Need help choosing some good hide-and-seek dog toys that keep your pups from getting bored? My pooch can’t get enough of these options below! I’ll give you an in-depth look at what benefits these products offer and how to choose a suitable option. So, let’s not waste more time and dive right, starting with a quick side-by-side peek at all of the toys.
FYI, this post includes affiliate links. If you buy anything through these links, DogVills earns a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
5 Best Hide and Seek Dog Toys
A quick search on Amazon for Hide and Seek dog toys will show you that there are TONS of options. Take a closer look, though, and you’ll notice that most of them come from a small handful of brands. I don’t want to overwhelm you with a massive list featuring dozens of options all from the same few companies.
So instead, I’ll share my favorite toys from each brand (one company appears twice, but you’ll see why it makes sense in a moment). Then, I’ll show you a few more options that you might like, when applicable. These five dog toys are excellent choices to entertain any dog. So let’s see what makes them so effective at keeping our pups’ brains busy.
1. BULLTUG Hide and Seek Dog Toy
The BULLTUG Hide and Seek Dog Toy is an adorable way to provide dogs with high-quality mental stimulation. Its puzzle design will confuse them while offering endless opportunities to get cute pictures. I can already see how my Pitbull would adore this one.
- Three available designs: Hike N’ Seek, Peek N’ Seek, and Trash N’ Seek
- Rope handle
- Thick fabric layers
- Puncture-proof squeakers
- Bonus bouncy ball included
- Adorable toy designs (raccoons, monsters, or birds)
- Excellent mental stimulation via its rewarding puzzle
- Produces a crinkle sound that dogs love
- Long-lasting toys with a durable, sturdy construction
- Suitable for puppies and adult dogs
- Some customers reported shipping issues
- If your dog is a heavy chewer, it may not last long (honestly, though, that’s the case for ALL dog toys, even those that are “virtually indestructible.”)
Aside from its compelling puzzle and adorable design, I love this toy’s durability. It has a stellar reputation for withstanding both rambunctious puppies and adult dogs. Due to this, it should be the primary toy in your dog’s life for many years.
But I have to mention a few customers reported having shipping issues. It seems their toy arrived without the promised bonus spiky ball. However, they only noted these problems in a handful of customer reviews, so it’s nothing too major.
- NEXT LEVEL HIDE AND SEEK TOY – This challenging puzzle toy is great for dogs to sniff, dig, and rescue the squeaky raccoons trapped inside the trash bag. This burrow toy will keep your pup busy for hours, adding valuable mental stimulation and engagement to their play
- MORE FUN. BUILT TO LAST – Your dog deserves the best quality toys! The Trash N' Seek is made with thicker padding, stronger stitching, and advanced puncture-proof squeakers. It's the only hide and seek toy with tug-of-war strings, bouncy and crinkly characters, a giant bottom squeaker, and a bonus spiky ball. It's a multi-part toy that will become your dog's favorite
- MENTALLY STIMULATING – Dog puzzles increase mental stimulation, reducing stress, anxiety, and boredom. The oversized, round-shaped raccoons and tighter escape holes make the game extra challenging and more enjoyable for your pup
- BONUS TOY INSIDE – The messy-haired raccoon comes with a spiky, bouncy dog ball hidden inside. It's a rip-and-reveal surprise that your pup will love running after
- SUPERVISED PLAY –This plush toy is suitable for medium and large breed dogs, but it is not recommended for miniature breeds or aggressive chewers. Small size puppies should play with it under adult supervision to avoid any potential risks.
Other great options from BULLTUG:
2. Outward Hound Hide-A-Squirrel Plush Dog Toy
Our next option, Outward Hound’s Hide-A-Squirrel Plush Dog Toy, would be an ideal option for any bargain buyer. Its affordable price and stellar features are an intriguing combination. You also have to love the cute squirrel and tree trunk design.
- Four sizes: Small, Medium, Large, and XL
- Tree-trunk puzzle design
- Soft, plush material
- Three squeaky squirrels
- 30-day refund, replacement, or return policy
- Affordable price
- Excellent choice for smaller breeds and puppies
- Soft texture promotes better teeth health
- Reliable construction
- A solid source of mental stimulation with challenging puzzle
- Plush material is a bit messy
- While the squirrels are fairly durable, the “tree trunk” is a bit easier to destroy.
Affordability is this product’s main calling card. However, it also offers a serviceable puzzle challenge for any small breed or puppy. It’ll provide them with more than enough mental stimulation to keep them busy during the day.
Dog owners will have to watch off for the plush material coming off the squirrels. It tends to be a little bit messier than buyers expect. But it seems like a fair trade-off based on its affordability and other appealing benefits.
