Choosing the best dog beds for pit bulls isn’t quite as easy as buying, say, a French Bulldog bed.
Still, it’s not terribly complicated if you know what to keep in mind during your search.
Below, we’ll talk about the top features in the right beds for pits.
Then, I’ll share ten fantastic recommendations with you that I think you’ll love!
Our Top Pick
If you just want to grab our top pick now and skip the rest, go with the Kuranda!
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Features of the Best Dog Beds for Pit Bulls
Pits have a totally unearned rep for being aggressive and mean.
Totally not true. I’ve never met a mean one in my life! In fact, I’ve gotten nastier bites from teacup poodles (don’t ask).
Still, why they’re not aggressive in general, they DO tend to be aggressive chewers.
Pits are also prone to skin problems and, later in life, joint issues.
So, we’ll keep those things in mind as we go over the top three questions to ask yourself while shopping for your pit’s bed.
How indestructible is it?
Not all pits chew everything to shreds.
Case in point, my friend had a pit that treated his toys, blankets, and even bed like they were delicate treasures!
My own pit (who heartbreakingly is not with me anymore) only chewed her dog toys. Never laid a tooth on anything that didn’t belong to her.
Unfortunately, though, many pits are destructive chewers. One friend joked that hers could chew through concrete if allowed to do so.
If your pit happens to fall into the hardcore chewer category, you’ll need a hardcore indestructible bed.
Sadly, that doesn’t exist. However, our top choice (and one other below) is as close as you can get.
Other options vary in their indestructibility, so pay attention to the pros and cons.
Is it gentle enough for my pit’s skin?
Pits are incredibly prone to skin problems ranging from mild hot spots to full-on hair-loss and constant itchiness.
While I’ve known pits who don’t chew, I’ve yet to meet one that didn’t have some degree of atopic dermatitis at least some part of the year.
How does this factor into choosing the right bed? In two ways, actually.
- First, you want to choose something with fabric that’s gentle
- Second, you’ll need something washable, especially during heavy allergen season.
How supportive is it?
Did you know that nearly a quarter of all pit bulls suffer from hip problems at some point in their lives?
Like most medium to large breeds, many older pits also have to deal with arthritis.
You don’t have to wait until your pit bull is a senior to shop for an orthopedic dog bed.
In fact, the earlier you grab one, the better. He needs support throughout his whole life to help stave off complications later.
Other tips for choosing a good pit bull dog bed include:
- Budget vs value- if you can splurge on a better bed, you’ll save money in the long run.
- If you’re splurging, shop for the dog he’ll become, not the puppy that he is. They grow fast!
- Pits love being with their family, so get something that fits into the room you spend the most time in.
Now that we know what to look for, let’s check out a few of my favorite options.
Just to reiterate in case you missed it above, this post does contain affiliate links. We’ll earn a small commission if you buy through them.
Best Dog Beds for Pit Bulls
As always, use the table below for a quick peek at the beds, then read on for more details.
I’ve also included a second table down above #7 for beds that aren’t on Amazon (well, one is, but the first table only holds 6).
1. Kuranda All-Aluminum Dog Bed
Unless something better comes along one day, the Kuranda will always be my top pick when indestructibility is a factor.
It’s literally the strongest bed on the market (as far as all of my research has shown, at least).
Don’t let the cot-style fool you, it’s also incredibly orthopedic.
Elevated beds like this help evenly distribute your dog’s body weight and keep pressure off his joints.
Features & Pros
- Chew-proof frame made with the type of aluminum used in planes.
- Supports up to 250 lbs no matter what size you get
- Elevated design is cooling and orthopedic
- Heavy duty vinyl hammock
- No stuffing
- Super easy to clean.
- Several colors
- Hard to assemble
- Short warranty (1 year)
This one is 100% my top pick for the best dog bed for a pit bull puppy all the way to senior.
I’ve put together similar beds. It’s not THAT big of a nightmare (and I’m horrific at putting things together.
