at each one.
FYI, this post includes affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, DogVills earns a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Multiple features to help lost dogs
Effectively tracks health and fitness
No subscription needed
Customizable based on age, breed, and weight
Content & Quick Navigation
The 5 Best Smart Dog Collars (with in-depth reviews)
While there are a ton of smart dog collars on the market right now, very few of them make the cut for the “best of the best.” These five below, however, have gained a solid reputation among dog owners. So it’s time to see what makes them stand out from the other options.
1. Tractive Waterproof GPS Dog Tracker
Let’s start with a simple and affordable option for those who just want a dog tracker without a ton of other bells and whistles. Tractive’s Waterproof GPS Dog Tracker is a solid option if you want a GPS clip-on collar attachment. Its lightweight and compact construction will attach right onto most collars with ease. Plus, it won’t be a burdensome fit like many other clip-on GPS trackers.
- Clip-on GPS device
- Provides live tracking and location history
- Monitors rest and calories burned
- Markable safe spaces
- Rechargeable batteries
- Subscription required (1-year, 2-year, and 5-year plans)
- Top-tier GPS tracking at an affordable price
- Simple to set up virtual safe spaces and fitness goals
- Lightweight and compact via clip-on construction
- Usable in any weather condition (100% waterproof)
- App compatible with iOS and Android
- Clips onto almost any collar
- Short charging cables
- Only tracks your dog’s location. It doesn’t give you any other details like some of the pricier options on this list.
It’s hard not to fall in love with this product’s impressive compact design. But this attribute wouldn’t mean much without top-tier performance. Thankfully, this Tractive device offers excellent live GPS tracking and fitness monitoring.
Users can even set up safe spaces via its practical app. Then, if a dog leaves these safe spaces, the collar will immediately send an alert to your phone.
The only notable complaint about this GPS device was its short charging cables. But this issue seems more like a slight nuisance than any massive deal-breaker.
2. PETFON Pet GPS Tracker
Keeping a lost dog safe has never been easier than with the PETFON Pet GPS Tracker. It has various features to help ensure the pup gets back home safely. It’ll even let users store voice commands so that they can communicate with their dogs during these scary situations.
- Real-time GPS tracking and location
- Up to 3.5 miles of tracking range
- Rechargeable battery
- Compact charging station
- Stores and records voice commands
- Geofencing and built-in colorful lights
- Multiple features to help lost dogs (colorful alerts, voice commands, and geofencing)
- Easy to install and setup via the Petfon app
- Usable in any weather condition (not swimming)
- 8 to 16-hour lifespan per charge
- Small, durable construction
- A higher-priced option
Overall, the safety measures make this product a no-brainer for dog owners. It only becomes more impressive when you consider its significant convenience level. It’s hard to imagine anyone having issues using the Petfon app or disliking its small, durable construction.
But users will have to pay a small fortune to acquire this impressive GPS tracker. They’ll need to decide whether its outstanding quality is worth the increased price tag.
3. Whistle Switch Smart Dog Collar
Dog owners will have a tough time finding a more equipped option than Whistle’s Switch Smart Dog Collar. It manages to track your dog’s health, fitness, and location with ease. I also adore how easy it was to use with its ingenious app.
- Six available color/size options: Black M/L, Black XS/S, Black S/M, Yellow M/L, Yellow XS/S, and Yellow S/M
- Powered by the Pet Insight Project
- Waterproof construction
- 24-hour timeline
- Two interchangeable batteries included
- GPS, health, and fitness tracking
- Effectively tracks health and fitness
- Practical and reliable GPS alerts
- Long-term performance with durable construction
- Easy to use via the Whistle app
- Sleek design offers a comfortable fit
- Only available AT&T network users
- Not compatible with a static IP address (you’ll need to switch to dynamic)
The product’s ability to keep owners apprised about problematic behaviors is incredible. It’ll even let you know when your dog’s scratching and itching has increased. These benefits make it an ideal choice and a dog owner’s dream.
However, non-AT&T users won’t have a chance to use this device. Sadly, this product only works with the AT&T network.
4. PitPat Dog Activity and Fitness Monitor
One of the more convenient fitness smart dog collars would be PitPat’s Dog Activity and Fitness Monitor. Its small clip-on design offers accurate tracking of your pup’s daily exercise. It’s a simple way to help keep them in good shape.
