Looking for the best shed-control products for your dog?
As someone who spent nearly 15 years surrounded by dogs who shed like crazy, I feel your urgency!
We tried many different products during my beloved German Shepherd’s lifespan!
Take a look below at some of the best-selling products for controlling dog hair.
You may also like: Large Hypoallergenic Dogs That Don’t Shed (Much)
Best Shed-Control Products for Your Dog & Your Home
Like I said above, I absolutely know the challenges that come from living with dogs who shed a lot!
I used to joke that we could make three new dogs just from my Shepherd’s shed fur!
Below are some of my favorite products and tools to help cut down on or clean up after your dog’s shedding.
Use the table for a quick peek at my absolute favorites, then read on for more details.
1. FURminator deShedding Edge Dog Brush
The FURminator deShedding Edge Dog Brush is one of bestselling shedding tools on the market.
It does one job very well- cuts down on that undercoat shedding.
Take a look at the pros and cons, then we’ll talk about it a little more.
Pros & Cons
|Button releases fur|
|A smidge pricey|
|Counterfeit products on Amazon|
With multiple sizes, it’s easy to choose the right one for your dog breed.
I also love that they added a button to release all that fur.
It’s such a small thing, but really saves time when you’re brushing a massive floofball!
While it is just a bit pricey for a dog brush, it’s definitely worth it!
Just watch out for counterfeit items on Amazon from unscrupulous 3rd party sellers.
We’ve had pretty much every type of dog brush on the market, but this is definitely my favorite for reducing shedding.
You wouldn’t even believe how much loose fur it removes for your dog’s undercoat.
It’s kind of like those blackhead nose strips, where you’re totally shocked the first time you use them! 🙂
Out of all these best shed-control products, this is the first one I’d grab!
- For Large dogs with long hair: designed especially for dogs that weigh more than 50 pounds.
- Removes loose hair: reaches through the topcoat to remove loose undercoat hair without cutting skin or damaging the topcoat (when used as directed).
- FURejector button: just push the button to release hair with ease.
- Ergonomic handle: for comfortable, easy grooming.
- Guaranteed: guaranteed to work or your money back – see product label for details.
- Packaging: ships in own, easy to open, sustainable packaging.
2. Andis AGC2 UltraEdge 2-Speed Detachable Blade Dog & Cat Clipper
Sometimes, you just plain need (or want) to completely shave your dog to stop his shedding.
Hey, I’ve considered it, and I have friends who did it with their Huskies during scorching hot summers.
Even if you’re not giving Fido a bald hairdo, clippers and shavers can help remove excess hair around his eyes, nose, and toes.
For that, you’ll want to reach for the Andis AGC2 UltraEdge clipper.
Pros & Cons
|Detachable blade design|
|Customer service issues|
|Not great for mixed fur|
The biggest con of the Andis is, of course, the price.
It’s definitely more along the lines of what you’d expect to pay for a pro tool.
In other words, not exactly a consumer-friendly price.
Customer service issues is another common complaint, which means it’ll be a hassle to return if you need to do so.
That said, it does have stellar overall ratings and gives your dog a pro shave at home.
The cost could pay for itself if you regularly shave or trim your dog’s fur.
While I never shaved my dogs, like I said, my friend does it with her Husky every summer.
We live in an area that seems to get hotter every year, so it’s almost a must for her.
Yes, it’s pricey, but if it saves you a trip to the groomers every week, it’ll save you money in the long run.
Plus, it comes in super fun colors! Not important, I know, but still a nice little extra!
- Cool and quiet running.
- Perfect for all coats and breeds.
- Detachable blade design for ease of changing and cleaning.
- Super two-speed rotary motor for performance that pros demand.
- 14' heavy-duty cord for ease of movement around animals and equipment.
3. Furminator deShedding Ultra Premium Dog Conditioner
Bathing your dog really helps cut down on shedding by removing loose fur.
Think about your own hair and how much you “shed” in the shower!
If you want to add some oomph to your shed-control process, add FURminator deShedding conditioner to your routine.
Pros & Cons
|Releases undercoat in bath|
|No parabens or chemical dyes|
|Fatty acids for shiny coat|
|Large bottles only|
|Thick & hard to apply|
The biggest issue with this product is the thickness. It’s a bit challenging to apply and really work into your dog’s fur.