Just make sure you’re getting the all-aluminum with heavy duty vinyl.
The other models are inaccurately titled on Amazon. They’re NOT chew-proof.
Take a look at our complete Kuranda dog bed review for more details.
2. K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed
The K9 Ballistics comes in at a very close second when considering the chew-proof factor.
In fact, if not for the even paltrier warranty, it would be solidly tied for 1st place.
Features & Pros
- Like Kuranda, it’s one of the most popular chew-proof beds
- Strong RIPSTOP fabric
- All Aluminum frame
- Easy to clean, just hose it down.
- Elevated design
- Waterproof frame and cot
- Several colors as well as designs
- Arrives assembled
- Less than fantastic warranty (only 180 days on the fabric)
- Some complaints about the corners not being as durable
The warranty irks me, true, but overall this is still a solid option for chewers.
If need be, you can even put it in a crate (although some say it’s easier said than done).
One thing I do love, though, is that it arrives assembled. It didn’t used to, and a lot of people complained that it was hard to put together.
This shows me that K9 Ballistics genuinely cares about the total customer experience and pays attention to feedback.
Read the full review K9 Ballistics “Cujo Cot” review for more details.
- Chew Proof Dog Bed: For dogs who persistently chew their beds, and who've turned lesser dog beds into a pile of rags. Not just chew resistant, this dog bed is an indestructible dog bed.
- Chew Resistant Dog Bed: This elevated dog bed resists all destructive dog habits such as chewing, biting, scratching, digging, and nesting. This is due in part to the full aluminum dog bed design, and also to the ripstop ballistic fabric used for the bed.
- Crate Dog Bed: Designed to fit in all standard size dog crates. This crate dog bed fits snuggly (not tight) without any gaps. This helps keep your dog safe in his crate, and also helps prevent damage a dog's attempts to damage the crate dog bed.
- 120 Day Chew Proof Armored Warranty - If your dog chews through or damages any part of their bed within 120 days of receiving it, we will replace the damaged component(s) once free of charge.
3. BarkBox Memory Foam Platform Dog Bed
If you can get away with not buying a chew-proof bed, the BarkBox Memory Foam dog bed is a really fantastic and affordable option.
Features & Pros
- Very inexpensive
- 4 sizes and colors
- Ergonomic and gel memory foam for added comfort
- Lush exterior that’s gentle on skin
- Machine-washable cover and top fleece layer
- 1-year warranty
- Fun toy surprise in package
- Not chew proof
- Not waterproof
- No replacement covers
- Takes some time to fully fluff up
- Runs small, so buy a size bigger
On a whole, the vast majority of users have nothing but good things to say about this one.
In fact, 70% of the 3,450 ratings are 5-stars! That alone should tell you something.
I love that it’s so affordable. Not everyone has $100+ to drop on a dog bed, after all.
The biggest issues is, of course, that it’s not even remotely chew-resistant. So I’d only recommend it for pits who aren’t chewers.
- Perfect Size for Your Pup: Our medium platform dog bed is 29” x 18” x 3" and comfortably fits breeds like Pug, Boston Terrier, Shih Tzu, Dachshund, and other similarly sized dogs up to 40 lbs.
- High-Quality Comfort: The therapeutic cooling gel memory foam comforts your dog by relieving body aches, joint pain, hip dysplasia, and arthritis.
- Water-Resistant & Machine-Washable Cover: Keep your dog’s bed looking and smelling fresh and clean. The water-resistant, zippered cover slides off seamlessly for convenient clean!
- The Modern Mattress Bed: This fabulous platform mattress bed will quickly become your pup’s favorite. With both therapeutic and cooling memory foam, this bed is easy to step into and even easier to fall asleep on. And, every bed comes with a free toy and some BARK magic, so your pup is bound to love it. Just make sure to give the mattress up to 72 hours to fully expand.
