Finding the best puppy beds is so much trickier than choosing a bed for an adult dog.
First, you need to worry about finding something they won’t destroy within seconds flat.
Then, you have to think about choosing only the gentlest materials.
On top of all that, you’ll have to consider whether you want to splurge on a pricey bed that they’ll outgrow or just get a “for now” bed!
With so many things to consider, it’s entirely possible that your pup will be an adult before you make a decision!
Don’t worry, though,my guide will help you find the perfect bed for your pup long before he becomes a senior citizen!
Puppy Bed Buying Guide: What to Consider
Before you begin your search for the perfect puppy bed, let me give you one piece of advice: opt for safety & durability over style.
Sure, you can find cute puppy beds that are also pretty sturdy, by as you’ll see below, it’s harder than you think!
We could stop right there and jump to the next section, as that one tip sums up everything that follows, but where is the fun in that?
Let’s take a look at what to consider when shopping for your pup’s bed.
Durability, durability, durability
Since your puppy can (and will) chew everything in sight- including his bed- durability ranks side-by-side with safety for the most important feature.
You do not want a bed that he can shred in minutes. Not only is this a complete and total waste of your hard-earned cash, it’s potentially dangerous for your pup.
See, not only will your pup shred the heck out of a cutesy-flimsy bed, he’ll also ingest half of the stuff inside of it.
Don’t believe me? You will when your dog is hacking up pieces of fabric on your floor at 3AM!
That’s the best case scenario, too. Worst case, poor pup spends a few nights at the hospital after his bowel obstruction surgery.
Only the safest materials
If you’re going with a durable bed, safety is almost already covered.
After all, if you choose something he can’t eat his way through, you won’t have to worry quite so much about what’s inside.
Note, “quite so much,” not “no worries at all.” You still need to choose safe materials.
Look for words like “hypoallergenic,” “Certipur-US,” and, of course, “non-toxic” in the descriptions.
Beyond the stuffing, you’ll also want to look at the outside of the bed.
Sure, those pom poms lining the rim make for cute puppy beds, but are they really worth the choking hazard?
Again, while it’s possible to find darling little beds with dainty designs, durability matters a whole lot more than style.
The right bed for the right purpose
Once upon a time, a dog bed was basically just a giant pillow that we threw on the floor and said, “there you go!”
Now, we have orthopedic beds, elevated beds with legs, luxury beds, chew-proof beds, outdoor beds, travel beds….I think you get the point.
While you can totally find a small selection of “indoor/outdoor/elevated/travel/does your laundry for you” combo beds, you’re almost better off honing in on one specific purpose for your puppy bed.
As you’ll see, my top two “does it all” picks are a bit on the pricey side.
Totally worth it, yes, but if you just need a “for now” bed, opting for one specific to your purpose will save you a lot of money.
Special breed considerations
While, for the most part, you really don’t need to buy a different bed for your Lab than for your German Shepherd, there are some overall breed needs to keep in mind.
For example, if you have a dog that’s prone to joint problems later in life, you may want to start with an orthopedic bed right from the get-go.
Likewise, if your dog has super short fur (like my Freya does), you’ll want to consider a bed that’s gentle on her skin and that keeps her warm.
Now that you know what to look for when shopping, read on for my top 10 picks for the best puppy beds!
I’m breaking it down into two sections: top 5 most durable puppy beds and top 5 cute puppy beds!
Keep in mind that the cute ones may not be quite as chew-resistant as the durable ones, so you may want to get those once your pup passes through the “devour it all” stage.
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Top 5 Most Durable Best Puppy Beds (with Reviews)
If you want to just take a quick look at the top 10 puppy beds, use the tables below as your guide (you’ll find one right below and one above #6).
Want in-depth reviews? Keep reading for more information about each option.
1. Kuranda All-Aluminum Chewproof Puppy Bed Review
If you want the all-around best and most durable puppy bed, the Kuranda is one of two (the 2nd one is below) that I recommend.
In fact, the Kuranda is one of my top 3 most highly recommended beds for pretty much every breed and need!
It’s as close to indestructible as you can get in a puppy bed (as long as you get the all-aluminum heavy vinyl one).
Features & Pros
- Patented chew-proof aircraft-grade aluminum frame is super durable.
- Holds up to 250lbs, so your pup will never outgrow it.
- Elevated design keeps your pup cool in the summer.
- Heavy duty vinyl hammock.
- No stuffing makes it among the safest options.
- It’s waterproof and easy to clean.
- The warranty kind of stinks. It’s only guaranteed for one year.