The other problem? Right now, only the ginormous bottle is available on Amazon.
As far as pros go, I love that it’s free of nasty stuff that can cause reactions in your dog.
I also like the addition of Omega fatty acids and soothing chamomile.
Conditioner isn’t vital to your bath routine, but it definitely helps cut down on shedding!
For dogs with thick hair, it also helps make brushing easier.
Again, just make sure you’re buying it from Furminator’s Amazon storefront and not a 3rd-party seller.
- Furminator deSheddign Ultra Premium Conditioner
- Reduces excess shedding by releasing the undercoat during the bath
- Contains no parabens or chemical dyes
- Enriched with Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, Chamomile Extract and Aloe Vera
- Use monthly as part of the Furminator at-home professional grooming regiment for best results
4. Wahl Deluxe U-Clip Dog & Cat Clipper Kit
I know we discussed a clipper just two seconds ago, but this one is fantastic for those who don’t have $150+ to spend.
Wahl is one of the top names in clippers for humans, so it makes sense that they’d dominate the market in pet clippers, too.
Pros & Cons
|Great for small dogs!|
|Not for heavy-duty use|
I love all of the attachments that come with this model!
It’s perfect for those of us with super fuzzy dogs AND cats!
That said, since it’s not the most durable set, I’d recommend it for those who only occasional trim their dog’s fur.
It’s not the best option for weekly trimmings (or for a grooming business).
- The Deluxe U-Clip pet clipper and grooming kit is ideal to clip, trim, and groom fine to medium animal hair and fur for dogs, cats, and other pets.
- Ideal for Yorkies, Cavaliers, Shih Tzus, Spaniels, Maltese, and other medium-duty pet fur clipping, trimming, and grooming of paws, face, ears, touch-ups, and light-body clipping.
- Powerful speeds up to 7, 200 strokes per minute make clipping quick and easy; this clipper provides substantial power and speed without producing additional heat or noise.
- This 16-piece kit offers a standard adjustable #30-15-10 blade (Wahl #1037-400) and includes all the tools needed to clip, trim, and groom your pet.
- Measures 6. 5 by 2 inches and weighs 1 pound. The Clipper and blade are made in the USA of domestic and imported parts.
5. HandsOn All-In-One Bathing & Grooming Gloves
If you just want to remove some loose surface hair from your dog, try these grooming gloves out.
They’re super user-friendly-just slip them on and start petting your dog!
Pros & Cons
|Easy to use|
|Easy to clean|
|Pricey for gloves|
|Doesn’t get undercoat|
Grooming gloves are super convenient, especially if you have a short-haired dog like mine who happens to be afraid of brushes.
True story, she’s scared of them!
However, while these will remove surface hairs, they don’t really grab down to that undercoat well.
You definitely need to pair them with a good brush!
I used a pair on my Shepherd just to remove loosened hairs after I brushed her.
- GENTLY GROOM, SHED, BATHE, & MASSAGE PETS - HandsOn's five-finger design, complete with bristle tips on the fingers and round tips on the palm, allow for a versatile expert tool capable of grooming, de-shedding, bathing, or massaging your animal. This pair of gloves gently removes excess hair, debris, and tangles while keeping your hands and finger nails clean from dirt and oil.
- NON-ABRASIVE, FLEXIBLE RUBBER NODULES - Groom and shed your animal without hurting their skin! Non-abrasive, flexible rubber nodules gently massage your pet and remove excess hair while distributing natural oils for a healthy skin and coat.
- BIG OR SMALL PETS / LONG OR SHORT HAIR - Whether you are grooming a horse, chihuahua, or calico cat, rest assured that HandsOn has you covered. Our patented design works on all animals, big or small, long or short hair!
- PETS LOVE IT - Make bathing, grooming, and cleaning an enjoyable experience for both you and your pet! Pets shouldn't fear bath time and neither should you. This pair of grooming gloves make hard-to-reach places easy and quick to clean. Wet or dry, these gloves will not slip or fall off thanks to the hook and loop fastener.
- EASY TO CLEAN - Simply rub your gloved hands together, rinse off with water and air dry, or throw them in the washing machine for quick and easy cleaning. These gloves are also compact enough to fit comfortably in your pocket, grooming caddy, or bag.
