Loose dog hair can make the most experienced pet owners want to pull out their own hair. Honestly, it manages to get all over the place inside your home. It’ll be on your clothes, couches, blankets, pillows, and everywhere else. As a result, many pet lovers try to combat this problem by buying dog hair vacuums but get stuck with subpar options. So I created a guide to help you select one capable of controlling your furball’s shedding hair.
Start with a quick side-by-side comparison of my favorites, then read on for all of the details. FYI, this post includes affiliate links. If you buy anything through these links, DogVills earns a small commission at no extra cost to you.
5 Best Dog Hair Vacuums
Crafting a list of the best dog hair vacuums isn’t the easiest task. Any search on Amazon will pop up with a ton of available options. But after doing significant research, I’ve narrowed it down to what I feel are the absolute best (and ONLY the best) of the bunch. So let’s see if one of these vacuums can finally solve your dog hair issues.
1. Eufy Robot Vacuum Cleaner
Eufy’s Robot Vacuum Cleaner starts our list off with an impressive bang. Honestly, finding another robot vacuum with a better combo of suction power and low noise level is hard. Plus, it’s SUPER affordable!
- 2.85″ robot vacuum with anti-scratch top cover
- Built-in Infrared-sensor and drop-sensing tech
- Automatic recharging
- 1300Pa suction power and 0.6L dustpan
- Remote control (batteries included)
- Extra accessories include high-performance filters, four side brushes, and a cleaning tool
- Convenient slim, compact design
- Excellent dog hair cleaning abilities with a high suction power
- Simple to set up and use
- Perfect for skittish dogs with a quiet noise level
- Usable on most surfaces from hardwood to medium-pile carpets
- .Prone to getting stuck on cords
- No HEPA filter
DogVills editor Nicole uses the Eufy in her home. She says, “If you want a robot vacuum that won’t break the bank yet still really gets the job done, you can’t go wrong with the Eufy. The app takes some getting used to, and occasionally it gets lost or stuck under a bed, but it does the job just as well as the pricier options.”
Overall, this robot vacuum checks off everything that I could want in one. It offers an easy setup process, high-level suction power, low noise level, and a slim design. In fact, I had a hard time finding any significant flaw with it.
The only notable one was its inability to maneuver around electrical cords. So users will need to be careful about leaving cables around while the robot does its cleaning routine. But I can’t imagine this issue being a big deal for any buyer.
- Super-Slim RoboVac: Our slimmer RoboVac is only 2.85", operates quietly, and even has an increased suction power of 1300 Pa
- BoostIQ Technology: RoboVac automatically increases suction power within 1.5 seconds when extra vacuuming strength is needed for deep cleaning
- A Quiet Clean: Vacuums for up to 100 minutes** on hardwood floors with consistent, powerful suction at a volume no louder than an operating microwave
- Special Features: Equipped with an anti-scratch tempered glass-top cover for protection, an infrared-sensor for evading obstacles, and drop-sensing tech to avoid falls. RoboVac also automatically recharges so it's always ready to clean
- What You Get: RoboVac 11S, remote control (2 AAA batteries included), charging base, AC power adapter, cleaning tool, extra set of high-performance filters, 4 side brushes, 5 cable ties, welcome guide, and our worry-free 12-month warranty
2. Shark TruePet Upright Vacuum
Corded vacuums often get a reputation for being inconvenient. But the Shark TruePet Upright Vacuum isn’t a traditional corded option. Instead, it’s fitted with several features capable of making a pet owner’s life much easier while offering top performance. The product’s HEPA filter and various pet-related accessories alone were enough to catch my attention.
- 2-in-1 upright corded vacuum with detachable pod
- Bordeaux color scheme
- Uses a HEPA filter
- Fingertip controls for surface switching
- 0.88-quart dust cup
- LED headlights
- Extra accessories include an upholstery tool, crevice tool, and pet power brush
- Effortless to maneuver tight areas and corners
- Cleans both hard floors and carpets
- Top-tier dog hair control on all surfaces (upholstery tool and pet power brush)
- Ideal for pet owners with allergies (HEPA filter)
- Hassle-free dust cup removal
- .Heavier than other corded options
- A bit on the pricier side
All in all, this corded option should appeal to almost every dog owner. Its excellent control of shed hair with its upholstery tool and pet power brush is remarkable. Plus, it offers the ability to work on hard floors and carpets without issue.
My only concern with this model is it’s heavier at 15 pounds than other corded vacuums. But I wouldn’t worry too much about it as its maneuverability remains excellent. So the heavier construction shouldn’t be a massive problem. Still, it’s something to consider if you have back problems and need something super lightweight.