- 100% Happiness: From the makers of BarkBox, this bed and all of our other products are made by dog people to make dogs and their people the happiest they can be. And with U.S.-based customer support, we’re always here to help.
4. K9 Ballistics Tough Orthopedic Dog Bed Rectangle
Chew-proof mattress and pillow-style dog beds don’t exist. Period.
That said, K9 Ballistics’s Tough Orthopedic rectangle bed comes as close as possible.
Features & Pros
- Multiple sizes and 15 different colors
- Made with skin-safe CertiPUR-US foam
- Chew and dig resistant
- RIPSTOP Ballistic cover is more durable than most pillow bed covers
- Removable and machine washable cover
- 120 Day warranty on the cover (for a 1-time replacement)
- Made in the USA
- Not totally chew-proof
- Warranty only on cover, not foam inside
- Foam isn’t as thick as other orthopedic beds
I’d recommend this one for pits who either don’t chew or only do so occasionally (and don’t get carried away with it when they do).
It’s a good orthopedic bed for a young pit, but not quite thick enough for older dogs with major joint problems.
It’s a bit pricey, especially coming in on our list after the inexpensive Bark Box bed.
Still, it’s a worthwhile splurge if you need something a little stronger than Bark’s option.
5. The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed
Let’s move away from the indestructible beds for a moment and focus more on your pit’s orthopedic needs.
The Dog’s Bed by The Dog’s Balls (that name always cracks me up) may not survive an aggressive chewer, but it has some other wonderful features.
Features & Pros
- 4″ to 6″ thick memory foam, depending on the size.
- Cover is waterproof
- Comes with waterproof mattress protector
- Therapeutic enough for dogs with joint problems
- Several colors and sizes
- You can buy replacement covers if needed
- Not chew proof
- Cover really isn’t all that durable (and replacements are pricey)
- Color options are for trim only, not the whole bed.
Given that 77% of the 1,660+ ratings gave it 5 stars, it’s safe to say that this one is fairly beloved among users.
I like that it’s actually designed for older dogs with joint problems.
While I’ve seen thicker mattresses (as you also will below), 4-6″ is a pretty good level of support.
If you need more support, spring for the larger bed, even if your pit will fit on the medium.
The biggest issue is the cover. It’s not very durable and replacements cost almost half as much as the bed itself.
I’d recommend it for pits who don’t chew and aren’t too rough on beds overall.
- Medium Brown Plush 34x22x4” waterproof orthopedic dog bed. Solid 2” high density, orthopedic memory foam over a solid 2” base of high stability support foam with covers designed so that your bed fits your home decor seamlessly and your dog can stay close to your family
- A prudent preventative measure for younger dogs of breeds predisposed to joint conditions, ensuring your dog’s joints remain mobile into their senior years, improving their quality of life and keeping your dog healthy and active for longer
- Therapeutic bed designed to provide relief and comfort to tripawds, dogs with joint conditions such as hip and elbow dysplasia, arthritis, patella luxation, osteochondritis and other conditions such as torn cruciate ligaments so they can get the rest they need. Prevents elbow calluses as well as pressure sores due to immobility during illness or post-surgery
- The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic was designed to keep your best friend’s joints young for longer. The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic is proven to restore the mobility and vitality of dogs, as well as helping them to sleep more soundly
- Bed comes with removable covers that are easy to wash, quick-drying and include a waterproof mattress protector to catch accidents associated with incontinence
6. K9 Ballistics Round Dog Bed Deep Den
Since separation anxiety is fairly common in pits, you may want to consider a calming dog bed.
Bagel-shaped (or donut, if you prefer) beds practically envelop your dog in comfort, making them a great choice.
While the one by K9 Ballistics isn’t my favorite overall in this category, it is the best donut bed for pits who chew.