- HIDE & SQUEAK FUN: The small Hide A Squirrel dog puzzle is an easy way to get small dogs and puppies engaged for hours of fun Just fill the tree trunk with 3 stuffed squeaky squirrels, toss it, and let your dog's natural hunting instincts kick in
- 2-IN-1 INTERACTIVE PLAY: Toss the squirrel-filled trunk, place it on the ground, or take the squeaky plush toys out and launch them for a game of fetch your dog is sure to love
- CHALLENGING & IRRESISTIBLE: Keep boredom at bay and your curious canine mentally-stimulated while feeding their natural instincts to hunt with plush squeaky squirrels they won't be able to resist
- GENTLE ON THE TEETH AND GUMS: The stuffed plush texture of the small Hide A Squirrel dog toy is easy on the teeth, making it a great choice for smaller breeds and puppies.
- PLAY IT SAFE: No toy is indestructible. Do not leave toys with unsupervised pets. Remove and replace toy if damaged.
More amazing plush hide-and-seek toys from Outward Hound:
3. Pet Craft Supply Hide and Seek Pizza Dog Toys
Everyone loves pizza, and now your dog can too with Pet Craft Supply’s Hide and Seek Pizza Dog Toys. The pizza box and three slices will keep them engaged by offering a challenging, fun puzzle. It’s easy to imagine my beagle going crazy over its squeaky and crinkling sound effects.
- Pizza box design
- Three squeaky and crinkly slices
- Machine washable
- Thick outer fabric material
- Free shipping
- Usable for fetching and chewing
- Effectively keeps dogs engaged and stimulated
- Squeaks and crinkles
- Easy to clean
- Ideal for burrowers
- Not recommended for tough chewers
- The hole for the toys is a bit small, especially if you have larger hands
Pet owners will adore this toy for its ability to entertain bored dogs. However, you don’t want to overlook its easy cleaning process. It’ll help ensure this product remains usable longer than other available options.
But this toy’s longevity can shrink quickly when used by tough chewers. So if you have a larger dog or an aggressive chewer, it’s best to look for another hide-and-seek toy.
- SQUEAKY, CRINKLY, INTERACTIVE FUN: Keep your dog entertained all day long with the Pet Craft Supply Hide and Seek Plush Dog Toys! Easily fill the pizza box with 3 stuffed squeaky and crinkle smaller toys and let your put burrow into it for loads of fun!
- KEEP YOUR DOG MENTALLY STIMULATED: It can be hard to keep curious dogs stimulated and engaged – Challenge your dog by having them dig out the pizza toys, or try hiding a treat inside the pizza box to test your dog's sniffing skills!
- FUN TO FETCH OR TO CHEW: Enjoy the 2 in 1 fun with a big plush pizza box for fetching, or smaller pizza toys for great chew toys around the house. let our hide and seek activity puzzle toys keep your furry best friend busy for the day!
- CUTE AND WHIMSICAL CHARACTERS: Our toys are designed with both dogs and their owners in mind. The unique, silly, and playful characters are perfect for posting photos on your dog’s social media accounts!
- MULTIPACK & JUST THE RIGHT SIZE: Comes with a 9” pizza box, three 4” pizza slices toys. Great for small and medium sized dogs, not recommended for extra tough chewers. Always supervise your dog when playing.
- PET CRAFT PROMISE: If your pet isn’t totally happy with the product, please contact our team of caring pet lovers to help you. - Visit our website for more information, or contact us on social media.
More fun options from Pet Craft Supply:
4. Outward Hound Nina Ottosson Interactive Puzzle Toy
If you don’t want a plush toy or prefer something that you can hide treats in, Outward’s Hound Nina Ottosson Interactive Puzzle Toy is perfect. You can use it to keep dogs busy, slow their eating, or curb destructive behavior. It ends up being an effective training tool for all breeds and ages.
- Interactive dog puzzle toy
- Colorful orange and white design
- 21 buying options
- Nine hidden compartments
- Made with food-safe materials
- Nine removable dog bone pieces
- Curbs boredom and destructive behavior
- Suitable for any age or breed
- Compatible with kibble or treats
- Safe, reliable construction
- Perfect training aid for beginners
- Requires handwashing
- A steeper learning curve for dogs than the other toys on this list.
Of course, the product’s versatility is its most apparent and valuable benefit. But I also find myself impressed by its safe and reliable construction. You don’t often find hide-and-seek dog toys that can offer long-lasting performance.
But it would be even more appealing if it was machine washable. It’s easy to see how this issue would become problematic, especially for owners who use wet food.
- BEGINNER DOG PUZZLE: The Dog Smart by Nina Ottosson is a level 1 interactive dog puzzle toy that will prepare your pup for more challenging games with simple one-step actions. Suitable for any breed and size.
- ENGAGING & MENTALLY STIMULATING: This interactive dog puzzle features 9 hidden compartments that are covered by 9 removable dog bone pieces. Hide your pup's favorite treats in the compartments and elevate the bone for an easier grab or leave them flush with the board for increased difficulty. Watch as your dog learns to nudge and paw away the bones to reveal the reward!
- REDUCES BOREDOM & DESTRUCTIVE BEHAVIOR: The Dog Smart interactive dog treat puzzle provides your pup with a fun and rewarding game that can help redirect destructive behavior while supporting their mental wellbeing.
