If you’re looking for the best dog sofa beds to replace your traditional flat slab-like pet bed, I’ve got you covered!
Today, we’ll go over my top five picks and find out what makes them so terrific as well as what cons to consider.
We’ll also quickly talk about what to think about when you’re shopping for a dog couch.
Let’s get started!
Content & Quick Navigation
Buying a Dog Sofa Bed: What to Consider
It’s a good idea to know what you’re looking for before you start actually shopping.
Common sense, I know, but I’ve “vague-shopped” way too often and ended up with things that don’t fit my needs!
Since dog sofa beds cost a bit more than traditional dog beds (on average), you want to make sure you’re getting your money’s worth!
Here are a few things to consider.
1. Do you want a bolster-style sofa or a mini human-like couch?
While some dog sofa beds look just like mini human couches, others are little more than a regular bed with bolsters on three sides.
Both options have their pros and cons, which we’ll go over in more detail in the reviews.
The biggest differences at a glance:
- Bolster-style dog couches are great for older dogs who can’t climb up into an elevated bed. They also cost less on average.
- Elevated couches are more stylish but also have a higher price tag. They may be a challenge for senior dogs who can’t climb up.
2. How much support does your dog need?
Like all pet beds, some dog sofas are more supportive than others.
Typically, the bolster-style beds are made of memory foam, so they’re a bit more cushioned than human-style couches.
On the other hand, a good raised dog couch can be just as supportive because it keeps your dog off the floor and evenly distributes his weight.
It’s kind of like how elevated dog beds are orthopedic even without the fluff.
Keep in mind that while every dog can benefit from an orthopedic bed, not every dog needs one right now.
It’s okay to go with a “stylish-but-still-comfy” option over an “ideal-for-arthritis option” if you’re shopping for a young dog without joint issues.
3. How big is your dog?
You know that saying, “measure twice, cut once”? Well, when it comes to buying dog beds, it should be “measure twice, pay once!”
Basically, measure your dog before you even start shopping for his bed.
That way, you can quickly eliminate certain options as you shop (e.g. a bed that’s too expensive in the large-enough size).
Then, before you commit to purchasing a bed, measure your dog again to make sure the overall dimensions fit him.
Make sure you’re going with the usable dimensions (the sleeping surface) and not the overall measurements.
I find it helpful to use sticky notes on the floor in the shape and dimensions of the bed as well as the sleeping surface.
Other basic considerations
Along with the above, you’ll also want to decide if you need a:
- Waterproof bed
- Chew-resistant dog bed
- Odor-resistant materials
- Removable machine-washable cover
- Hypoallergenic materials (for dogs with sensitive skin)
Now that we know what to look for and consider, let’s check out my top five picks!
FYI: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Top 5 Dog Sofa Beds
As always, take a look at the table below for a quick peek at the top five dog sofa beds, then read on for more detailed reviews on each one.Table could not be displayed.
1. Enchanted Home Pet Ultra Plush Jackson Pet Sofa Review
Enchanted Home Pet makes some super cute dog furniture, including this lovely Jackson Pet Sofa.
Features & Pros
- The Jackson Sofa is Enchanted Home Pet’s largest sofa bed and holds up to 100lbs.
- This beautiful bed is upholstered in velvet with pretty nailhead accents.
- The frame is made of wood while the cushions use comfy milled memory foam.
- Cushion cover is removable and washable.
- At 4 feet long, you definitely need a lot of space for it!
- It’s neither waterproof nor chew-resistant, so it’s not ideal for puppies.
- A bit pricey (but worth it, in my opinion)
The Jackson sofa is gorgeous and will look terrific in your home provided you actually have the space for it.
I love that Enchanted Home Pet doesn’t sacrifice comfort for style. The premium memory foam makes it a good option for dogs who need support.
While it’s ideal for dogs who sleep curled up, it’s actually deeper than it looks in the picture, making it a good pick for any sleeping style.
2. Snoozer Luxury Overstuffed Microsuede Pet Sofa Review
The Snoozer comes in a myriad of color options, so if you’re not loving the teal, don’t worry.