Features & Pros
- Covered with RipStop Ballistic Material
- Donut style makes pits feel secure
- No zippers or Velcro
- 3 sizes and 3 colors
- Still not quite chew-proof (customers say their dogs tore it apart)
- NOT covered by K9 Ballistics’ chew-proof guarantee
- Cover isn’t soft and some say it’s “crunchy”
K9 Ballistics gives this a 3/5 chew-proof rating, meaning it’s idea for “LIGHT chewers and diggers only.”
In other words, it won’t really hold up to a pit that’s determined to tear it to shreds.
However, it will withstand regular wear and tear better than other donut beds.
It’s not one of my favorite options overall, but it is the best pick if you really want or need a bagel bed.
- CHEW PROOF RATING: 3/5; the number of raised edges and corners on this bagel shaped dog bed gives chewing dogs too many places to latch onto and do damage. This round dog bed is ideal for LIGHT chewers and diggers only. For a heavy chewer or very destructive dog, please consider our Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed.
- Bagel and donut shaped dog beds offer a sense of security and comfort for dogs who love to cuddle. Often called deep dish dog beds, our design with this Deep Den Dog Bed allows your dog to snuggle into 360 degree bolstered comfort.
- We removed all zippers and Velcro to make this a very durable dog bed. The proprietary RipStop Ballistic Material resists destructive behaviors such as chewing, scratching, digging, and general roughhousing. This is a truly durable round dog bed!
- This bagel dog bed is machine washable. The inner round dog mat is easily removed and spot cleaned or tossed into the washing machine. The high bolster walls of this dog bed can be machine washed in larger washing machines, or wiped clean with ease.
- This bagel dog bed features RipStop Material on the outside; Velvet may be present on interior depending on color selected.
|Rating||4.5 stars||5 stars||5 stars||5 stars|
|Feature||Orthopedic||Custom sizes||Durable||Like a human mattress|
7. Bully beds Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
Bully Beds is relatively new to me but they’re quickly running up the ranks as one of my favorite options.
If you need the ultimate support for your aging pit, you’ll want to check out the features and pros.
Features & Pros
- 7” thick mattress made with premium foam
- Made for large and tough breeds.
- Super supportive for older dogs
- Soft and durable cover on the outside
- Totally waterproof liner on the inside
- Outer cover is machine washable
- 20-year guarantee that the bed won’t go flat.
- Not chew-proof but they sell a tougher cover on their website.
- Warranty comes with a lot of caveats
- The medium sized bed is only 4” thick, so you’ll have to go with a larger size for the full orthopedic effect.
As mentioned in the cons, it’s not chew-proof right out of the box. However, if you go on their website, they offer a separate heavy duty cover.
What I truly love about this one is the comfort factor. As long as you go with the large, it’s a full 7″ thick, and all of that is premium foam.
While their warranty has a lot of “ifs” and “buts” to it, they do offer one of the industry’s longest guarantees.
Check out our Bully Beds vs. Big Barker comparison for a complete review.
- The Affordable Luxury Dog Bed that Provides Therapeutic Comfort For Large Dogs: Each Bully Bed, an orthopedic dog bed for large dogs, is designed to provide ample support for your furry friend. Our mattresses feature a 4.5 lb medical-grade orthopedic memory foam ideal for large, aging, elderly, or arthritic dogs with joint and muscular problems. Our beds are designed to support your dog's joints and hips to help reduce discomfort and give them the rest and sleep they need (and deserve).
- Dog Beds That Won't Go Flat: Every Bully Bed comes with an orthopedic foam that will not flatten by more than 2.5 inches. The high-density support material layered with the comfort memory foam can stack 7 inches high, keeping your pup off the hard floor underneath while contouring to and cushioning their body. Each orthopedic dog bed can hold over 400 lbs. easily without sinking, so that dog can use it for up to 20 years, making it great for any size and breed.
- Waterproof Dog Beds For Large Dogs: Each Bully Bed comes with a removable, washable microfiber cover, a heavy-duty chew-resistant zipper, and a non-slip base. The covers are 100% waterproof and won't absorb urine, water, saliva, vomit, and any other liquids. The liner sits inside the outer surface and completely encases the whole mattress, protecting all sides. It is also easily removable via a zipper for quick and straightforward cleaning.
