Can we really use dog beds to reduce anxiety?
I know, it’s a strange idea, but it makes sense if you think about it!
We humans have all sorts of soothing blankets, pillows and more, so why not an anti-anxiety dog bed?
Today, we’ll talk about what to look for in one, then we’ll check out my top five picks!
Related: Casper dog bed review: Is it worth it?
What to Look for in an Anti-Anxiety Dog Bed
- For the most part, they all have a “cuddler” style to them. In other words, your dog sinks right into the bed.
- They also use super plush materials like faux fur or Sherpa.
- Each bed also engulfs and surrounds your dog in one way or another.
So, what can we deduce from these features?
Basically, the best anti-anxiety dog bed is one that surrounds your dog in a sea of plush goodness & makes him feel more secure.
If you look at the dogs in the product pictures, they sure look totally blissed out! Do they really work, though?
Related: Best dog bed for Pitbulls
Do anti-anxiety dog beds really work?
The answer totally depends on what’s causing your dog’s anxiety!
If your pooch gets a bit upset when you leave for work and needs a little help calming down, then yes, an anti-anxiety dog bed might do the trick.
Likewise, if Rex tends to get overwhelmed easily by the hustle and bustle of your everyday family life, a well-placed soothing bed could give him a peaceful escape.
On the other hand, if Fido is positively petrified of everything that moves and has extreme anxiety, a bed alone won’t do the trick.
However, it can be a great part of your overall treatment regimen!
It’s just important to manage your expectations. Don’t buy a dog bed to reduce anxiety and expect it to work magic all on its own.
That said, these awesome beds below are great even if your dog doesn’t have major anxiety issues, so you have nothing to lose by trying them out!
Best Dog Beds to Reduce Anxiety
As always, check out the table below for a quick look at my favorite dog beds to reduce anxiety, then read on for more details.
FYI: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
1. Best Friends by Sheri Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler Review
I’ve been looking for a way to fit the Best Friend’s by Sheri bed into a dog bed buying guide ever since I laid eyes on it!
Seriously, I am madly in love with it and kind of want one for myself! It’s definitely my #1 pick for the dog beds to reduce anxiety!
Features & Pros
- The round donut shape helps support better sleep, especially for dogs who like to curl up.
- Raised rim gives dogs an added sense of security while also supporting their head and neck.
- Plush filling along the rim is soft and soothing on aching joints & muscles.
- As the name implies, every part of the bed is made with vegan materials.
- Comes with removable zippered shell with three zippers to make it easier to deal with.
- However, if you don’t want zippers, you can get it without!
- Shell is water and dirt-resistant, and the whole thing is machine-washable.
- Not suitable for puppies or other chewers (honestly, none of the beds on this list are)
- The zipper-free version only comes in one size.
- Not very supportive in the middle (it’s like a donut, nearly flat in the center).
- It’s not at all odor-resistant.
As much as I love this bed with a fiery passion, my dog can’t have it because she’ll eat it.
She’s finally stopped chewing everything in sight but the plush material will just be too tempting.
However, if your dog isn’t destructive, this is definitely my favorite anti-anxiety dog bed!
It’s not only super plush & comfy, but very stylish as well!
If you’ve seen Absolut pet bed reviews and wished you could find something similar on Amazon, this is the one you want.
- CALMING DOG BED SUPPORTS BETTER SLEEP: Thanks to its round shape, our high-quality Donut Cuddler cat and dog bed is ideal for pets who love to curl up. The raised rim creates a sense of security and provides head and neck support, while the super soft filling offers joint and muscle pain relief.
- SUPERIOR COMFORT: Cozy, flexible, and finished with vegan faux shag fur, our warming luxury dog bed is reminiscent of a mother’s fur coat. Paired with deep crevices that allow your pet to burrow, animals will have full, restful sleep for improved behavior and better health. The uniquely designed CoziLoft fibers keep their loft for up to 3Xs longer than standard pet beds.
- VERSATILE DESIGN and MAINTENANCE: Available in beautifully natural colors, our cat and dog donut beds are a seamless addition to any room’s décor Finished with water and dirt-resistant bottoms, accidental messes will be prevented from reaching your floors. Removable shells available on size M-2XL beds are machine washable. The entirety of the small-sized bed is machine washable. (Do not leave bed to air dry, as this may lead to tangling and matting of the faux fur).
