With more and more options popping up every day, finding the best dog subscription boxes that are actually worth the cost is a challenge.
You’re in luck today, though, because I’m a total subscription box addict and you get to benefit from my penchant for surprise packages!
Today, we’ll talk about my picks for the top 5 best dog subscription boxes to throw your hard-earned cash at!
Each box offers something unique and fun for your faithful canine pal!
Let’s discuss WHY you’d want to buy dog subscription boxes in the first place, then we’ll check out my favorites!
You may also love: Top 10 Best Toys for Deaf Dogs
Why Buy Dog Subscription Boxes?
Let’s get real for a moment: dog subscription boxes aren’t exactly cheap.
They’re not terribly expensive, either, but they’re definitely not as cheap as just buying your dog a new toy or two.
So, why bother? Here are just a few of my top reasons:
- Good value for the money overall, as services strive to give items that collectively cost more than the box itself.
- Variety is the spice of life, even for a dog, and sometimes it’s hard to find fun new items at the same old stores.
- Most boxes include “exclusives” that you can’t get anywhere else.
- You’re supporting small businesses since most boxes include smaller brands that may not get much “airplay” otherwise.
- If you choose wisely, you’re also supporting dogs in need, as many donate to shelters & rescues.
- Why not?? They’re just plain fun for both you and your dog! My Freya goes nuts when she gets a new box in the mail just for her!
Best Dog Subscription Boxes
I’ve tried out a lot of subscription boxes over the last few years, including a many pet-centric ones!
The first one on my list below is by far my favorite, but if you want to mix things up a bit, the rest are also fairly stellar options.
Take a look at the table below for a quick peek and where to find them on Amazon, but be sure to keep reading for more details.
You’ll want to play close attention to #1 as I’ll be giving you a direct link to where you can find some pretty awesome deals!
Heads up: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
1. BarkBox Dog Subscription Box Review
Here’s a pic of my Freya, getting ready to defluff “Floyd.” All of the toys have SUPER cute names!
Let’s take a look at the features & pros, then the very few cons and my final recommendation.
Features & Pros
- Exclusive toys that you won’t find anywhere else (and they have fun names to boot!).
- Frequent specials & sales, like extra free toys or discounted memberships.
- Box value is always at least $40 (so about $10 more than the actual cost)
- First box ships right away, no waiting, and every box ships free!
- Boxes are somewhat customized to your dog (you’ll answer questions about her breed, age, and allergies when you subscribe)
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
- Lowest-priced box on this list (aside from special first box deals on some of the others).
- The one-off box is quite a bit higher than a 6-month subscription box ($35 vs $25 on their website).
- They don’t make a cat box, so if you wanted to get something for kitty, too, you’re out of luck.
- Auto-renewing subscriptions mean extra steps in canceling, but that’s true with most boxes.
Honestly, you could stop right here and have the perfect dog subscription box (although I hope you’ll keep reading)!
BarkBox is my favorite for a very good reason. Along with providing a high-value box, the company itself is very passionate about dogs and it shows.
They are very active in helping dogs and dog-lovers, from donating a portion of their sales to pets in need to establishing special military discounts and more.
Keep in mind that the toys in the original BarkBox are meant to be destroyed (as in, while semi-durable, they’re not going to hold up against your destructive pups).
However, if you want something that can withstand heavier gnawing, your best bet is to pay a few extra bucks for heir SuperChewer box.
In fact, you can get a FREE Benebone toy with ANY SuperChewer plan purchase!
That deal is only through their website. You can also buy BarkBox on Amazon if you prefer.
- A $45 VALUE IN EVERY BOX: 2x original toys made by us, 2x bags of fresh healthy treats, and 1x yummy dental chew. We design each month around a fun theme, so every box is a new surprise for you and your dog, with goodies that will never be repeated.
- EXCLUSIVE TOYS: New original toys every month with thoughtful features like spiky ball squeakers, crazy crinkles and soft 'n' stretchy rope, to keep your dog happy and engaged. Whether they thrash, tug, or tear out fluff, we've got toys for your pup.
- HEALTHY & YUMMY: Our delicious treats and chews are locally sourced with all-natural ingredients from American farms and made in the USA. No wheat, no soy, no corn-the good stuff!
