If you’re looking for the best dog beds for Golden Retrievers, I’ve got you covered!
You’d think that buying a dog bed for the most popular breed would be easy, but it’s actually harder!
There are just SO many choices that it gets overwhelming!
Today, we’ll narrow down the sea of choices to top 5 picks.
We’ll also go over a few things to look for when shopping for your Golden’s bed.
Let’s get started!
Content & Quick Navigation
Tips for Choosing the Best Dog Beds for Golden Retrievers
Before we can choose the best type of dog bed for a golden retriever, let’s learn a bit about the breed’s needs (rhyme totally unintended!).
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
The average Golden Retriever ranges from 21-24 inches tall and about 55-75, with females being on the lower ends and males on the higher.
When you’re shopping for a dog bed, you’ll also want to measure your dog from his nose to the base of his tail, especially if he sleeps sprawled out.
While you’re shopping, look for a bed that’s at least as long as that measurement, and as wide as he is tall, plus an extra inch or two all around.
So, the ideal golden retriever dog bed size for a 22″-tall and 33″-long pupper would be around 24″wide and 35″ long.
Need a visual guide to measuring your dog? Check out this video:
Although different brands have different sizing options, if you want to save yourself a few clicks, start with the large and check those dimensions.
I’d say 75% of the time that’s the perfect size for your golden.
2. Activity Level
What does a Golden’s activity level have to do with a bed?
If you have a high-energy dog, you already know the answer to that!
Active dogs tend to get bored very easily. Bored dogs tend to chew. Do you see where I’m going with this?
Basically, you want something that can stand up to a mouthy dog!
If you have a chewer on your hands, obviously you want to look for chew-proof features first.
If those don’t fit your budget (some are a bit pricey), go with something that’s at least “chew-resistant.”
3. Skin and Coat
Goldens are pretty famous for their long, luxurious coats! They’re also infamous for shedding said coats!
What does that mean for your dog bed search?
Essentially, you want something that is super easy to clean!
Look for materials that let you just wipe the hair right off, versus clingy fabrics that trap fur and dander.
4. Age & Orthopedic Needs
If you have a pup or young dog, you don’t have to go full-on orthopedic, but you’ll still want something a little thicker and more supportive than a flat crate mat.
On the other hand. if you have an older Golden (you could say in her “golden years”), definitely opt for a high-quality orthopedic dog bed.
Summary of What to Look for in a Golden Retriever Dog Bed
To sum up all of the above, you’ll want to look for:
- A bed that’s both long enough and wide enough for your dog.
- Something that can hold up to about 75 pounds
- Something that’s easy to wipe clean and that repels fur.
- A bed with good orthopedic support, especially for older Goldens.
If you have a puppy or a chewer, you’ll also want to make sure you get something chew-proof.
Now that we know what I look for in the best dog beds for Golden Retrievers, let’s check out my top 5 picks!
Top 5 Best Dog Beds for Golden Retrievers
Check out the table below for a quick glance at my top five picks, then keep reading for more details about each bed.
1. Big Barker Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed Review
If you’ve read my other dog bed posts, you shouldn’t be surprised to see Big Barker land in the top spot here.
For a complete overview of their line, check out our Big Barker dog bed review.
Here’s what you need to know in terms of buying one for your Golden.
Pros & Features
- Three layers of high-quality memory foam, 7” total.
- The memory foam is specifically calibrated for large-breed dogs, so it won’t sag or slump when they lay on it.
- “No pressure points,” meaning it evenly distributes your dog’s weight across the bed.
- Cover is machine-washable, so it’s easy to clean
- 10-year warranty that guarantees the bed won’t flatten like a pancake.
- Make in the USA and meets CertiPUR-US standards.
- It’s a bit costly compared to some of the other beds on this list.
- Doesn’t come with a waterproof liner. You have to buy it separate, and it’s also a bit pricey.
- It’s not chew-proof
- May be “too much bed” for smaller Goldens.
If you have the budget for it and your dog isn’t a chewer, the Big Barker is my top choice for the best orthopedic dog bed for Goldens.