- BPA, PVC & PHTHALATE FREE: Nina Ottosson by Outward Hound interactive treat dog puzzles are designed with your pet's health in mind from food safe materials that you can trust. Easy to clean with warm water and soap between uses.
- PLAY IT SAFE: No toy is indestructible. Do not leave toys with unsupervised pets. Remove and replace toy if damaged.
More Nina Ottosson interactive non-plush puzzle toys for dogs:
5. ZippyPaws Arctic Pals Burrow Dog Toys
Our final option, ZippyPaws’s Arctic Pals Burrow Dog Toys, has my absolute favorite design with its arctic theme. Honestly, both the igloo and penguins are beautifully constructed. ZiggyPaws clearly took their time when putting this toy together.
- Arctic-themed design with igloo base
- Three penguins with built-in noisemakers
- Soft outer fabric
- Rugged, strong stitching
- Free shipping
- Beautiful design
- Gentle on dog teeth
- Challenging and rewarding puzzle
- Durable, long-lasting components
- Top-tier noisemakers with irresistible sounds
- Not for large dogs (medium and small only)
The toy’s design would be more than enough for most buyers. But it’s not the only area where this product excels. You also have to love its built-in noisemakers, which produce a crisp sound that dogs can’t resist.
Sadly, large dog owners won’t be able to enjoy these outstanding benefits. ZippyPaws was clear in its instructions that its toy is only for small and medium dogs.
- Dog Puzzle Toys: Treat your pup to this hide and seek dog toy that gives your pet hours of fun digging the penguins out of the cave.
- For Puppies and Dogs: This squeaky dog toy is a must-have for your puppy. Each penguin has an irresistible noise maker to keep your best friend entertained!
- Interactive Puzzle Toy: Challenge your dog with a stimulating game of hide and seek with this plush dog toy.
- Just the Right Size: Our Burrows are recommended for dogs of all sizes - but not recommended for extra tough chewers
- Unique Design - Beautifully-designed, high-quality pet products for the modern dog and dog owner
More great options from ZippyPaws:
Benefits of Hide and Seek Toys for Dogs
Hide and seek toys are an excellent way to encourage your dog’s instincts. These toys make them sniff and let loose in a controller area without consequences. Plus, it’ll provide significant mental stimulation to get their brain busy.
These benefits alone make hide and seek toys a worthwhile purchase. After all, “a mentally stimulated dog is a happy dog.”
It also doesn’t hurt that most hide-and-seek toys have affordable designs. So dog owners can take many cute pictures to share with family and friends.
What to Look for in Hide and Seek Dog Toys
Selecting the perfect hide-and-seek dog toys can be an overwhelming process. After all, there are many available options with varying degrees of quality. So it becomes essential to figure out what makes specific options better choices than others.
This section will help you out by discussing all the crucial buying factors. As a result, it’ll ensure you don’t have trouble selecting the best hide-and-seek toys.
Safety is the number one consideration when buying any dog toys. Hide-and-seek toys aren’t any different, with many unsafe options available. So how does a dog owner determine what toys are safe to use?
Customer reviews are a vital resource for making this determination. Other buyers make it a point to let their fellow dog owners know when a product causes an issue. It’s wise to use their experiences to help avoid unsafe options.
I’d also suggest avoiding any toys with sharp edges or pointy objects. Dogs are often more reckless than we expect so these attributes can cause severe damage. The last thing anyone wants is taking an unexpected vet visit due to a mishap with a doggy toy.
Hide-and-seek dog toys need to have durable designs. Otherwise, you’ll need to replace them much more frequently. It can cost owners a small fortune to keep up with how many toys their dogs rip apart.
I speak from experience as my Pitbull has gone through numerous hide-and-seek toys. I’ve managed to find a solution by only buying toys made from high-quality materials. It costs a little more upfront but saves me money in the long run.
Make sure to account for your dog’s size when buying a hide and seek toy. No reason a large Great Dane should play with one meant for puppies. It could represent a safety issue, especially if the toys are swallowed whole.
Luckily, finding a suitable size won’t be difficult with hide-and-seek toys. Most manufacturers will put suited ages and weight ranges in the product description. If you follow them, selecting a suitable and safe choice should be easy.
Your Dog’s Personality
Our last buying factor is a little unorthodox but still vastly important. You’ll want a hide-and-seek toy that vibes with your dog’s personality. For instance, I wouldn’t give a rugged toy to a gentle dog or vice versa.
Another example would be giving a squeaky toy to an overly cautious dog. It’ll only end up scaring them from using it. You’ll then be stuck with a useless toy that doesn’t improve your dog’s life.
So owners would be wise to consider their dog’s temperament. It’ll help ensure you make a final choice that everyone loves.
I hope one of these hide-and-seek toys has caught your attention. If I had to put my recommendation behind one, I’d choose BULLTUG Hide and Seek Dog Toy. Its durable construction has the best chance to meet the needs of almost any dog breed and its owner.
Do you have any other hide and seek dog toys that you’d recommend? Share below!
Last update on 2023-03-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API