- A bit pricey for a puppy bed.
- Kind of a pain to assemble.
If you go with this option (and you really can’t go wrong with it) I suggest spending a little extra on a larger size.
The price difference from small to large or XL isn’t really too astronomical. The only major hike is from small to giant.
By upgrading to the size your dog will need as an adult, you can get a lot more bang for your buck.
Check out our full Kuranda dog bed review for more information.
- ORIGINAL CHEWPROOF BED AND STILL THE BEST - Designed in Maryland in 1995. Patent #US5992348. Still the best. Best design. Best materials. Best workmanship. Best customer service.
- BEST DESIGN - Oversize rails (larger than all competitors) protect fabric in frame. Orthopedic design provides long lasting even support to your dog's joints.
- BEST MATERIALS - Aircraft grade aluminum and high strength PVC won't rust. Premium fabric are abrasion resistant, treated against UV and clean easily. Stainless steel fasteners.
- BEST WORKMANSHIP - Kuranda has been manufacturing elevated, orthopedic dog beds in Baltimore, Maryland since 1995.
- BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE - If you have a question about our beds call or email us. The people who make the beds are the ones who answer the phones and return your email.
2. K9 Ballistics “Cujo Cot” Puppy Bed Review
The K9 Ballistics Chew-Proof bed is right up there with Kuranda in my book. Both are equally wonderful and pretty similar in price.
Features & Pros
- One of the most chew-proof puppy beds you can find.
- RIPSTOP fabric resists chewing, digging and biting.
- All Aluminum frame is standard (versus Kuranda, where it’s just one of the options).
- Waterproof and easy to clean.
- Elevated design makes it great for growing joints and bones.
- Warranty is even worse than Kuranda (180 days on the fabric only)
- Doesn’t come in a giant size (well, it does, but it’s never in stock)
- Challenging to assemble
Although the Kuranda is my top pick, this one comes in at a very close second for those who need a super durable bed.
Again, I recommend going with a size that will fit your full-grown dog so you don’t have to buy multiple beds over the first year.
Take a look at our in-depth K9 Ballistics Cujo Cot review for more details.
3. K9 Ballistics Tough Rectangle Puppy Bed
If you’re not feeling the love for the elevated beds but still want something with a high chew-proof rating, the K9 Ballistics Tough Rectangle is a great pick.
It has a “toughness” rating of 4/5, making it among the most durable pillow-style beds.
Features & Pros
- Comes in sizes ranging from puppy-small to giant-breed-large.
- Made with CertiPUR-US foam in the USA.
- Resists chewing and digging with its RIPSTOP Ballistic cover.
- Cover can be removed and tossed in the wash.
- Comes in a 15 different colors, so if you want cute puppy beds that will last, this is the way to go!
- Memory foam isn’t really all that thick
- Warranty only covers the cover, and only one replacement.
- It’s a fairly short warranty, too, at just 120 days.
The K9 Ballistics Tough Rectangle bed is one of the few options that also offers cute colors as well as durability.
The price jump from small to XL is pretty ginormous, though, so this is one case where you may just want to start small.
Maybe go one size higher than your pup needs versus going for the biggest size right away.
4. Niiyoh Chewproof Mega Mat
What the Niiyoh in cuteness and design, it makes up for in durability and features.
Features & Pros
- Chewproof aluminum mat has no points of weakness for dogs to latch their teeth onto.
- Fantastic for even the heaviest chewers.
- An internal pouch lets you add a heating mat and turn it into a warm dog bed.
- Made with 1680 denier ripstop fabric on both the top and bottom.
- Anti-dust, anti-mold, and water resistant.
- Patented two-layer aluminum frame design lets you adjust the tension of the bed.
- Lifetime warranty- they’ll replace it free of charge one time if your dog somehow manages to destroy it.
- Only comes in two sizes
- No smaller size, both are large and XL.
- Definitely not the cutest puppy bed by a long shot
It is super important to understand that there is nothing inside the bed. The single negative review on it comes from that misunderstanding.
Now that we cleared that up, the Niiyoh is new to me, but comes very highly recommended. As one reviewer said, it’s “built like a tank.”
The only major drawback is that you’ll have to buy it in “adult dog” size. However, it’s priced very competitively with the first two options on this list.
- Chewproof – Our aluminum-made Mega Matt has no points of weakness for dogs to latch their teeth onto, making it a true chewproof bed. Great for heavy chewers.
- Lifetime warranty – Free one-time replacement bed if your dog manages to damage it!