- TAILORED TO YOUR DOG: Allergy-friendly options plus always-changing play styles and materials designed for YOUR dog.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: If your dog's not happy, neither are we. Our world-class customer support team of dog-crazy people want to help!
2. The Dapper Dog Box Review
The Dapper Dog Box is another fabulous option for those who want a good mix of toys and natural treats.
Like BarkBox, each month focuses on a specific fun theme (Under the Sea, Happy Howlidays, and so on).
Features & Pros
- Every box comes with 5 full-size themed goodies. They include 2 treats, 2 toys and a limited-edition bandanna.
- They only include all-natural treats and chews primarily made in the USA, with an emphasis on small businesses.
- NO rawhide or animal bones ever.
- They donate part of their sales to help rescue and shelter dogs.
- The 5th item is always a bandanna, so if you’re not into dressing up your dog, it’s not really something you’ll use.
- Speaking of the bandanna, some customers say that it’s way to big for their dogs.
- The toys aren’t very durable, so don’t expect them to last a long time.
- Unclear shipping schedule (just says “every month”) so it’s hard to know when you’ll get your first one.
For those who love putting cute bandannas on their dog, this is a great option. My dog wouldn’t wear one, so it’s not my first choice.
As long as you understand that the toys are pretty much made to be destroyed and not cherished for a lifetime, you’ll be happy.
That goes for pretty much all dog toys, except maybe for super duper tough
“chew proof” toys, but tearing them apart is half the fun for your dog!
Your first box is half-price on Amazon (at least it is as I write this), which makes it worth trying.
- Create lasting memories with your dog every month! Each box includes 5 FULL SIZE goodies, all curated around fun themes like Birthday Party, Fiesta, Under the Sea, and Happy Howlidays. We handpick cute, high-quality products that dogs love.
- Each month you'll receive: 2 treats or chews, 2 toys, and LIMITED EDITION BANDANA only available from Dapper Dog. We are the only dog subscription box that includes a special dog bandana in EVERY BOX. Your pup will look adorable in this trendy accessory.
- We focus on NATURAL treats and chews, with an emphasis on products Made in USA. We know every dog has different preferences, which is why we include different types of treats each month. You'll never receive rawhide or animal bones in your box.
- Discover new brands your dog will love! Try items like natural meat treats from a family farm, handmade dog cookies from a local bakery, superfood nuggets and more. You can support small businesses and get awesome stuff for your dog!
- We believe in giving back, which is why we donate a portion of sales to HELP RESCUE AND SHELTER DOGS. Your purchase is helping shelter dogs in need. Don't dog's everywhere deserve to be happy and healthy in safe homes?
3. Bark If You Want Some Dog Subscription Box Review
Bark If You Want Some (or BIYWS, as they call themselves) is definitely one of the pricier dog subscription boxes, but they offer some great guarantees to back up that cost.
They also strive to provide a more premium experience for dogs by offering high-quality natural treats and toys.
Features & Pros
- Each box comes with 4-6 items, including some unique themed toys (like Game of Thrones, unicorns, monsters, etc).
- Along with toys & treats, most boxes come with one high-quality fashion item (raincoats, collars, and such).
- All items are backed by a durability and satisfaction guarantee
- Toys & fashion items are treated with “Silver Shield technology” to keep them free of odors & bacteria.
- Treats are mostly made in the US and Canada, and all are made with premium natural ingredients.
- It’s the most expensive one on our list and among the priciest I’ve seen anywhere.
- Confusing description, as one part says 4-6 items and one says 6-7.
- Can’t get the first box right away (depending on when you order, you could end up waiting nearly a month)
If you’re a Prime member and get it on Amazon, your first box is heavily discounted. Not quite half off, but still a steep price drop.
After that, though, it is a bit on the expensive side. Still, if it does come with 6-7 items (versus the 4-6), then it’s really not a bad price.
The toys are a bit more durable than some of the other boxes, but again, don’t expect them to become family heirlooms!
With a pretty good first box discount, it’s definitely worth a try.
- The Premium Dog Box
- 4-6 Dog products in each box
- Premium Items every month
- Find items from your favorite characters : Game of Thrones , Rick & Morty, and more
4. Raw Paws Pet Dog Birthday Treats
The Raw Pets gift box isn’t so much a subscription box in the “yay, new surprises every month” sense as the “subscribe to get it when you want” subscription sense.
