If you’re wondering about the best puppy food for firm stools, let us help you out.
Below, we’ll quickly go over the causes of loose poops and some red flags to watch for.
Then, we’ll go over some of the best brands to choose for healthy bowel movements.
Without further ado (and since I’ve run out of ways to say doggy poo), let’s get started!
How to Choose the Best Puppy Food For Firm Stools
Loose stool can be very worrying, and the process of trying to figure out what’s wrong with your dog is both frustrating and overwhelming.
Half of the time, the problem is usually attributed to diet.
It can be anything from an allergic reaction to the food, a sensitive stomach, or a just recent change to a new brand.
Common symptoms of loose stool include:
- Fatigue; passing out several loose stools drains your puppy’s energy leaving him feeling exhausted.
- Dehydration; watery poop drains water levels in the body. Dehydration can easily be detected by looking at gums and eyes.
- Bloating or a swollen pooch; a slightly enlarged tummy mostly accompanies loose stools. You may notice your furry friend experiencing slight discomfort in the stomach.
Before we proceed, note that it is essential to consult your veterinarian first before opting for over the counter solutions (or in this case online solutions).
However, this doesn’t necessarily mean that your furry friend is ill.
Let’s move on to our picks for the best puppy food for firm stools.
Best Puppy Food For Firm Stools
All of these foods are available “over the counter,” meaning you don’t need a prescription.
FYI, if you’re curious about why we’re leaving them off the list, check out what Dog’s Naturally has to say about prescription dog food.
That said, you should still consult your vet or dog nutritionist for advice.
We’ve included links to both Amazon and Chewy, in case you prefer one over the other.
1. Purina Pro Plan Sensitive
Purina Pro Plan is suitable for pups with sensitive stomachs.
It contains rich ingredients tailored to cater to dietary disorientation that cause stomach rumbling and loose stools in general.
To top it all up, it has probiotics for boosting digestive functions and strengthening the immune system.
Purina has several different food categories. For puppies, I recommend the Salmon and Rice Dry or Lamb and Oatmeal Dry food.
Salmon is highly nutritious, and lamb is generally a low allergen meter.
- It contains live Probiotics; which is an essential ingredient.
- Numerous additional vitamins and minerals.
- Free from corn, wheat, soy, and other artificial flavors.
- Different options to cater to unique puppies’ needs.
- Age restrictions; puppy food can only be used with dogs of up to 2 years of age.
- Moderately pricey at $47+ for 30 pounds (This is relatively fair compared to other options.)
Even though probiotics are a vital ingredient, at first, it may slightly aggravate your puppy’s tummies before he/she adapts to it.
Once they do, it’s a smooth ride all the way!
On Chewy.com, it has a 4.6-star rating. I noted several positive reviews were centered around sensitive stomachs. It seems like it’s been working correctly for others.
- One (1) 34 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan High Protein Puppy Food DHA Lamb & Rice Formula
- DHA from omega-rich fish oil nourishes brain and vision development
- Real lamb is the first ingredient
- High-quality protein builds lean muscles
- Used to be known as FOCUS Lamb and Rice Formula
2. Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Puppy Recipe
Taste of the wild is commendable with sensitive pooches and various allergies.
They have numerous options, but the Pacific stream stands out because it’s made from an egg-free recipe.
The main protein in this kibble is fish, which is pretty healthy.
It is highly rated due to its all-inclusive balanced diet nature, which provides your puppy with vegetable fiber, real fruits, sweet potatoes, dried chicory root, and so much more for healthy digestion.
- Natural grain recipes with added vitamins
- Healthy antioxidants from vegetables and dried fruits
- Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acid support
- No corn, grain, wheat, filler, additional flavors and preservatives which are major allergens for puppies
- Made in the USA
- It’s moderately priced although slightly expensive (Honestly, it’s in between); it’s $14.99 for a 5-pound bag.
- Not containing limited ingredients.