- 2-IN-1 POWERED LIFT-AWAY TECHNOLOGY: Allows you to lift the pod away to deep-clean hard-to-reach areas, like under furniture, while the powered brushroll keeps spinning.
- ADVANCED SWIVEL STEERING: Easily maneuver your vacuum to get in and out of tight spaces, in corners, around furniture, and more.
- ANTI-ALLERGEN COMPLETE SEAL: Works with a HEPA filter to trap 99.9% of dust and allergens inside the vacuum cleaner. (Based on ASTM F1977 of particles .3 microns or larger.)
- LARGE-CAPACITY DUST CUP: 0.88-quart capacity for longer cleaning sessions. Easily remove dust cup to empty debris in seconds.
- LED HEADLIGHTS: Powerful lights on the nozzle reveal hidden debris and pet hair around your home.
- MULTI-SURFACE CLEANING: Fingertip controls allow you to easily switch from Hard Floor to Carpet mode.
- PERFECT FOR PETS: Includes a self-cleaning Pet Power Brush, designed to remove pet hair and ground-in dirt from carpeted stairs and upholstery.
- UPHOLSTERY TOOL: Picks up pet hair and debris from curtains, lampshades, and other delicate fabrics, as well as shelves, tables, and walls.
- CREVICE TOOL: Access corners, baseboards, tight spaces, and ceilings for versatile cleaning.
- WHAT’S INCLUDED: Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet Upright Vacuum, Upholstery Tool, Pet Power Brush & Crevice Tool.
3. BLACK+DECKER AdvancedClean Cordless Handheld Vacuum
Dog owners would have difficulty finding a more impressive cordless vacuum than BLACK+DECKER’s AdvancedClean Cordless Handheld Vacuum. It provides excellent pet hair removal on various surfaces and does a solid job against dirt/debris. Meanwhile, it does all of these impressive aspects while having the most affordable price on our list.
- Cordless vacuum with rotating 180-degree nozzle
- 2.6 pounds
- Utilizes cyclonic suction action
- On-board extension
- Translucent dirt bowl
- Extra accessories include a flip-up brush and pull-out crevice tool
- Most affordable option
- Outstanding maneuverability within tight areas
- A strong performance against pet hair, dirt, and debris
- Usable on various surfaces (carpets, vehicle interiors, furniture, etc.)
- Comfortable to hold and use
- The battery requires frequent recharging.
- No HEPA filter, so it’s not ideal for people with allergies
- MULTI-SURFACE USE – Removes hair, dirt, and debris from carpets, car interiors, furniture, and high-traffic areas.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE – Easy to carry and maneuver, even in tight spaces. Has a charging base which cannot be mounted on a wall.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN – On-board extension means you won’t need to bend over as often.
- ROTATING SLIM NOZZLE – Nozzle rotates 180° to fit into tight spaces at different angles.
- PULL-OUT CREVICE TOOL – Accesses hard-to-reach areas like between couch cushions and on top of shelves.
- FLIP-UP BRUSH – Adds an extra layer of versatility for dusting and vacuuming upholstery.
- CYCLONIC ACTION – Spins dust and debris away from the filter, supplying consistently strong suction power.
- EASY-VIEW DIRT BOWL –Translucent, bagless dirt bowl empties easily for convenient debris disposal without having to touch the dirt.
- WASHABLE DIRT BOWL AND FILTER – Can be cleaned right in the sink.
- CORDLESS CLEANING – Powered by a lithium ion battery, this handheld vacuum is ideal for larger jobs requiring quick cleanup. NOTE: The instruction manual does reference mounting brackets and screws, but it is for a different (Model CHV1410L32)
The standout attributes of this vacuum will always be its affordable price and performance. But the benefits don’t stop there, as it also has a comfortable, easy-to-maneuver design. Users will no longer have to do gymnastics to clean those hard-to-reach areas.
However, this cordless vacuum does have one notable flaw. Its battery does require charging more than users often expect, which can be a little frustrating. But it doesn’t outweigh all the other positives about this device.
4. iRobot Roomba Wi-Fi Robot Vacuum
Convenience is the name of iRobot’s Roomba Wi-Fi Robot Vacuum game. It allows complete customization of cleaning times/schedules to ensure it can meet anyone’s needs. You can also expect high-level results from its top-tier suction power and cleaning system. Plus, users can control all of it with ease from an app or voice assistant like Alexa.
- Robot vacuum with Wi-Fi connectivity
- Uses PrecisionVision navigation and iRobot OS
- Customizable smart mapping
- 3-stage cleaning system with power-lifting suction
- Extra accessories included multi-surface rubber brushes and an edge-sweeping brush
- Compatible with Google Home or Alexa devices
- Compact, slim design
- Easy to set up and personalize cleaning times/schedule via the app so it can clean even when you’re away
- Top-tier performance via powerful suction
- Recognizes and easily avoids obstacles (pet waste, cords, shoes, etc.)