- PET-SAFE MATERIALS: Tested through Consumer Product Safety Commission certified labs to ensure safety for you and your pets. Free from: flame retardants, formaldehyde, skin irritating chemicals, harsh dyes.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Designed and shipped from Los Angeles, CA, our local customer service is only a phone call or email away to address any concerns and questions to ensure you and your pets are happy with your purchase.
2. FuzzBall Fluffy Luxe Pet Bed Review
It’s easy to see where the FuzzBall anti-anxiety dog bed gets its name! It looks just like a giant cotton ball, doesn’t it?
Features & Pros
- Donut shape gives dogs that added sense of security during naptime.
- Anti-slip silicone on the bottom keeps it from sliding around.
- Water-resistant base fabric protects your floors from mild accidents.
- The whole bed is machine-washable (put it in the dryer after to prevent matting).
- 100% no-questions-asked money-back guarantee.
- Company is US-based and adheres to strict safety standards.
- Only comes in one size (Medium) and only fits dogs up to 45lbs.
- Like the bed above, the center isn’t very supportive due to the shape.
- Only the base layer is waterproof, so accidents will still seep into the bed (just not through to your floor).
- Cover isn’t removable so if it gets ruined you have to buy a whole new bed.
If you have a medium-sized dog up to 45lbs who doesn’t chew this is a good budget-friendly option.
While I like that the whole thing can just be thrown in the wash, I do wish that it came with a removable cover, though.
- 🐾 PERFECT FOR MEDIUM DOGS: Comfortable, fluffy and luxurious pet bed to give your best dog or cat friend the ultimate zzz’s. Round donut shape helps soothe anxiety and provide a cozy, calming space for your pet to relax! 30” x 30” for pets up to 45lbs.
- 🐾 EASY CARE: Machine washable for no headache cleanliness! No zippers to fuss with, just throw whole bed in the machine and voila, no more stinky play-in-the-mud pup smell! (To prevent matting, please be sure to dry the bed in the DRYER immediately after washing. Do not air dry!)
- 🐾 USEFUL: Bottom fabric has anti-slip silicone grips to help keep the bed stationary. This fabric is also waterproof to help keep your floors or kennel clean in case your fluffball has a mid-snooze accident!
- 🐾 SAFE & TRUSTED: We focus on quality and safety, strictly adhering to product testing requirements. Most pet products do NOT pass these rigorous tests, but ours DO!
- 🐾 GUARANTEED: Try the Fluffy Luxe Pet Bed with NO risk and 100% money back guarantee – No questions asked!
3. Snoozer Luxury Cozy Cave Pet Bed Review
The Snoozer Cave bed is a bit different from the ones we’ve seen so far because it totally envelops your dog (sans head) in a cozy cave.
Features & Pros
- Cave style gives dogs a hideaway and makes them feel totally secure.
- Made with microsuede on the outside and soft Sherpa inside.
- Pillow is filled with a polyester/cedar combo to reduce odors.
- Cover is machine-washable.
- Comes in 30+ different colors & styles and three sizes
- Orthopedic foam base adds more support than donut-style beds.
- The opening is a bit small and tight, which could discourage dogs from using it.
- You have to remove the tube that props the opening up for cleaning and it’s a bit tricky.
- Sherpa can get a bit hot in the warmer months, making this better for cooler times of the year.
- Not water-, odor- or chew-resistant
I am seriously considering this one for my dog since she loves to sleep under blankets (and sometimes even under couch cushions).
It’s bigger than it looks! The large is definitely big enough for a lab or Shepherd.
I love that it comes in so many styles & colors, too. While that doesn’t do much for the bed itself, it’s nice to have options that match your decor.
- Microsuede exterior, Sherpa interior
- Machine-washable luxury microsuede cover
- Poly/cedar filled inner pillow with zipper
- Extra deep sleep surface
- Rust-proof brass zipper, Available in a variety of fabric options
- X-Large: 45 in. Diameter x 4 in. Sidewall – Hood Height: Approximately 8 in. tall
4. Bagel Pet Dog Bed By Majestic Pet Products Review
The Bagel Dog Bed by Majestic Pet Products is similar to the first two on this list but with a key difference: no fuzz.
