Looking for the best orthopedic dog beds for large breeds?
While there are a ton of great choices out there, I know you don’t have time to research every one of them.
Plus, there are so many questions to ask yourself before shopping.
Not all orthopedic dog beds are created equal, after all.
Do you want something that supports a growing puppy’s frame?
Or perhaps you’re looking for dog beds for dogs with arthritis?
Don’t worry, I’ll take the guess work out by giving you my top five recommendations.
I’ll also give you some tips on what to look for in an orthopedic bed for large breed dogs in case you don’t love my choices.
Let’s get started!
➔➔Hey, Did you download our FREE EBOOKS (Training & recipes)! Download them NOW. They are FREE
Top Features of the Best Orthopedic Dog Beds for Large Breeds
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Like I said above, not all orthopedic dog beds are created equal. What works well for a tiny dog won’t work for your larger pup.
Let’s take a look at the features that you should consider as you shop, then I’ll give you my top 5 picks.
1. Support for your dog’s age and stage of life
When you’re deciding on the best orthopedic dog bed for a large breed, you want to think about your dog’s age and stage.
A puppy with growing bones will need support that conforms to his growing body, while a senior dog may need something with more even support. If your dog suffers from hip dysplasia, consider one of these best dog beds for hip dysplasia.
2. A bed that “grows” with them
Okay, so the bed itself doesn’t actually grow, but if you’re buying for a puppy, you want to make sure you get something that they won’t outgrow in a week.
Great orthopedic beds aren’t cheap, so you want to get the most mileage out of your investment!
You would be better off buying an XL dog bed now than getting a medium one today and a larger one in 6 months!
3. Something that can handle their weight
It may sound like common sense, but you want a bed that can support the highest end of your breed’s weight range, especially if they’re not full grown.
For example, a Great Dane can reach up to 175 lbs in weight, depending on the gender. Even if your Dane is only 150 lbs, you’ll want something that supports the full spectrum.
Larger breed dogs can actually continue to grow for up to 3 years, so don’t assume that he’s maxed out at age 2!
4. A bed that is hard to destroy
Even if you don’t have an aggressive chewer or digger, opt for a chew-proof dog bed for your large breed dog.
Why? Simple: high-quality large breed orthopedic dog beds are far from cheap.
If the bed can withstand chewing, it can likely also withstand your dog’s nails, “plopping” (my large dogs practically shake the house when they plop on their beds) and other wear and tear.
5. Your wish list of “other” features
Once you’ve narrowed down the top choices according to size, affordability, and indestructibility, it’s time to think about your other “wish list” features.
Do you need a bed that doesn’t take up a ton of space?
How about something that can easily be moved outdoors during the summer so your dog can hang out with you on the deck?
Maybe you want something that is self-heating (or electrically heated) so your dog stays warm in your draft house.
Make a list of all the “extras” that you want, and keep in handy as we go through my top picks. It’ll help you narrow down the list to just one choice.
Top 5 Orthopedic Dog Beds for Large Breeds
If these beds look familiar, there’s a reason for that: they’re typically among my top picks for just about any type of dog bed!
Check out the table, then we’ll take a closer look at why they work so well for large breeds.
1. Big Barker Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed
View this post on Instagram
"Our girls love the big barker beds. They are simply amazing. My husband and myself have even slept on it a couple of times!"⠀ ⠀ http://bigbarker.com/ –> because Remi & Daisy deserve REAL beds 🙌 ⠀ ⠀ #dogs #dogsofinstagram #dogstagram #cute #love #photooftheday #instadog #dogoftheday #instagramdogs #doglover #lovedogs #bigdogs #lab #labs #labrador #labstagram #labsofinstagram #lablover #lablovers #labradorable #labradorlove #labradorretriver #laboftheday #labradoroftheday #bigdogs #bigbarker #madeinusa #usa
The Big Barker will always be one of my top recommendations for the best orthopedic dog beds for large breeds because they are specifically made for big dogs.
It just makes sense to buy a product from a brand that’s sole purpose in life is to create the exact thing you’re looking for, right?
- Their memory foam is designed just for large breeds. It’s even too strong for little dogs!