- Durable & Long Lasting Pet Mattress: Give your furry friend a safe bed that lasts a lifetime. The foams that make each Bully Bed are safe for your dog and are CertiPUR-US approved. They contain no heavy metals or ozone depleters. It is also free of PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP flame retardants, mercury, lead, heavy metals, formaldehyde, phthalates, and CFCs.
- Satisfaction on Your Dog Bed or Your Money Back: We know your pets will love their new sleeping accommodations. Our goal is to offer a completely risk-free experience for dog owners, from our money-back pledge on undamaged beds to free shipping and even free return shipping if the bed doesn't work out for your pet.
8. DianesK9Creations Chew Proof And 100% Waterproof Bed Cover
Although this isn’t actually a dog bed, it still deserves a place on our list.
DianesK9Creations on Etsy makes replacement covers that make nearly all beds chew-proof (or at least incredibly chew-resistant).
Features & Pros
- 100% Waterproof heavy-duty fabric
- Dig Proof
- Easy To Clean, Just Hose Off
- Custom made to fit your dog’s bed
- 15+ cover and piping color options
- It’s just the cover, you’ll need to add your own insert
- Takes 2-3 weeks to ship
- No free shipping
- No returns
While it may seem pricey considering you don’t actually get a bed with it, it’s roughly the same price as Bully Bed’s tougher cover.
The one pictured here is designed to fit a 24″ x 36″ x 4″ high bed, but she has plenty of other choices and sizes in her shop.
If you need something different than what’s offered, I’m sure she’ll work with you to create the perfect chew-proof cover.
9. Stiches of Zen Chew Proof Dog Bed with Remove-able Cover
Another Etsy find, this one does come with the ed, although it’s not really the most orthopedic option of the bunch.
Features & Pros
- 4 sizes from small to XL
- They also do custom sizes
- Personalization option
- Made with chewproof, durable and soft polyester fabric
- Attractive design
- Fairly priced for a handmade item
- Free shipping
- Filled with shredded memory foam instead of solid
- Not very orthopedic
- Ships from Turkey, so it can take a while to arrive
Stitches of Zen has a 5-star shop rating across over 1,200 sales, so they must be doing something right.
While this one isn’t all that orthopedic, it’s a good choice for a young pit who has a tendency to gnaw on his bed.
If you’re not in love with the pattern on the one shown, check out their shop for more designs and options.
10. Casper Dog Bed
The Casper dog bed is a mid-level orthopedic option from the same company that makes the Casper human mattress.
Features & Pros
- Strong cover that the brand claims is “practically impenetrable”
- Zippers are hidden in pockets, so they won’t dig into your dog’s skin.
- Good for dogs who dig into their beds.
- Nice thick mattress (6″ for medium, 7″ for large)
- Holds its shape pretty well.
- Low foam bolsters add a sense of security but don’t take up a lot of room on the bed.
- Slobber-resistant cover
- The cover isn’t really all that soft.
- Foam isn’t really dense enough for dogs with joint problems.
- Not water-proof
- They don’t offer replacement covers.
- Only a 1-year limited warranty
The Casper is a good pick for dogs who need a middle-of-the-road level of orthopedic support.
It can withstand light digging and scratching, but it’s not good for chewers.
Likewise, it can handle a little slobber but it’s not really waterproof.
Check out our complete Casper Dog Bed review for more details.
While I shared my top pick way up there before we even got started, I’ll reiterate: the Kuranda is the best buy with the most bang for your buck.
However, if you just don’t like the elevated cot style, Bully Beds would be my next choice as long as you get the durable cover (either them or Etsy).
That said, all of the options are among the best dog beds for pit bulls, otherwise they wouldn’t be on our list!
What are your picks for the best dog beds for pit bulls? Share below!
Last update on 2022-06-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API