Features & Pros
- Provides the secure feeling of a cuddler-style bed without all the added fluff.
- Base is made with waterproof fabric to keep accidents from seeping through to your floor.
- Stuffing is a High Loft Polyester Fiber Fil
- Entire bed is machine washable
- Comes in 4 sizes all the way up to XL for 71+ lb dogs and 7 different colors.
- Made in the USA
- Like other donut beds, the inner part has very little stuffing.
- No removable cover, so if things go awry when you wash it, the whole bed is ruined.
- Material tends to attract dog hair, so it gets dirty fairly quickly.
- Measurements refer to the entire bed and not the inner sleep area, so it may be smaller than you’re expecting.
While I kind of like the fuzzy beds a bit better, I think my dog would be less likely to chew this one because it doesn’t look like a giant plush toy.
I like that it comes in sizes up to XL and the color choices are nice. I also like that it’s made in the USA.
- 52-inch Black Bagel Pet Dog Bed
- Base made of waterproof 300/600 Denier
- Stuffed with a Premium High Loft Polyester Fiber Fil, Machine washable
- Made in the USA
- Outside Dimensions-52-inch by 36-inch Inside Dimensions-46-inch by 30-inch Bolster 14-inch high,Cushion 10-inch high
5. Canine Coddler The Original Dog Anti-Anxiety Blanket Wrap Review
I know the Canine Coddler isn’t exactly a bed but bear with me because it’s still fantastic for dogs with anxiety.
Features & Pros
- The patent-pending weighted blanket is veterinarian approved to apply gentle pressure to help ease anxiety in dogs.
- Comes in one size that’s large enough for most dogs.
- Available in two weights (5lbs and 7lbs).
- Easier to use than a Thundershirt or other anxiety sweater for dogs.
- Cover is removable & washable
- A portion of the sales to towards helping needy families pay for vet bills.
- Not ideal for very small dogs (usually the opposite is true, but the 5lb weight may be too heavy for small breeds).
- It’s only really ideal for dogs who actually like sleeping under blankets.
- A smidge pricey compared to weighted blankets for people (it’s cheaper than some, though)
Numerous studies have shown benefits of weighted blankets for humans, so it makes sense that they’d also benefit dogs with anxiety.
While it’s not exactly a bed, you can easily fold it up to create a fluffier surface.
Just keep in mind, if your dog doesn’t really like blankets in general, he’s not going to like this one.
My dog loves sleeping under blankets. In fact, she likes MY weighted blanket, so I know she’d use this one!
- ★The Canine Coddler weighted blanket is a pet blanket that applies gentle constant pressure that can calm fear and over excitement in dogs. Our weighted blanket can help promote relaxation and can help your dog or puppy regain its composure and stay mellow. Great for rescue dogs. A portion of all Canine Coddler sales go to help unprivileged families pay vet bills
- ★ 36" x 48" in size, dark grey in color and extremely easy to use with a removable machine washable cover. The covers is made of a carefully selected material for ultimate comfort.
- ★ Blanket comes in 2 different weights. One size carefully created for small/med size dogs which weighs approximately 5lbs, and one specifically designed for dogs over 50 lbs which weighs approximately 7 lbs. Great for helping calm dogs in stressful situations such as thunderstorms, car rides, barking and restless sleep to name a few.
- ★ Weighted blankets have been used for years to help humans, we have found this works well on dogs and even cats to help promote relaxation.
- ★100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: If there is any manufacturer defects in your Canine Coddler then we will refund your money. Our world class Canine Coddler customer service wants you to be satisfied with your purchase. Absolutely no risk. The blanket comes with our 100% satisfaction guarantee. Get a blanket for your furry loved ones TODAY.
While these are all great anti-anxiety dog bed picks, I prefer the Best Friends by Sheri bed just a bit more than the others!
It’s stylish, comfy, made with great materials and created by a single mom (I’m also one so I like to support others like me).
That said, I would probably buy my dog the cave-style one just because she’d be less likely to eat it.
The blanket is a great add-on to any of the beds as well as a good option for traveling!
What do you think? What are your picks for the best dog beds to reduce anxiety? Share below!
Last update on 2022-10-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API