- Features an internal pouch for adding an optional heating pad. Great for arthritis and cold weather! (Heating pad not included)
- 1680 denier ripstop fabric – Both the top and bottom of the bed sport a layer of 1680D ripstop fabric, allowing either side to be used. Double layered for extra durability. Anti-dust, anti-mold, and water resistant.
- Patented two-layer aluminum frame design – by utilizing two separate aluminum frames, the tension of the bed can be freely adjusted.
5. The Dog’s Bed for Puppies Review
Our last entry in the most durable beds isn’t chew-proof, but it’s among the best options for puppies who are still potty training.
It’s also one of the best options for pups who need more support on their growing bones and joints.
Features & Pros
- Made with a 4″ high stability premium foam base and 2″ high-density premium foam topper
- Waterproof removable cover.
- Washable inner liner for added protection
- Medical-grade orthopedic support for puppies prone to hip problems.
- Comes in 8 different colors
- 9 different size options (some with and without headrests)
- Not chew-proof, although it will hold up better than a lot of beds.
- Replacement covers are kind of pricey
- Covers aren’t the most durable, so that pricey replacement is a double-whammy.
This is another time where I’d recommend just getting the smaller size for now, especially since the covers aren’t the most durable and are so costly to replace.
- Small Brown Plush 28x19x4” waterproof orthopedic dog bed. Solid 2” high density, orthopedic memory foam over a solid 2” base of high stability support foam with covers designed so that your bed fits your home decor seamlessly and your dog can stay close to your family
- A prudent preventative measure for younger dogs of breeds predisposed to joint conditions, ensuring your dog’s joints remain mobile into their senior years, improving their quality of life and keeping your dog healthy and active for longer
- Therapeutic bed designed to provide relief and comfort to tripawds, dogs with joint conditions such as hip and elbow dysplasia, arthritis, patella luxation, osteochondritis and other conditions such as torn cruciate ligaments so they can get the rest they need. Prevents elbow calluses as well as pressure sores due to immobility during illness or post-surgery
- The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic was designed to keep your best friend’s joints young for longer. The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic is proven to restore the mobility and vitality of dogs, as well as helping them to sleep more soundly
- Bed comes with removable covers that are easy to wash, quick-drying and include a waterproof mattress protector to catch accidents associated with incontinence
Now that we’ve covered the most durable puppy beds, let’s take a look a the cutest!
Top 5 Cute Puppy Beds
Again, check out the table for a quick peek, then read on for more details.
While I tried to find durable AND cute, for the most part this section does sacrifice a bit of quality in favor of design.
6. Posh Antique Style Sleigh Bed
One of the few cute beds that’s as durable as it is darling, this hand-wrought brass sleigh bed is perfect for tiny puppies.
It doesn’t actually come with a cushion, but I’ll tell you why that’s a good thing in a minute.
Features & Pros
- Made with super durable hand forged iron, so it’s built to last.
- Designed to be used with any standard-sized bed pillow, so you can make it as orthopedic or fluffy as you want.
- Providing your own cushion means never having to wait on pricey replacements.
- The brand, ” “Dr. Livingstone, I Presume…,” has been around since the 1960s, so while they’re newish to Amazon, they’re not a fly-by-night brand.
- Heirloom quality piece.
- Doesn’t come with a cushion (yes, I said it’s a pro, but it’s also a con for some)
- Only comes in one size.
- Fairly pricey for a puppy bed.
I recommend this one if you want something cute and unique AND if your dog will stay small.
It’s perfect for chihuahuas, Yorkies and the like, but a bit much for dogs that will outgrow it within months.
- Product: Dog / Pet Bed
- Design: Victorian Sleigh Bed
- Material: Hand Forged Iron and Tole
- Size: 27" W X 18.75" deep X 12.5" tall
- Condition/Quality: Brand New, First Quality
7. Dog Diggin Designs Cloud 9 Bed
You want cute? Well, you’ve got it! How insanely darling is this little car-shaped puppy bed?
Features & Pros
- Soft, luxurious comfort made from the highest quality materials.
- Covers unzip & are machine washable for ease of cleaning.
- Makes a great conversation piece!
- Comes in three different sizes and two styles
- Designed by actual seamstresses for the utmost quality
- A bit pricey for a puppy bed, although worth it for the craftsmanship
- Sizes are really only ideal for small dogs
This is another one to grab if you have the budget and your dog will stay small forever.
Just make sure you wait until he’s past his chewing stage, you wouldn’t want something this cute (not to mention pricey) to get ruined!
