If your pup sleeps with you at night, you may want to consider grabbing some dog steps for your bed.
Even if you don’t have a teeny pup who needs a boost or a senior dog with aching joints, they’re a good investment!
Today, we’ll talk about why dog steps are a good buy, then check out my top five favorites for dogs of all sizes.
Let’s get started!
Why Buy Dog Steps for Your Bed?
If you have a tiny dog who can’t quite make the jump into your bed or a senior dog who is beyond his leaping days, you already know the answer.
However, like I said above, those aren’t the only cases where they come in handy!
Let me tell you a quick story and you’ll see how useful they are even for spry young pups.
Up until a couple of years ago when she crossed the bridge, I had a diva dog named Maia. That’s her below.
Missy Maia was a spoiled pup, and that’s putting it mildly! I blame my ex-husband, who pampered her beyond belief from day one.
Even though, as a lab/collie, she was totally able to jump into the bed (and jump she did when no one was around to help her), she insisted that she was just too fragile to do it on her own when we were around.
She would put her front paws up, then turn around and give you this “whoa is me, I can’t possibly be expected to climb up on my own” look.
Being the over-indulgent pet parents that we are, we gave her a boost…with our back problems and all.
Steps would have been the significantly smarter choice there, don’t you think?
Even if you don’t have a total diva dog, steps are beneficial for other reasons, including:
- Taking pressure off your dog’s joints, which can potentially delay issues like hip dysplasia later.
- Training them from a young age to use steps so they are used to them when they really need them.
- Easing the pressure off your own joints for dogs who need a boost.
Not to mention, there’s just something so cute about seeing a pup climb a set of dog stairs into bed!
So, now that you know why you’d want them, let’s find out which ones are the best.
FYI: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Top 5 Best Dog Steps for Your Bed
Pet steps for your bed run the gamut from super inexpensive foam options all the way up to pricier real wood steps.
Let me be honest: the pricier ones tend to last a lot longer, so I’m focusing on those for the most part.
However, since I know not everyone has a high budget, I’m also including a couple of the most highly rated cheaper options under $100.
As always, check the table for a quick look then keep reading for more details.
1. Pet Loader Lightweight Pet Steps Review
If you want to grab a set of pet steps that you can use for your car as well as in your bedroom, Pet Loader is an excellent choice.
It comes in three different sizes so you can choose the perfect set for your dogs.
Features & Pros
- Vet-approved and used in dog hospitals, shelters, and other locations throughout the US.
- Designed to be gentler on your dog’s joints than a traditional ramp.
- The low angle is great for dogs who are scared of getting in the car (or of steps, and yes, that does happen).
- Easily folds down for storage in your car and includes a patented latch system for added stability.
- Made in the USA.
- It’s made of plastic. While they use the best plastic possible, it’s still plastic at the end of the day.
- They charge a 10% restocking fee if you need to return the steps.
- Although the company claims that the steps are lightweight, a few customers felt that they were too heavy.
Of all the pet steps for your bed on this list, the Pet Loader stairs are the only ones that you can really use with your car, too.
Okay, theoretically you could use the others but they would take up a lot of space, be heavier to move, or get ruined in bad weather.
So, if you want a versatile set of stairs, this is the way to go, flaws and all. I like that they have sizes large enough even for the biggest dog breeds.
- It folds to just 7.5" high
- Low angle of ascent/descent and wide decks eliminates fear
- Weighs 24 lbs., 20" to 30" vehicle height
- NOT for side entry vehicles, see Pet Loader Mini or Pet Loader Ultra Light
2. Premiere Pet Steps Review
I think it’s safe to say that the Premiere pet steps are among the most beautiful on this list!
With their real-wood design, they’re great for someone who wants something classy & durable.
Features & Pros
- Made with the same quality wood that goes into making kitchen cabinets.
- Real solid red oak looks beautiful in your home, and the carpeted steps add comfort to your pup’s climb.
- Carpeting is stain resistant and wood is finished for maximum durability.
- The 5.5″ steps are designed for dogs with mobility issues, so they’ll work for pretty much any pup.
- Strong enough to support over 300 pounds.
- At 37 lbs, they’re fairly heavy, so you won’t want to move them around a lot.
- As much as I love wood, it isn’t exactly scratch-proof, so if you have a dog with long nails it could end up looking ragged after a while.
- Since they are heavy and made of wood, they can also scratch your hardwood floors.
I love anything that’s actually made with real wood, especially when the price is so fair! Compared to other plastic steps, these are a steal!
Since they can support over 300 lbs, they’re ideal for all dog breeds. I mean, you could practically let a miniature pony climb on them (don’t try that, though).
The cons are so minor (you can always put down a rug under them and trim your dog’s nails regularly) that they don’t come close to outweighing the pros.