- Dog Beds for Large Dogs: Finally, your big furry friend can stretch, curl up, and rest comfortably all on one bed; Thick, quality-assured foam and soft microsuede make Big Barker beds the only orthopedic dog beds for large dogs
- Clinically Shown to Reduce Joint Pain: Study data has shown that our raised dog beds help ease joint pain and improve mobility; The headrest supports your pet’s head while they sprawl across the rest of the giant dog sofa bed
- Washable Microsuede Cover: Big Barker’s covers are machine washable & smell-resistant; The fabric is designed to withstand rubbing, digging & nesting; Easily remove the zippered cover for shrink-free washing, stain cleaning, or even quick replacement
- Intuitive Zippered Design: We’ve designed our beds with the zipper tucked in & seams sleekly incorporated to keep your pup comfortable; Not only is the microfiber material durably woven, it’s designed to look great in your home
- Elevated Foam Dog Bed: Our foam dog furniture is made in the USA, sustainably sourced & quality-assured to not flatten or pancake over time; Let your best friend rest easy in a soft & durable raised bed backed by a 10-Year Warranty by Big Barker
2. Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed Lounge Sofa Review
The Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed is a wonderful option for those who prefer the bolster bed style.
Features and pros
- Durable human-grade mattress foam that will last a long time.
- Water-resistant liner (note, not “proof”)
- Cushioned plush bolster makes a nice spot for your Golden to rest her head.
- Machine-washable fur and hair resistant anti-tear cover makes it easy to clean.
- The non-skip bottom disintegrates over time (and some say in the washing machine).
- Not chew proof (although the cover is tear-resistant)
- The warranty is a bit confusing. In one spot it says Limited 1-Year Warranty but further down the page they claim it is a “No Questions Asked” warranty.
For the most part, customers really do love this bed. I think it’s a good mid-range (budget wise) option for those with older dogs who don’t chew.
- ORTHOPEDIC DOG BEDS - Our pet sofa Features orthopedic memory foam with bolster wall design for added security and calming effect and superior support for your pet's neck & head for ultimate comfort
- DURABLE DOG BED - Water-resistant liner and human-grade mattress foam froviding pressure point relief and ensuring long-lasting durability. The wooden floor non-skid bottom adds an extra layer of safety for your pet, particularly for older pets
- MODERN DESIGN - Modern dog couch with classy design complementing your home decor while providing optimal comfort for your furry companion
- SIZE - Suitable for All Breeds: 28"W x 34"L x 9"D; Sleeping surface: 24"W x 27"L (Large up to 75lbs). Unbox ideally in a well-ventilated area to air out the product from the "new" smell; it may take up to 48-hours for the bed to fully expand
- EASY CARE - The water resistant liner keeps bed clean and dry. Removable water resistant bed cover is machine washable; and your purchase is covered by a limited 1-Year warranty, we stand by our promise on quality
3. All-Aluminum Kuranda with Heavy-Duty Vinyl Review
Here is the chew-proof bed you’ve been waiting for! It’s also another one of my all-time favorites!
If you have an aggressive chewer, this is really the best type of dog bed for golden retrievers that chew.
Features and Pros
- As long as you get the aluminum frame with the heavy duty vinyl, it’s virtually indestructible.
- Elevated design helps keep your Golden cool, which is a must in the summer!
- It’s waterproof and great for outdoor use.
- Kuranda sells inexpensive replacement parts, in case you ever need them.
- Even though it doesn’t look like it, it’s actually an orthopedic bed!
- Only comes with a 1-year warranty, which is a bit short for a pricy bed.
- Kind of a challenge to put together.
- The heavy-duty vinyl is the only fabric option that is chew-proof.
Like I said, others may be varying degrees of tear-resistant, but this is really the only chew-proof bed on the list.
I love that it’s orthopedic without all the fluff! It’s also perfect for outdoor use, making it the best waterproof dog bed.
- ORIGINAL CHEWPROOF BED AND STILL THE BEST - Designed in Maryland in 1995. Patent #US5992348. Still the best. Best design. Best materials. Best workmanship. Best customer service.
- BEST DESIGN - Oversize rails (larger than all competitors) protect fabric in frame. Orthopedic design provides long lasting even support to your dog's joints.