So, why am I including it? Well, two reasons. One: it’s a great way to stay stocked up on your dog’s favorite treats.
Two: it’s the perfect option for those who don’t really want random toys every month, since it’s all food items.
Features & Pros
- Filled with treats & chews, no toys that end up getting thrown out five minutes later.
- Makes a great gift for a new puppy parent. Give them a recurring subscription or a one-off box.
- Includes a variety of grain-free biscuits & all-natural 100% digestible chews.
- Treats are made in the USA. No dangerous China junk.
- Backed by a full refund, no questions asked guarantee.
- All treats, no toys (yeah, it’s a pro but also a con for those who want a little more variety).
- Rawhide products make up about half of the box, and I’m not a big fan of those.
- The “small dog” box is for dogs 25-30 lbs, so basically too big for a lot of smaller breeds.
- Price is the same for all dog sizes. I feel like if you’re buying a box with smaller items, the price should reflect that.
I love that Raw Paws is a family-owned business. While I have my favorite “big brand” items, I do try to support smaller companies whenever possible.
While the price is a bit steep, it’s still reasonable for what you get.
The jumbo bully sticks alone will cost you an average of about $8 each, and you get two of them.
Since it’s not a “traditional” dog subscription box (if there is such a thing), you’ll get your first one right away. Then you can decide how often you want it after that.
- MAKES THE PERFECT DOG BIRTHDAY GIFT: Five different mouth watering chews and treats for large dogs!
- THIS GIFT BOX FOR DOGS INCLUDES: Compressed Rawhide Sticks & Bones, Jumbo Bully Sticks, Grain-free Dog Biscuits & Peanut Butter Cookies for Dogs.
- ALL-NATURAL CHEWS & TREATS: Any dog will love this wholesome variety!
- DELICIOUS & NATURAL: 100% digestible and free from artificial anything!
- 100% SATISFACTION: Full Refund Guarantee - no questions asked!
5. PoochPack Dog Subscription Box Review
Let’s head back to the “surprise me” definition of dog subscription boxes for our last option, PoochPack
This brand is apparently relatively new to Amazon, so they don’t have a ton of reviews. However, the customers that have left reviews absolutely rave about it.
PoochPack focuses on “canine enrichment,” so their toys are a little more unique than the average plush squeaky toy.
Features & Pros
- Each box comes with two toys designed to stimulate your dog’s mind and body.
- All boxes also come with two treats made in the USA.
- They also include a fun little gift for dog parents, too. In fact, they’re one of the very few that do this.
- Along with treats & toys, you’ll also get one “dog wellness” item in each box, like shampoo or a grooming brush.
- Every box includes a mini magazine with training and enrichment tips to help you get the most out of the included toys.
- They only offer one size, so toys may be too big for small breeds or too small for large breeds.
- No guarantee, and boxes are both non-exchangeable and non-refundable, so if you absolutely abhor it, you’re totally out of luck.
- While treats are made in the US, some of the toys are made in China.
I like that PoochPack focuses on enrichment toys, and that they include a little guide on how to use them with your dog.
I’m not too thrilled about the completely lack of guarantee, though, especially for a relatively pricey box.
I also don’t love that the “one size fits all” approach. Toys that are too small can be dangerous to large breeds, and too-big toys aren’t much fun for little guys.
That said, it is a rather unique option compared to the other dog subscription boxes on our list, so it’s worth a shot.
- CHALLENGING AND ENGAGING TOYS: Engaging and exciting toys 'trigger' high levels of BOTH mental and physical activity! Interactive toys that give your Pooch a task or objective to complete, satisfy many instinctual needs and have countless health benefits.
- ORGANIC HEALTHY TREATS: All treats are organic and contain limited-ingredient recipes.
- PET PARENT PRIDE: Peace of mind knowing you're doing the absolute best for your Pooch.
- PREMIUM VALUE: The items in PoochPack retail for $60+
Here is where I usually say, “Oh, they’re all great choices, you decide!” However, in this case, I do have one very strong favorite.
If you can only buy one of these dog subscription boxes, make it BarkBox!
Of course, the others are wonderful, too, or they wouldn’t be on this list. 🙂 So go ahead and mix things up a bit if you have the budget for it.
How about you? What are some of your favorite dog subscription boxes? Share below!
Last update on 2019-09-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API