- Quality Kitchen Cabinet Raised Panel Design - Solid Red Oak Dog Steps provide your Pet with easy access and relieves stress on pet's Back and Joints
- Premier Pet Steps brings the Warmth and Feel of Real Solid Red Oak Wood into your Home - Superior Strength and Durability
- 5 1/2" Step Height is perfect for small dog or dogs with limited mobility
- Highest quality stains and finishes retains the beauty of the wood at the same time provides maximum durability - Our carpet is a 60oz stain resistant
- Very Strong will support over 300lb
3. PetSafe Solvit PupSTEP Wood Pet Stairs Review
If you love the red wood style of the Premiere steps but want something that folds up, try the PetSafe Solvit PupSteps.
Features & Pros
- Built to last thanks to the real wood construction.
- Beautiful walnut stain looks great in just about any home.
- Holds up to 150 lbs, making it a good buy for medium to large dogs (but not giant, see below).
- Easy to fold up and store away when necessary.
- Well-known pet brand with an excellent reputation.
- They’re not strong enough to support giant breeds like the Great Dane or English Mastiff.
- They can slip and slide on hardwood floors so you’ll need to anchor them or add a rug under them.
- Backing material isn’t the same quality of wood as the steps and is prone to breaking.
- Fabric on the steps is not very durable.
Overall, I like the PetSafe brand, so I’m pretty confident about recommending these dog steps for your bed.
However, it does have more it’s share of 1-star reviews.
A lot of the negative reviews have to do with issues that occurred during shipping but there are a few regarding the overall quality.
PetSafe has good customers service, though, so if you do have a problem you shouldn’t have an issue getting in touch with them.
- CONTINUE CUDDLE TIME: Use the steps to help your best friend climb up on the sofa or bed all by himself to improve quality time together
- SAFETY TESTED FOR DURABILITY: These durable steps are independently tested and rated to support pets up to 200 lb
- NO SLIPPING: Carpet covers keep your dog or cat from slipping and sliding when they use the steps to get on and off furniture
- SIMPLE TO STORE: Pet steps fold down flat so you can easily store them under your couch or bed
4. Petsfit Wooden Pet Steps Review
If you’re looking for pet steps under $100 and prefer the wood look, the Petsfit stairs are a good budget-friendly pick.
Features & Pros
- Holds up to 150 lbs (however the design makes it best for small to medium dogs).
- Easy to assemble. The seller will even send you a video with instructions.
- The width and depth of the stairs make them a good fit for small to medium dogs.
- Includes rubber grippers on the bottom to keep it from slipping and sliding.
- There’s a fun little hole on the side for kitties, so it doubles as a space saver cat tree.
- Only holds up to 150 lbs, so once again, not a good option for giant breeds.
- The steps also aren’t quite high enough for larger breeds, so even though it can hold a lab, it’s not really the best option for one.
- Not the most stylish steps on this list by a long shot.
- Made from MDF (fiberboard) and pine, neither of which are the most durable materials.
While I’m not generally a fan of MDF for something that’s meant to hold my dog, these steps have fantastic reviews from other users.
If you don’t love the black, they also come in white with beige carpeting. Just remember, they’re not really meant for large breed dogs.
- Helping pets getting up on the couch and tall bed and perfect for pets up to 150lb
- Safety side rails let your pet climb with confidence. Easy to assemble, contact seller to get installation process video
- Wider and deeper stair landings for small and large dogs
- rubber grippers on bottom keep step secure and in place
- Dimension :22 x 17 x 20 inch. More details, please refer to the pictures. Good for dogs with short legs and long body. Wide step make it safe for your pet
5. Zinus Easy Pet Stairs Review
For those who really just don’t like the style of wood (hey, I know you’re out there) and want something really budget-friendly, you may like the Zinus steps.
Features & Pros
- Comes in 5 sizes from XS to XL
- Made with a high-density foam interior
- The soft cover is gentle on your dog’s feet, making it a good pick for pups with paw problems.
- That cover is also removable and washable, which is a super nice bonus.
- Super simple assembly and at just over 7 lbs, they’re easy to move.
- No maximum weight listed for each size, so it’s hard to determine which (if any) would work for your dog.
- Definitely not strong enough for large breeds. Even without weight limits I can tell you that, since they’re made of foam.
- That same foam makes them far less durable (and more appealing to chew) than wood or plastic steps.
One of the biggest selling points for a klutz like me: you won’t hurt your feet when you inevitably kick these steps in the middle of the night!
While they’re not a good fit for my large-breed dog, I can definitely see them being fantastic for smaller breeds.
I love that you can pick them up and move them throughout the house.
If you let your dog sleep on the sofa, you can easily carry the stairs to your living room in the morning and back to your bedroom at night.
- High-density certipur-us Certified foam interior
- Ideal for larger-sized pets
- Removable and washable cozy cover
- 24 inches high and 28 inches wide with 7 inch steps
- Easy assembly
Out of all of these dog steps for your bed, I think I like the Premiere pet steps the best.
They’re super durable, beautifully designed and big enough for all breeds.
That said, if you need steps for your car, too, you’re best off getting the Pet Loader Dog Stairs. Yes, they’re made of plastic, but they have great reviews and they’re very versatile.
Your turn! Which of these dog steps for your bed do you like the best? Share below!
Last update on 2022-06-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API