- BEST MATERIALS - Aircraft grade aluminum and high strength PVC won't rust. Premium fabric are abrasion resistant, treated against UV and clean easily. Stainless steel fasteners.
- BEST WORKMANSHIP - Kuranda has been manufacturing elevated, orthopedic dog beds in Baltimore, Maryland since 1995.
- BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE - If you have a question about our beds call or email us. The people who make the beds are the ones who answer the phones and return your email.
4. KOPEKS Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed Review
If you want a budget-friendly orthopedic option, check out the KOPEKS Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed.
You’ll want to start with the Jumbo XL here, as that’s the best golden retriever dog bed size from their options.
Pros and features
- Filled with 100% orthopedic-grade memory foam for great support.
- The machine-washable micro-suede cover is soft, snuggly and easy to clean.
- Includes a water-resistant removable liner beneath the top cover.
- Anti-slip rubber bottom stops it from slipping all over the place.
- The “large” is kind of misleading. It’s actually more suited for a medium dog. You’ll need to go with the jumbo XL instead.
- The liner isn’t water-proof (just resistant), so urine and spills can still leak through.
- It’s not a chew-proof bed.
This great bed for Goldens is very highly rated among customers, so that should tell you something.
While it’s not the cheapest on the list, it’s still a pretty solid budget-friendly option for dogs who don’t chew.
- ✅ Extra Large Orthopedic Dog Bed: This jumbo dog bed is a full 50" large and 34” wide, made of 7” thick memory foam that relieves pressure on joints and boasts a 3” thick headrest that supports the dog's head, for optimal comfort.
- ✅ Hypoallergenic Dog Bed: Keep your dog feeling cozy with this premium memory foam dog bed. Our XL dog bed is not only soft and comfortable, but it also helps regulate temperature making it a healthier choice than non-foam pet beds.
- ✅ Ergonomic Senior Dog Bed: This giant dog bed has been found efficient in helping reduce joint pain and stiffness among big dogs and makes an ideal choice for dogs that suffer from arthritis or have achy joints and other mobility issues.
- ✅ Durable Pet Bed With Double Layer Protection: Our extra large dog bed comes with a waterproof inner protector and features a plush suede zippered cover with anti-slip bottom, which can be easily removed and washed, to remain hygienic.
- ✅ Risk-Free Shopping Experience: This washable dog bed is strictly tested for quality and performance, extra-sturdy, comfortable, and elegant, offered by KOPEKS, a widely trusted brand of bed accessories. Place your order with confidence.
5. Go Pet Club Solid Memory Foam Orthopedic Pet Bed Review
Last but not least, the Go Pet Club orthopedic memory foam pet bed is my top pick for those with tiny budgets.
It may not look like much, but this orthopedic bed is actually very highly rated!
Pros and Features
- Made out of 4″ of 100% memory foam
- Waterproof cover stops leaks and spills from reaching the foam.
- Suede zippered covers has a rubber, non-slip bottom
- Memory foam and suede are non-allergenic
- Doesn’t flatted over time
- Not chew-resistant
- Although the cover is supposed to be waterproof, some customers say it still leaks.
- The memory foam may be a smidge too hard for older dogs with joint pain.
Although it’s not my favorite on this list, I am including it because not everyone can spend upwards of $100+ on a dog bed.
It’s a good option for those on a tiny budget who still want something that’s relatively highly rated among customers.
- Size : 36"W x 28"L x 4"H Color : Chocolate
- Two layers of protective surfaces: Waterproof cover and Suede zippered covers come with rubber, non-slip bottoms
- Great for pets with arthritis or joint and muscle problems Made out of 100% memory foam, 4" high
- Memory foam and suede are non-allergenic
- Will always keep its shape and will not flatten over time
It shouldn’t be a surprise to learn that the Big Barker and Kuranda are my top two picks for the best dog beds for Golden Retrievers.
If those are out of your price range, though, any of the other beds on this list would still make a great choice.
What are your thoughts? Would you add anything to our list of best dog beds for Golden Retrievers? Share below!
Last update on 2023-09-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API