The style reminds me a little of a little floor sofa that I had myself when I was just starting out and couldn’t afford a real couch!
Features & Pros
- Overstuffed bed is super comfy for younger dogs and retains most of it’s fluff over time.
- Microsuede is soft and gentle against your dog’s skin.
- Machine-washable removable cover.
- Although it’s not chew-proof, the cover is very durable and can withstand a bit of light digging.
- Definitely not chew or water-proof
- Uses polyfill instead of memory foam, so not the most supportive for older dogs.
- Dirt gets trapped between the cushions and the base, so you definitely need to vacuum it frequently.
While it’s neither the most stylish or most supportive bed, I still love this one for a younger dog who is beyond the chewing stage.
With nearly two dozen color choices, it’s easy to find something that matches your decor.
3. The Dog’s Bed Premium Orthopedic Sofa Review
The Dog’s Balls (weird name, I know) makes some of our favorite beds, including this sofa-style bolster bed.
Features & Pros
- Comes in 4 sizes, including an XXL for our gentle giants.
- 10″ bolster surrounds the bed on three sides plus a good chunk of the 4th side.
- Made with 4″ of memory foam, including a high-stability base and premium-grade orthopedic top layer.
- Waterproof removable and washable inner cover to protect against accidents.
- Great for dogs of all ages and styles of sleeping.
- Top cover is NOT waterproof.
- Dimensions are misleading, as they refer to the entire bed and not the sleeping surface, so you may need to go a size larger than you think.
- Not really designed to stand up to active dogs (chewers and diggers, specifically)
While this particular model was made specifically for older dogs or those recovering from surgery, it’s a great choice for younger pups.
Just make sure they’re past the chewing and digging stage!
Also, remember that the top cover isn’t waterproof. It is, however, washable.
4. TOV Furniture The Beagle Collection Handmade Dog Sofa Bed Review
If you’re looking for the most stylish dog sofa bed for a smaller pooch, TOV is a great way to go.
The furniture company focuses on creating modern pieces that stand out from the pack and that goes for their dog beds as well.
Features & Pros
- Elegant style looks just like a human couch, so it’s super stylish in your home.
- Super sturdy legs made of stainless steel
- Upholstered in a soft, washable velvet cushion that’s also water-resistant.
- Handmade and arrives assembled.
- Definitely not the most budget-friendly dog sofa bed on this list!
- Only comes in one size that’s big enough for a smaller medium-sized breed at most (although best for small breeds).
- No clear description on the materials used in the cushion.
This dog sofa is absolutely gorgeous and fits pretty much any decor.
As much as I love it, I’d feel even more comfortable recommending it if I knew what was inside the cushion.
Still, it’s a fabulous option for those with small dogs and a big budget!
5. Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed Lounge Sofa Review
The Friends Forever dog sofa is definitely the most budget-friendly on this list, but don’t let the lower price fool you into thinking it’s lower-quality.
This is one of the most highly-rated dog couches on Amazon!
Features & Pros
- Made with 4″ thick orthopedic memory foam for ultimate comfort.
- The cushioned plush poly-fill bolster supports your dog’s head and gives him something to lean against.
- Water-resistant liner helps protect the mattress.
- Soft cover is machine-washable, fur-resistant, and tear-resistant.
- Non-skid, non-slip bottom.
- Needs to be aired out for a day or so because it arrives with a strong odor (that’s common for memory foam beds).
- Zipper is not all that durable.
- While the cover resists tears from normal use, it’s not ideal for diggers or chewers.
- Material on the bottom of the bed is not as durable as on the top.
This is a solid option for dogs past the chewing and digging stage, especially if you have a smaller budget.
It’s also perfect for giant breeds since they have sizes up to XXL.
As always, it’s hard to choose a favorite because they all have different pros and cons.
I really love the Enchanted Home pet sofa because it looks just like a real couch and it’s big enough for most dog breeds.
How about you, which of these dog sofa beds is your favorite? Share below!
Last update on 2023-12-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API