- Fitness clip-on monitor
- Colorful black and orange design
- Lightweight, waterproof construction
- Personal breed-specific goals
- Velcro attachment strap
- Accurately tracks daily exercise, calories, and distance
- Effortless to use via app
- Fits onto any dog collar or harness
- Long-lasting replaceable battery
- No required subscription
- Doesn’t sync automatically (it requires users to push a button)
Keeping your dog in good shape is essential to being a suitable owner. This fitness monitor makes the job easier with its effortless-to-use app and accurate tracking data. You can even set up goals based on your dog’s specific breed for a more personalized experience.
I only wish it synced automatically rather than needing users to press a button each time. Unfortunately, it was a common complaint within this device’s customer reviews.
5. Whistle FIT Health and Fitness Tracker
Our last option, Whistle’s FIT Health and Fitness Tracker, won’t have any trouble monitoring a dog’s overall well-being. It’ll track their valuable health and fitness information without a sweat. Plus, users can customize the process by their dog’s age, weight, and breed.
- Clip-on health and fitness tracker
- Vibrant green design
- Tracks calories burned, distance traveled, minutes, and other fitness info
- Monitors health (itching, scratching, excessive sleeping, etc.)
- Subscription required
- Effortlessly manage your dog’s fitness and health
- Customizable based on age, breed, and weight
- Fits almost any collar or harness
- Quick, reliable notifications
- Waterproof design
- App quality could be better.
Managing a dog’s health and fitness couldn’t be much easier than with this device. Users only need to clip it on and set it using the product’s app. Whistle was also smart enough to ensure it could attach to almost any harness or collar.
However, the product’s app does sometimes have glitching issues. Our fellow dog owners mentioned it more than once in their reviews.
Why Do You Need a Smart Dog Collar?
Smart collars offer massive benefits to both owners and their dogs. The most apparent one would be an increased level of safety. It’s a nice feeling to be constantly aware of your dog’s location when they’re running around outside.
You can also monitor their fitness and health with some more advanced collars. These options make it possible to improve a dog’s life significantly. It’s certainly done wonders, as a smart collar has helped me get my Pitbull’s weight down over the last year.
In the end, smart dog collars are a simple way to improve your dog’s well-being. They cost a little more than a standard collar, but their benefits are worth it.
What to Look for in a Smart Dog Collar
Choosing a smart dog collar requires a handle on several buying factors. I’ll take you through each one to provide a more detailed picture of what option suits your needs. I promise these discussions will make this entire process a much easier one.
Smart dog collars are separated into two types: a clip-on tracker device or an entirely constructed collar. Both have situations where they’re better fits for certain owners.
The clip-on option is a must-have for people who own a stylish collar. After all, I doubt anyone wants to switch out their dog’s personalized one for a clunky smart collar. So it makes more sense to buy the clip-on GPS or fitness tracker separately.
Meanwhile, some owners don’t have an attachment to their dog’s collar. They feel it would be more convenient to swap it out for an entirely constructed smart collar. It might even represent a significant style upgrade over their dog’s previous one.
These collars aren’t inexpensive devices. So it stands to reason that buyers should expect a certain level of reliability. Sadly, some options fail to meet these expectations with their durability.
I’d recommend doing significant research into any possible option. It should provide a detailed picture of how these products managed to hold up with regular use. Customer reviews are an excellent source to help you make a final determination.
These reviews will offer a clear picture of any issues. They’re also quite funny to read, as dog owners often get a little angrier when their expectations aren’t met. You should use their negative experiences to avoid having the same problems.
Dog owners will have a choice regarding their smart collar’s battery type: disposable or rechargeable batteries. The latter is much more convenient than the former but is more expensive.
You’ll need to decide what option best meshes with your pet’s needs. In my case, I’d pay the extra money for rechargeable batteries. I wouldn’t like the idea of having to change out batteries regularly.
Most smart dog collars will require users to pay a monthly subscription fee. So buyers must prepare to set aside some cash to meet this demand. Otherwise, it won’t provide any benefits we associate with these devices.
If I could only recommend one of these devices, I’d choose PETFON’s Pet GPS Tracker. It has everything a person could possibly want in smart dog collars.
Do you have any of these smart collars for your dog? Any others that you recommend? Share below!
Last update on 2024-02-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API