Taste of the wild contains numerous ingredients all in one place. First, it is essential to ensure that your puppy isn’t allergic to any of the components before making a purchase.
Since it contains a K9 strain probiotic blend, it will help support your dog’s digestive system, though, as mentioned earlier, it might cause some irritation at first.
On Chewy, it has a 4.7-star rating with several great reviews. It looks like a lot of dogs are responding well to it.
- Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Puppy Food with SMOKED SALMON dry dog food; REAL FISH is the #1 ingredient; high protein (27%) to help support bones, joints and LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- Nutrient-rich and provides the energy to thrive; vitamins and minerals from FRUITS and SUPERFOODS; omega fatty acids for healthy SKIN and COAT
- Each serving includes species-specific K9 Strain PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS — plus antioxidants and prebiotics — to help support healthy digestion, IMMUNE system and overall health and wellness
- FAMILY-OWNED and MADE in the USA using quality ingredients from trusted and SUSTAINABLE local and global sources.
- Formulated without grain, corn, wheat, artificial flavors or artificial colors
3. I and Love and You Nude Food Poultry Palooza Grain-Free
‘I and Love and You’ is a renowned brand for dry and wet food alike.
This particular kibble is made from deboned meat with real fruits and vegetables packed with high proteins and several goodies for great nutrition.
The best part is it can be used for both puppies and senior dogs.
Therefore you no longer have to struggle to keep your dogs from eating each other’s food.
Even though it’s not a limited ingredient food, it is safe to say that all the components come in handy.
Features and Pros
- Features real turkey as the first ingredient.
- Contains HAPPY TUMMEEZ PLUS, probiotics, prebiotics, and digestive enzymes to help with sensitive pooches.
- Suitable for all dogs, from puppies to seniors.
- Made with superfoods, i.e., turmeric, coconut, and flaxseed, to offer additional nutritional benefits.
- Corn-free, soy-free, and wheat-free.
- A little bit pricey. A 23-lb bag goes for $58.99. On the plus side, Chewy offers free 1-3 day shipping.
- Not a limited ingredient.
It is a generally great dry kibble with several perks. The price is hitched, but dog owners love it.
If your dog isn’t a subject of several allergic reactions, then I and Love and You is the right choice.
Because despite it being free from common allergens, it’s not a limited ingredient.
- SUPERFOODS ADDED: Includes additional superfoods like flaxseeds, coconut oil and turmeric
- ALWAYS GRAIN FREE: No, no, no grains, you’re not invited to this dinner party; we’re serving garbanzo beans, lentils, and sweet potatoes instead!
- NO FILLERS, ALL LOVE: Non-GMO protein or produce, no by-product meals, wheat, corn, soy, rice, artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors (Nothing weird or scary!)
- REAL MEAT IS THE FIRST INGREDIENT: This high protein dog food has 34% protein with the first 3 ingredients meat, fish, or poultry sourced (Available in Turkey + Chicken, Pork + Wild Boar, and Whitefish + Salmon)
- TRANSITIONING TO “I and love and you: Please gradually transition your dog’s food over 10 days. Add a little more of “I and love and you” dog food and a little less of the old food every 3 days. We’re all for tummy rubs not tummy rumbles.
- DIGESTIVE BENEFITS: We use digestive enzymes, prebiotics + probiotics, to promote happy tummies and gastrointestinal health
- OMEGAS 3 & 6: Flaxseeds & fish oils that encourage an oh-so-soft coat and healthy, radiant skin (that means it’s time for your close-up, Mr. Snuffles!)
- Allergy Safe pet food and treats
If you’re 100% sure that your puppy’s loose stools are due to dietary factors and a sensitive stomach, then the above brands are suitable for your puppy.
However, we can’t stress it enough- please talk to your vet first. This is not meant to be taken as medical advice.
Do you have any extra thoughts and recommendations for the best puppy food for firm stools? Share below.
Last update on 2022-06-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API