- Spot cleans messes on a moment’s notice
- .A higher-priced option, especially compared to the Eufy
- The app isn’t very user-friendly. One customer called it “a joke.”
The iRobot Roomba is a hard vacuum not to love with its spectacular features. I didn’t even mention its multi-surface brushes or ability to avoid obstacles without issue. As a result, it won’t have any trouble dealing with dog hair and keeping it down to a minimum.
But dog owners will have to pay a small fortune for these services. So it becomes a matter of deciding whether the convenience level and performance are worth it. In my case, it would be a resounding yes.
That said, given the choice between this one and the Eufy, I’d go with the Eufy.
- THE WORLD'S SMARTEST CLEANING ROBOTS JUST GOT SMARTER - IRobot OS powers your robot to clean the way you want it to. The Roomba j7 avoids objects in its way, it allows you to schedule multiple cleanings per day by continuously learning and adapting to your home.
- AVOIDS PET ACCIDENTS ON PURPOSE – WE GUARANTEE IT - Only IRobot brings you P.O.O.P. (Pet Owner Official Promise). You can rely on your Roomba j7 to avoid pet waste, or we’ll replace it for free. Additional terms and conditions apply – see IRobot for full details.
- NO NEED TO PICK UP BEFORE YOU CLEAN - The Roomba j7 robot vacuum uses IRobot OS Technology and PrecisionVision Navigation to recognize and avoid common objects in its way like cords, pet waste, socks and shoes. Picking up before you clean is now a thing of the past. Indoor Usage
- CLEANS WHEN AND WHERE YOU WANT– Only IRobot brings you Imprint Smart Mapping allowing you to control and schedule which rooms are cleaned and when, while storing multiple maps for easier cleaning on each level of your home. Plus customizable Keep Out Zones and Clean Zones allow you to tell them the exact area to avoid and clean.
- CLEANS THE WAY YOU WOULD - Based on your preferences, habits, home and the seasons, Roomba j7 uses IRobot OS to create personalized cleaning suggestions- like cleaning more frequently during pet-shedding or allergy seasons.
- ATTACKS MESSES USING OUR POWERFUL, PROPRIETARY CLEANING SYSTEM - Powerful 3-Stage Cleaning System packs 10x the Power-Lifting Suction, an Edge-Sweeping Brush gets along walls and corners, and patented Dual Multi-Surface Rubber Brushes flex to adjust to different floor types and don’t get tangled with pet hair. Compared to the Roomba 600 series cleaning system.
- IRobot does not certify the quality or authenticity of products purchased from non-authorized resellers, and will not cover claims, provide service or offer replacements for products purchased from these sellers.
- SPOT CLEANS MESSES THE MOMENT THEY HAPPEN WITHOUT HAVING TO CLEAN THE WHOLE HOUSE - A simple request to your voice assistant or via the IRobot Home App enables the Roomba j7 to clean messes for you, right when they happen. Works with Google Home and Alexa enabled devices. Alexa and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com or its affiliates. Google is a trademark of Google.
- SET TO AUTOMATICALLY CLEAN WHEN YOU'RE AWAY - Now with IRobot OS, you can choose to set your robot to automatically start cleaning when you leave and stop when you come home, so you only notice the clean and never the cleaning.
- DOESN'T GET HUNG UP. JUST GETS IT DONE. - A full suite of advanced sensors allow this robot to navigate under and around furniture, and along edges, while Cliff Detect keeps it from falling down the stairs.
5. BISSELL Pet Upright Bagless Vacuum
Our final choice, BISSELL’s Pet Upright Bagless Vacuum, isn’t the most advanced option. But its triple-action brush roll and scatter-free technology make it an ideal fit for dog owners. After all, it does an excellent job of picking up and controlling dog hair.
- Corded upright vacuum with a triple-action brush roll
- Utilizes scatter-free technology
- Swivel steering
- 1.0 L dirt cup capacity
- 27″ cord with automatic rewind
- Extra accessories include a pet hair corner tool and a pet turbo eraser tool
- Easy to maneuver and clean around obstacles
- Suitable for both hard floors and carpets
- Requires less emptying with a large dust cup capacity
- Simple and hassle-free to store
- Incredible at picking up deeply embedded dog hair
- Shorter cord than other models
- No HEPA filter
BISSELL did everyone a solid by building a corded vacuum that does its job without hassles. It’ll prevent dog hair from ruining our lives while keeping its dust cup emptying to a minimum. It even has an automatic cord rewind feature to make it more storable.
