Need help choosing dog diapers for your senior pup? It’s a difficult situation that many owners find themselves in as their dog ages. But I intend to simplify it by showing you several top options. I’m confident one of these diapers will be perfectly suited to help your senior dog through this difficult time.
Use the table below for a quick side-by-side comparison, then keep reading for the full reviews. FYI, this post includes affiliate links. If you buy anything through them, DogVills will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Fur doesn't get stuck with fur-friendly fasteners
Dries messes instantly
Reusable, Eco-friendly design
Outstanding 6-hour leak protection
Durable, long-lasting fabric design
Content & Quick Navigation
5 Best Dog Diapers for Senior Pups
Searching for dog diapers on Amazon is an absolute nightmare for pet owners. After all, the number of options can be overwhelming, even for experienced dog parents. So I narrowed my list to five choices that’ll offer your dog comfort and support. Let’s see what makes these diapers such fantastic products.
1. Out! Pet Care Disposable Male Dog Diapers
Disposable belly band diapers don’t get better than Out! ‘s Pet Care Disposable Male Dog Diapers. These offer a channeled core design to ensure a comfortable fit. Plus, they provide excellent leak protection and odor control to maintain your senior dog’s nastiest messes.
- Two sizes and three buying quantities
- Belly wrap built for male dogs
- Channeled core fit design
- Embedded with odor-controlling baking soda
- Sure Seal Technology for leak protection
- Moisture-wicking system featuring absorbent edges
- Comfortable, adjustable fit
- Easy to put onto dogs
- Maintains messes with leak protection
- Excellent odor control
- Fur doesn’t get stuck with fur-friendly fasteners
- Some customers reported packaging issues
It’s easy to get lost in this option’s top-tier fit, odor control, and leak protection. But these areas aren’t the only ones where it excels. It’s also easy to use with its fur-friendly fasteners while offering various buying quantities that can meet almost every dog owner’s needs.
My one concern was a few customers mentioned packaging issues. But none were overly egregious to where I’d let them affect my final decision.
- SMALL MALE DOGS: Designed for small/extra small male dogs, these disposable male dog diapers provide a perfect fit for your four-legged friend; whether you have a pup or a small dog, these small dog...
- COMFORT-FLEX FIT: With a Comfort-Flex fit and channeled core design, these male dog wraps are perfect for your active dog; the flexible design allows for comfortable movement and improved absorbency,...
- SURE SEAL TECHNOLOGY: Say goodbye to leaks and messes with the leak-proof fit of these doggie diapers; designed to provide added comfort and peace of mind, these disposable belly bands for male dogs...
- EDGE GUARD: Our male puppy diapers are made with extra absorbent edges, protecting against unwanted leakage; also made with moisture-wicking technology, our dog diapers keep your dog feeling fresh and...
- 2X ODOR CONTROL: Keep your home smelling fresh with these odor-neutralizing male dog diapers featuring added baking soda for 2x odor neutralizing power; ditch unpleasant smells and enjoy a fresh,...
2. Paw Inspired Disposable Female Dog Diapers
Anyone with a senior female pup should consider Paw Inspired’s Disposable Female Dog Diapers. These full-coverage diapers are convenient, leak-proof godsends for dog owners. Your dogs won’t hate their breathable design as much as other diapers, either.
- Six buying options
- Full coverage design for female dogs
- Advanced DrySpeed Technology
- Leak-proof edges
- Fur-resistant, adjustable fasteners
- Secure fit with top-tier breathability
- Dries messes instantly
- Suitable for female dogs of all ages and sizes
- Effortlessly prevents leaks
- Convenient to use and dispose
- Isn’t effective at maintaining poop with some dogs (tail hole)
Overall, Paw Inspired did a great job creating a diaper to help deal with urinary incontinence. Its breathable and super absorbent design gets the job done. It even manages to keep the messes from seeping out with its leak-proof edges.
But some senior pups with poop-related issues could bypass these diapers easily. A tail hole within its design allows certain breeds to go number two unrestricted.
- - BEST DOG DIAPERS on the market, please check the sizing chart in the product images section to assure suitable sizing so diapers stay on and stay put.
- - LEAK PROOF dog diapers, super absorbent core, comfortable, secure fit, breathable bottom layers, and gathered leak proof edges.
- - DISPOSABLE dog diapers with repositionable fur resistant fasteners and Advanced DrySpeed Technology that instantly converts urine into gel.
- - MANY USES and applications: from puppy diapers, adult dog diapers, to dog diapers for older dogs these Dog diapers help with issues like training, incontinence, and period - menstrual Hygiene. Also...
- - BEST FOR FEMALE - girl dogs and urinary incontinence. If you measure your pet properly and choose the corresponding size, these diapers will fit many dog breeds including challenging body shapes...
3. Wegreeco Washable Belly Band Diapers
The Wegreeco Washable Belly Band Diapers are great options for senior male dogs. You can rely on them to be highly absorbent and easy to clean. This combo isn’t one dog owners should overlook, especially at this price tag.