- 30" long x 18" wide x 6" deep
- Cover unzips for ease of cleaning
- Interior sleeping space measures approx 14" x 12"
8. Bessie and Barnie Luxury Puppy Bed
While this one is more on the stylish than cutesy side, it’s probably my favorite cute puppy bed!
Features & Pros
- 5 sizes ranging from small to big enough for large breed dogs
- 360-degree zipper makes it easy to assemble
- Cover is machine washable/dryer friendly
- Reversible, just flip it over if the top gets dirty
- Long lasting soft fabric
- Comes with a waterproof pillow liner to protect against accidents.
- Handmade in the USA
- Not chew-proof
- Outer material isn’t waterproof
- No returns or exchanges (unless they send you something totally different than you were expecting and the item remains unused)
If I wasn’t worried that she’d eat it, I would absolutely get this one for Freya!
Since the price difference between the sizes isn’t too drastic, I would opt for a bigger one than you need right now.
9. little dove Pet Teepee Puppy Bed
Little Dove makes the cutest puppy teepee-style beds, and this one is my current favorite.
Features & Pros
- Made of strong pine poles and 100% durable cotton canvas
- Cotton-canvas mat is machine-washable.
- Easy to assemble and folds down when not in use.
- Free returns and exchanges.
- Even though it looks like a tent, it’s not ideal for outdoor use.
- Sizes are only big enough for dogs up to about 15lbs
- Colors aren’t quite as they appear in pictures
This cute puppy bed is really only an option for dogs that will stay small. If you have a toy breed, though, it’s absolutely darling!
Little Dove also makes a children’s tent that may work if you want to get something for a larger puppy.
- Teepee material:100% Durable Cotton Canvas; Pine Poles; Strong long lasting construction, Cushion is also made of Cotton Canvas, and is Machine washable.
- Item Size:28 Inches tall, 33.8 Inch diameter, middle size suitable for all pets under 14kg/33bs.
- Accessories: Cotton Canvas tent + Pine Wooden poles + Thick Cushion + assembly instructions.
- Pets LOVE this Pet Bed House. It's a unique native American design that will suit your home decor and will fit effortlessly into your living space. BOTH you and your pet will LOVE it.
10. Blueberry Pet Heavy Duty Pet Puppy Bed
This last option is both cute and somewhat durable (although not as sturdy as the top five puppy beds).
It’s also the most budget-friendly of all my picks, so there’s that, too!
Features & Pros
- Filled with 100% Recyclable eco-friendly micro fiber.
- Made of linen and poly-blend fabric for added durability.
- Cover is removable and washable
- Comes in 8 different colors
- Replacement covers available (grab an extra one and swap them out for more design options).
- Only two bed sizes- small and medium.
- Size is for overall bed, not just the sleeping surface.
- A major challenge to disassemble and assemble for washing
I have quite a few items from Blueberry pet and they’ve held up pretty well even with my beastie.
While I’ve never bought their beds, they have great overall reviews! Since the price difference is just a few bucks, I’d go with the larger one.
- External dimension 25"x 21"x 10", internal dimension 14"x 11.5"x 5.5", weight 6 Lbs; Please add extra 6-12" to the length of your dog in favorite sleeping position to confirm the bed size. Designed like a sofa, this lounge bed provide a soft and cozy place for your pet to rest and relax
- Material: Made of linen and polyester blended fabric for added durability. Filled with 100% Recyclable eco-friendly micro fiber. NOTE: Linen is a natural material, environmental friendly. Differences in color shading, marks and grain are the inherent characteristics of the natural linen. This means no two pieces are the same, enabling each customer to purchase a one-of-a-kind bed
- Washing: The cover is fully removable and washable. The durable YKK zips makes it easy to unzip the bed and toss the outer COVER into the washing machine for a deep clean. Machine-washable with similar color items in cold water ONLY on the gentle cycle. Tumble dry
- Package: This sophisticated bolstered dog bed will be delivered with Rolled up cover. The inner fillings are neatly vacuumed and wrapped with the shell. Unwrap the cover and stuff it. For a better bed shape, be sure to flip the stuffing before you get them into the cover
- Picture was taken from a 25" x 21" x 10" bed
My #1 bed on this list is also my top overall pick. You seriously cannot go wrong with a Kuranda. It’s everything you could need in a puppy bed and more.
If you want to give up a bit of durability for style, though, the Bessie and Barnie is my favorite!
How about you? What are your picks for the best puppy beds? Share below!
Last update on 2023-03-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API