- It’s machine washable, making cleanup a breeze.
- Comes with a 10-year warranty that guarantees the bed will retain 90% of its shape
- Made in the USA with safe materials.
- Some may find it a bit pricey. I did at first, but the more I learn about orthopedic beds, the more I think it’s actually right in the mid-range.
- No waterproof liner! They sell one separately, but it’s not cheap.
- The cover can be tricky to remove.
Bottom line: I highly recommend the Big Barker for large breeds, especially since that’s what they’re made for. Even the greatest of the Danes can get comfy on this choice!
Check out our complete Big Barker dog bed review to learn more.
- CALIBRATED FOR BIG DOGS: Available in Large, XL, Giant XXL dog bed sizes. Too powerful for small dogs.
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: University of Pennsylvania study data showed less pain, more mobility after using a Big Barker for just 28 days.
- 10 YEAR WARRANTY: American made therapeutic foam is the best quality you'll find in orthopedic dog beds. Won't flatten or pancake over time.
- MADE IN THE USA: Handmade by experienced craftsmen and craftswomen in our small Pennsylvania workshop.
- EASY TO CLEAN: machine washable. 100% Micro-suede cover. Soft to the touch, looks great in your home.
2. BuddyRest Juliet Dog Bed
BuddyRest makes a lot of great orthopedic dog beds, but for large breeds I prefer the Juliet.
The simple flat design without bolsters or sides means it’s easier to buy a bed that grows with your dog.
- Odor-absorbing Crypton fabric resists everyday wear and tear
- Kevlar stitching holds the entire bed together and keeps it from busting apart when your dog plops.
- 5 inches of gel-style memory foam to keep your big dog comfy and cool
- Made in the USA
- One of the priciest BuddyRest beds, and among the most expensive on this list
- Not exactly the most stylish option
- Warranty only covers manufacturing defects, not dog-related damage
Bottom line: I would buy the BuddyRest Juliet bed for an adult dog that’s past the chewing stage and that needed a supportive bed.
Even though the Crypton fabric resists wear and tear, it’s not chew-proof, ergo not destruction-proof.
- Relieves arthritic pain and helps dogs with mobility issues
- Does not get hot like other memory foam dog beds
- Utilizing high tech Crypton performance fabrics, it's waterproof, stays clean, doesn't smell and rarely needs washed. No longer will you have to constantly wash smelly dog beds covers
3. KOPEKS Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
KOPEKS is a good option if you’re on a tight budget, as it’s the most affordable bed on this list.
Don’t let that fool you, though: it’s one of the most highly-rated orthopedic beds on multiple pet retailer websites.
I’d suggest going with the Jumbo XL because it’s actually closer to the large size in other brands.
- It’s made with 100% orthopedic grade hypoallergenic memory foam.
- Soft & cuddly machine-washable micro-suede cover.
- Includes a water-resistant removable liner beneath the top cover.
- Anti-slip rubber bottom
- The sizes are a bit off compared to most other beds. For a large breed, you need the jumbo XL.
- Liner is more water-resistant than water-proof.
- Possibly not made in the USA (information isn’t disclosed)
- Cover may get wrinkly, which isn’t good for older dogs with aging skin
Bottom line: Again, this is an ideal choice for an older dog, since it’s not really as durable as, say, the Big Barker.
Still, if you have a small budget, it’s a great option.
- dimensions: 50”l x 34”w x 7” thick memory foam plus a 3” thick headrest
- hypo-allergenic premium memory foam - not egg crate foam or other orthorpedic non memory foams - compare to therapeutic foam found in high end mattress stores
- special loving: great for pets with arthritis or joint and muscle issues
- double layer protection – interior cover: waterproof fabric zippered cover/ exterior cover: soft, plush suede with an ant-slip bottom zippered cover
- kopeks is a registered trademark and best-seller of pet accessories.