- Six sizes and seven color options
- Belly band design for male dogs
- Soft inner jersey material
- Leak-proof outer layer
- Sewn-in absorbent pad
- Easy to clean (hand wash only)
- Super absorbent
- Comfortable, crinkly-free texture
- Reusable, Eco-friendly design
- Suitable for other animals (cats, farm animals, etc.)
- Not machine washable (velcro weakens over time)
There’s a lot to love about these convenient diapers from Wegreeco. Anyone with a senior male dog suffering from urine incontinence would value this 3-pack greatly. Their dogs will also love them because they offer a soft, crinkly-free texture.
But it’s worth noting that these diapers aren’t machine washable. Some customers noted machine washing them caused the velcro to weaken with repeated cycles.
- DOG DIAPERS SMALL - Great for small dogs and puppies, waist size 11" to 14". Please measure your dog's waist right in front of the back legs to make a better fit.
- NO WORRY LEAKAGE - The quickly absorbent pad is sewn into the diaper and has a leak-free outer layer to keep rugs, carpets, upholstered chairs and sofas dry. Leakage free.
- SOFT & COMFORTABLE DIAPERS - We only choose comfortable materials for our dog wraps.The soft jersey inner wicks moisture away and keeps your dog drier during prolonged use. No "crinkly" or...
- IMPROVING LANDFILL WASTE - By switching to washable dog diapers, wiithin 2 months they will pay for themselves and you will no longer need to purchase disposable diapers which will end up in a...
- GUARDIAN ANGEL OF YOUR DOG - The diapers are useful for untrained puppies, males spot marking, and stop your dog suffering from excitement urination or incontinence.They are precious gifts to...
4. Hartz Disposable Full Coverage Diapers
Hartz’s Disposable Full Coverage Diapers have the unique distinction of being usable for senior female and male dogs. Their full coverage design adapts seamlessly for both genders without sacrificing performance. So what else could a dog owner want?
- Five sizes
- Full coverage design
- Absorbent core uses FlashDry technology
- Velcro tabs
- Adjustable tail hole
- Usable for males and females
- Outstanding 6-hour leak protection
- Easy to find a perfect fit with velcro tabs
- Breathable design with no slippage or fur sticking
- Tail hole fits any tail shape or size
- A higher-priced option for disposable diapers
The versatility to work for both male and female dogs is quite impressive. However, I found the 6-hour leak protection and breathable design even more appealing. Hartz did an outstanding job crafting diapers that every senior dog owner would find helpful.
Sadly, these disposable diapers are a little more expensive than I expected. So potential customers will have to evaluate where its performance is worth the extra cash.
- 6 HOUR LEAK PROTECTION: Highly absorbent core with FlashDry technology, which instantly turns urine into GEL.
- MANY WAYS TO USE: Ideal for dogs who suffer from incontinence, puppy training, for females in heat, surgery recovery, excitable urination, and for travel.
- CUSTOMIZABLE FIT: Adjustable & repositionable velcro tabs work just like a baby diaper to customize fit without sticking to fur or irritate dogs' skin.
- MAXIMUM COMFORT: Easy to put on, specialized design provides a breathable fit without slipping or bunching.
- ADJUSTABLE TAIL HOLE: The adjustable tail hole easily accommodates all tail shapes and sizes..DIAPERS vs. MALE WRAPS: Diapers accommodate both feces and urine. Male wraps are made only for male dogs...
5. Pet Soft Washable Female Diapers
Our final option, Pet Soft Washable Female Diapers, will be hard for senior female dog owners to pass up. These reusable diapers are practical, Eco-friendly godsends that’ll keep your dog comfortable by not restricting their movement.
- Two patterns and four sizes
- Reusable diapers for females
- Made with high-quality fabric
- Absorbent inner pads
- Waterproof pocketed waistband
- Elastic tail hole
- Effortlessly adjusts to fit
- Durable, long-lasting fabric design
- Easy to clean (hand wash)
- Provides unrestricted movement
- Solid prevention against leaks
- Adorable pattern options
- Sizing is a little tricky (be careful)
Aside from their practicality, it’s hard not to love the easy adjustment and leak prevention. These qualities further showcase this option as a top choice for senior female dogs. Finding a customer with a bad thing to say about these diapers was challenging.
My only gripe would be the sizing is a little hard to follow. So please pay close attention to the size chart. If you don’t, you may make a mistake like some other buyers.
- 🌼 [Pet Soft Washable Female Dog Diapers Medium] Waist 14-19”, best for medium dogs; Pet Soft reusable girl dog diapers are specifically designed for small to medium female dogs;
- 🌼 [3 Beautiful Counts Per Package] Each with 3 flowers patterns perfect for homes with multiple pets; more pieces for accident; washable dog diapers environmentally friendly and economical;
- 🌼[New Waterproof Waistband] New Design on reusable female dog diapers double safety against leaks when the dog is lying down
- 🌼[Reusable & Strong] Well-tailored by durable and quality fabric, these female puppy diapers can stand up frequent washing and everyday use; wider magic tape allow dogs moving freely and not easy...