6. ChomChom Roller Pet Hair Remover
If you have a dog that sheds, you definitely need a good tool for removing all that fur from your clothing!
Lint rollers alone never really seem to do the job, at least in my experience.
Let’s see why the ChomChom is a great alternative.
Pros & Cons
|Not a roller|
Okay, so this is definitely among the pricier dog hair removers, BUT it’s highly rated.
It’s not really a roller, though, and some customers complain that it’s a bit awkward to use.
However, it’s much better than my “in a pinch” solution of wrapping duct tape around my hand sticky side out!
Hey, duct tape is oddly expensive, so even though the Chom Chom is pricey, it’ll still save money in the long run.
- The ChomChom Roller in a Limited Edition Dog Design!
- Remove your pet dog hairs easily from couches, beds, comforters, blankets and more.
- Reusable, Sturdy Dog Hair Remover Tool: No need for sticky tapes or adhesive paper. The roller can be reused over and over again.
- NO Batteries or Power Source Required. Simply use short back and forth strokes with the roller to capture dog hairs and lint into the dust receptacle.
- 100% Reusable and Eco-Friendly: Dog hairs, lint, dander etc can simply be removed from the dust receptacle.
7. DakPets Deshedding Brush-Dog Hair & Cat Hair Shedding Tool
While the Furminator way up above is your best bet for thick-haired dogs, this one by DakPets is a good alternative for those on a tighter budget.
It’s about half the price, but there are some drawbacks. Let’s look at the pros and cons.
Pros & Cons
|Great for short hair|
|Not for long hair|
With a 4.5 star rating across an incredible 20,000+ reviews, it’s safe to say that dog owners love this brush.
A few did complain that it snags and pulls their dogs’ hair, but overall people rave about it.
Just understand that it’s more for short or medium fur, NOT long and thick fur.
With long-haired dogs, it’ll really only remove some loose hairs on the top coat.
- DOG BRUSH HAIR BRUSH: Our deshedder is developed by pet grooming experts who specialize in animal care. Our Pet Grooming Brush may reduce young & old dogs & cats from shedding by up to 95%. No need to worry about unsightly hair or fur all over your house, beds or car. Consider the savings you'll make on pet grooming tools and visits with your veterinarian or pet groomer. This dog cat grooming comb is so well-priced you can keep one in the house and car
- 100% RISK FREE: Our unconditional MONEY-BACK-GUARANTEE- We only sell NEW shedding brushes for dogs and cats - choose from blue, yellow and pink grooming brushes. We offer a no questions asked 60 Day REPLACEMENT TOOL or REFUND if for any reason you are unhappy with your purchase. Our promise to you - It’s as simple as that for our Dog Comb
- HIGH QUALITY PET HAIR REMOVER: Made from materials that feature a non-irritation 100mm-4 inch heavy duty replaceable stainless steel pet comb, safe blade cover that protects the blades life span. Durable rubber handle for non-slip grip; strong stem-handle that will not break. It’s a perfect grooming comb for cats and dogs - A versatile stand alone pet tool for grooming. It’s a quick clean way to remove loose dog & cat hair undercoat while gaining shinier top coat brush
- PET SHEDDING BRUSH: Best for de shedding small to big animals. Our product protects your cat and dog from coat irritation. Also, a sure fire way to help prevent damaging the topcoat whilst promoting a soft, smooth, healthier skin & coat for your pet. Suitable for pets with single and double coats; brushing will leave your pet with healthy skin and a shiny coat. Reduce coat issues with regular brushing of your furry companion that will reduce chance of reactions in your home
- SHARE A PETS LOVE: BUY a spare one; one for a loved one and one for a friend. RECOMMENDED by both Veterinarians and Professional Pet Groomers. Be amazed at the results of our Cat Brush and Dog Brush for ALL SHAPES & SIZES – Small Medium and Large – Cats and Dogs that have short medium and long hair. Use our Pet Brush confidently on all your pets. Trimming in just a 10 minute session. Also available - replacement stainless combs in blue, pink and yellow colors. A perfect cat hair remover
Since all of these best shed control products serve a different purpose, it’s hard to recommend one over another.
That said, you can rarely go wrong with the FURminator, especially if you have a long-haired dog.
Which of the best shed control products have you tried? Share below!
Last update on 2020-08-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API