However, this corded vacuum isn’t perfect, as its 27″ cord is shorter than other models. So it can be a little problematic to manage in certain situations.
I also feel that they could have easily included a HEPA filter to add more value, but it’s not something that would deter me from buying this affordable upright vacuum. I’ve owned several similar models and was very happy with all of them.
Factors to Consider When Buying Dog Hair Vacuums
Honestly, I never thought choosing a dog hair vacuum would be so involved. But I’ve found several necessary considerations to consider before picking one. Otherwise, you could end up throwing the device across your home in frustration.
So let’s ensure this doesn’t happen by looking at these critical considerations at length. I’m confident that these discussions will help you find your perfect dog hair vacuum.
Dog hair vacuums aren’t a one-type-fits-all product. You’ll come across corded, cordless, and robot vacuums with varying design structures. So each buyer must decide what type best meshes with their preferences.
For instance, a corded vacuum provides a longer run time than a cordless one. It makes them a better fit for larger homes or multi-pet households. You can also expect them to offer much large dustbin capacities than their counterparts.
But cordless options are more convenient with battery operation and lower costs. So a single pet owner may see them as bargains for their needs. I certainly loved using them in my first apartment room when I only had one dog with me.
Meanwhile, robot vacuums are a whole different animal because they run daily. It allows the device to keep up with dog hair rather than clean it all up at once. But the noises are known to scare skittish dogs, making them a problematic fit in some homes. Some models’ expensive costs and complicated setup processes also don’t help.
I’ve never been a fan of moving around heavy vacuums. I can’t imagine anyone reading this article has been too fond of it, either. So I suggest ensuring your chosen vacuum’s construction isn’t overly heavy.
A good figure for corded vacuums would be around 15 pounds. Cordless vacuums will always be a little lighter, so anything under 10 pounds should be good. But make sure both types’ handles are comfortable and easy to maneuver.
You should also consider the construction weight and size of robot vacuums. A lighter and less cumbersome option may be more appealing to skittish dog owners. It could stop their dogs from being overly terrified of it. Sadly, it wasn’t the case with my permanently scared chihuahua.
Effectiveness and Quality
There’s nothing more disheartening than spending money on an ineffective device. But, unfortunately, it’s not different when purchasing vacuums meant for cleaning up dog hair. So it’s essential to do the necessary research on each model’s effectiveness and overall quality.
In particular, buyers will want to examine the suction power. This attribute will significantly impact how satisfied users will be with a vacuum’s performance. Thankfully, manufacturers make finding this info easy by putting it right in the product description.
Most brands will often display this info using air watts (AW). So look for the highest number possible, as it’ll mean the product offers a more impressive suction power. I’d recommend getting a model with at least 80 AW.
Another feature to look at is what filters each vacuum use. I’d suggest going with models that use HEPA filters when possible, especially for people with allergies. These options do a much better job of removing and trapping problematic substances while cleaning.
You’ll also want to look at the customer reviews as a resource. After all, your fellow buyers will be much more forthcoming about each model’s performance than manufacturers. So use their experiences to your advantage and avoid picking a lemon.
Dustbin Capacity and Removal
Dustbin capacity can get overlooked by customers during this buying process. However, it shouldn’t because dog hair takes up significant space in dustbins. So choosing a vacuum with a large dustbin is vital, especially when covering vast floor space.
If you don’t, using the vacuum could become inconvenient. You’ll have to empty it while cleaning rather than all at once. In fact, I wouldn’t advise settling for a vacuum with a dustbin capacity under 400 mL when cleaning homes with large floor spaces.
People with small apartments or homes shouldn’t concern themselves too much with dustbin capacity. Instead, I’d focus more on the dustbin removal process for these owners. It’s vital to ensure the process is easy to encourage effortless dumping after cleaning.
Vacuums are available to pet owners at various price tags. So pet owners will need to construct a budget based on their wanted features to help deal with this variation. For instance, a person who wants a corded or robot vacuum will need a higher budget than cordless buyers.
Another significant factor is how many attachments are built into the vacuum. In other words, options with various unique features, like tools for cleaning rugs/upholstery or crevice tools, have much higher price tags.
So you will need to factor these aspects into their budgets. Once you do, the budget can work wonders by lessening your available options to a less significant number. It’ll help make the entire buying experience much less stressful.
If I had to choose one of these five options, it’d be Eufy’s Robot Vacuum Cleaner. It’s ideally suited for my lazy personality while offering high-quality performance. I couldn’t ask for anything else from a dog hair vacuum.
Have you used any of these dog hair vacuums, or have your recommendations? Share your thoughts below!
Last update on 2023-03-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API