- 🌼 [Quick Absorb & Leak-Proof]：With super absorbed inner pads girl dog diapers perfect for untrained or incontinent puppies or dogs in heat/continent; elastic waist prevents leaking and possible...
- 🌼 [After Service] XS, S, M, L, XL you will find what you need; choosing Pet Soft washable female dog diapers, 30 days after service, any question please feel free to contact us; Pet Soft is always...
Reasons Why A Senior Pup Needs Diapers
Several scenarios exist where a senior pup may need to wear diapers. I think it’s essential for you to understand them before looking at the crucial buying factors. After all, these discussions provide insight into why diapers are or aren’t a suitable option for your senior pup.
Urinary incontinence is the most common medical condition that may require diapers. It refers to a pet who can’t control its bladder anymore. Many dogs develop these issues as they get deep into their teen years.
The condition is usually caused by physical issues like a UTI or bladder problems. Owners who suspect their dog’s suffering from incontinence should schedule a vet visit immediately.
If a physical problem causes incontinence, diapers will be the next step. Your senior pup will then have to wear them every day of their life.
Anxiety is a somewhat overlooked reason why a senior dog may need diapers. Dogs who suffer from anxiety can often struggle with controlling their bladders. As a result, it’s not uncommon to return home to a nasty puddle on your living room floor.
Some anxious issues even take it a step further by causing stress poops. Thankfully, these situations are rare and only occur when an anxious dog gets extremely upset.
Dog owners tend to overlook signs of anxiety, especially separation anxiety. So it’s essential to discuss with a vet if your dog exhibits any anxious signs. Some common examples include excessive panting, tail between the legs, and howling.
Other Notable Medical Conditions
It’s inconvenient to list all the conditions that use diapers for treatment. But the headliners are infections, cancer, and various traumatic injuries. All of these situations will require using diapers for an extended or permanent period.
What to Consider When Buying Dog Diapers For Senior Pups
Sadly, buying dog diapers for senior pups isn’t an effortless task. Choosing a suitable option requires a review of several crucial factors. But there’s no need to worry as I break down each in great detail within these following sections.
Diaper size should be the first concern in a dog owner’s mind. After all, choosing diapers that offer your senior pup comfort and security is essential. But there must be a balance between these two components. In other words, you don’t want a diaper to be too tight or loose.
Instead, you want a diaper that remains attached while being comfortable. An easy way to find these elusive diapers is by knowing our dog’s weight and waist size. You can then match these measurements to the ones provided in each option’s size chart.
Dog diapers are available in a variety of types. But most of them fall into two main categories: belly bands and full coverage diapers. I’m not covering disposal vs. washable diapers; I’ll cover this topic in the next section.
In any case, choosing between belly bands and full-coverage diapers isn’t too tricky. So let’s start with belly bands to see whether they’re a good fit for a senior dog.
Dog Belly Bands
Dog belly bands are known for having lightweight designs. It allows them to offer higher comfort and security around a dog’s waist. But female dogs can’t use belly bands as their design only works for male pups.
So, belly bands are a perfect fit if you have a male dog with bladder issues. These choices will provide an ideal amount of comfort while offering excellent security.
Full Coverage Dog Diapers
Full coverage dog diapers are known for their resemblance to human diapers. In other words, these options are probably what you first pictured when hearing “dog diapers.” These options will provide full coverage, hence the name, and come with a tail-hole.
Given this info, anyone with a female dog will need full coverage diapers. These options are also a solution for a male dog with fecal incontinence. So full coverage options are a bit more versatile than belly bands.
Material (Washable or Disposable)
As I mentioned, buyers will have to pick between washable and disposable diapers. Many dog owners prefer washable options because you can reuse them. It creates a much more timely approach to helping your senior dog relieve themselves.
I also have to mention that washable diapers are more eco-friendly and cost-effective. These qualities make them better suited for long-term use. Meanwhile, disposable diapers are ideal for short-term needs and provide a less high initial price.
Your Dog’s Activity Level
Considering your senior dog’s activity level might seem a little weird. However, some older pups still motor pretty quickly around the house. So it becomes essential to choose a diaper that doesn’t hinder their daily movements too much.
Many people with highly active senior pups decide to use suspenders for their diapers. Doing so allows the diaper to attach to a harness without being too tight. It is another way to help improve your dog’s comfort level.
If I were making a decision right now, I’d have to suggest buying Hartz’s Disposable Full Coverage Diapers. Truthfully, you can’t argue against their results and versatility. I only wish they were a little less costly.
Have you tried any of these dog diapers for your senior pup? Share your thoughts & experiences below!