4. Friends Forever Dog Bed
View this post on Instagram
Somebody is loving her new Friends Forever orthopedic bed!🐾❤️🐾 I amhoping she loves it more than my bed and hoping it will help her back! #weloveHilde #happydog #dogsofinstagram #rescuepetsofinstagram #pitmixesofinstagram #pitbullsofinstagram #dogs_of_instagram #rescuedogsofinstagram #rescuedog #rescuedogsrock #adoptarescue #adoptarescuedog #dogstagram #dogs_of_instagram #dogsofinstaworld #instadog #rescuepetsofinstagram #friendsforeverdogbed #Hildeishome
- Made with human-grade materials for the utmost safety
- Comes with a water-resistant liner to keep accidents from seeping through
- Machine-washable cover resists wear and tear
- Non-skid bottom to keep it in place.
- Comes in subtle and stylish color options
- It’s made in China. Not my favorite place to get pet products from!
- The zipper isn’t the most durable and may break easily.
- Kind of stinky out of the box, like most inexpensive memory foam tends to be. It should be fine once you air it out, though.
Bottom line: I prefer this option for an older large breed dog that’s past the puppy chewing stage.
Like the KOPEKS, make sure you pay close attention to the sizes. A large is about the size of a medium in other brands.
- Designed with extra care, your pet's comfort is our priority, Your dog will get a solid night's sleep in this luxurious bed, The cushioned plush poly-fill bolster provides your dog exceptional comfort, even for dogs with joint pain or arthritis
- Water-resistant liner and human-grade mattress foam, this orthopedic bed has been put to the test proven to be durable and long lasting
- Bed Size: 36in x 28 in x 9 inch, Huge clearance is perfect for a couple smaller pets who like it cozy or 1 medium dog or 1 large dog breed up to 75lbs, Great head, hip and bone support
- Pet-Loving parents will score major points from their dogs with this new, ideal and comfy bed
- Easy to Clean: Soft, removable cover is durable, and machine-washable, You can remove the cover anytime with the YKK pure metal zippers and keep your pet's bed clean, Non-skid, non-slip bottom, Fur and Hair resistant & anti-tear cover
5. All-Aluminum Kuranda with Heavy-Duty Vinyl
Another popular choice, this one is ideal if you need something that is as chew-proof as humanely possible!
As long as you get the all-aluminum with the heavy duty vinyl, the chances of your dog destroying this bed is virtually nil.
Along with the indestructible nature, it has other fantastic features that make it a top pick for orthopedic beds for large breeds.
- Simple, stuffing-free design makes it harder to destroy (and doesn’t leave a mess behind if your dog does break it)
- Incredibly sturdy frame can support even the largest of the large breeds
- The material is allergy-friendly, which is a must for dogs with sensitive skin
- Cheapest bed (cost-wise) on this list, which is amazing considering it’s also the most indestructible bed here!
- Can be tricky to assemble, especially if you lack patience like I do!
- It’s so different from standard beds that your dog may not like it.
- Legs are not adjustable, although you can ask for different lengths if you order over the phone through their website.
Check out our full Kuranda Dog Bed review for more details.
Bottom Line: I would 100% recommend this bed for large breed dogs of all ages and life stages. Even without stuffing, it helps distribute your dog’s weight evenly and take pressure off joints.
I also love that replacement parts are totally reasonable. Even the fabric won’t break the bank if you need to replace it.
- Patented, CHEWPROOF HIGH STRENGTH, lightweight aircraft grade aluminum frame supports up to 250lbs.
- Elevated/Raised orthopedic design to keep your dog dry, cool, and comfortable indoors and outdoors.
- Easy to Clean, guaranteed to stand up to repeated cleaning.
- Heavy Duty 40oz solid vinyl is our most durable fabric. Its ideal for determined diggers and larger,heavier dogs. Its smooth surface is easy to clean. And great for outdoor use.
- 1 YEAR WARRANTY / Outside Dimensions: 44x27x9 / Fabric Area: 40x24 / Does Not Come Assembled
If I had to narrow it down to just two picks for the best orthopedic dog beds for large breeds, I’d have to go with the Big Barker and the Kuranda.
Although they are completely different as far as style goes, either one would work great for my own large breed dogs.
My Pharaoh Hound would do well with the Kuranda because she’s destructive, while my Pit would love the Big Barker.
How about you? Do you have any other choices for the best orthopedic dog beds for large breeds? Share below!
Last update on 2021-08-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API