If you’re looking for the best dog beds for Golden Retrievers, I’ve got you covered!
You’d think that buying a dog bed for the most popular breed would be easy, but it’s actually harder!
There are just SO many choices that it gets overwhelming!
Today, we’ll narrow down the sea of choices to top 5 picks.
We’ll also go over a few things to look for when shopping for your Golden’s bed.
Let’s get started!
Tips for Choosing the Best Dog Beds for Golden Retrievers
Before we can choose the best type of dog bed for a golden retriever, let’s learn a bit about the breed’s needs (rhyme totally unintended!).
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, we earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
The average Golden Retriever ranges from 21-24 inches tall and about 55-75, with females being on the lower ends and males on the higher.
When you’re shopping for a dog bed, you’ll also want to measure your dog from his nose to the base of his tail, especially if he sleeps sprawled out.
While you’re shopping, look for a bed that’s at least as long as that measurement, and as wide as he is tall, plus an extra inch or two all around.
So, the ideal golden retriever dog bed size for a 22″-tall and 33″-long pupper would be around 24″wide and 35″ long.
Need a visual guide to measuring your dog? Check out this video:
Although different brands have different sizing options, if you want to save yourself a few clicks, start with the large and check those dimensions.
I’d say 75% of the time that’s the perfect size for your golden.
2. Activity Level
What does a Golden’s activity level have to do with a bed?
If you have a high-energy dog, you already know the answer to that!
Active dogs tend to get bored very easily. Bored dogs tend to chew. Do you see where I’m going with this?
Basically, you want something that can stand up to a mouthy dog!
If you have a chewer on your hands, obviously you want to look for chew-proof features first.
If those don’t fit your budget (some are a bit pricey), go with something that’s at least “chew-resistant.”
3. Skin and Coat
Goldens are pretty famous for their long, luxurious coats! They’re also infamous for shedding said coats!
What does that mean for your dog bed search?
Essentially, you want something that is super easy to clean!
Look for materials that let you just wipe the hair right off, versus clingy fabrics that trap fur and dander.
4. Age & Orthopedic Needs
If you have a pup or young dog, you don’t have to go full-on orthopedic, but you’ll still want something a little thicker and more supportive than a flat crate mat.
On the other hand. if you have an older Golden (you could say in her “golden years”), definitely opt for a high-quality orthopedic dog bed.
Summary of What to Look for in a Golden Retriever Dog Bed
To sum up all of the above, you’ll want to look for:
- A bed that’s both long enough and wide enough for your dog.
- Something that can hold up to about 75 pounds
- Something that’s easy to wipe clean and that repels fur.
- A bed with good orthopedic support, especially for older Goldens.
If you have a puppy or a chewer, you’ll also want to make sure you get something chew-proof.
Now that we know what I look for in the best dog beds for Golden Retrievers, let’s check out my top 5 picks!
Top 5 Best Dog Beds for Golden Retrievers
Check out the table below for a quick glance at my top five picks, then keep reading for more details about each bed.
1. Big Barker Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed Review
If you’ve read my other dog bed posts, you shouldn’t be surprised to see Big Barker land in the top spot here.
For a complete overview of their line, check out our Big Barker dog bed review.
Here’s what you need to know in terms of buying one for your Golden.
Pros & Features
- Three layers of high-quality memory foam, 7” total.
- The memory foam is specifically calibrated for large-breed dogs, so it won’t sag or slump when they lay on it.
- “No pressure points,” meaning it evenly distributes your dog’s weight across the bed.
- Cover is machine-washable, so it’s easy to clean
- 10-year warranty that guarantees the bed won’t flatten like a pancake.
- Make in the USA and meets CertiPUR-US standards.
- It’s a bit costly compared to some of the other beds on this list.
- Doesn’t come with a waterproof liner. You have to buy it separate, and it’s also a bit pricey.
- It’s not chew-proof
- May be “too much bed” for smaller Goldens.
If you have the budget for it and your dog isn’t a chewer, the Big Barker is my top choice for the best orthopedic dog bed for Goldens.
- CALIBRATED FOR BIG DOGS: Available in Large, XL, Giant XXL dog bed sizes. Too powerful for small dogs.
- 10 YEAR WARRANTY: Foam will retain 90% of original shape & loft for 10 years or your money back.
- WON'T FLATTEN: American made therapeutic foam is the best quality you'll find in orthopedic dog beds. Won't flatten or pancake over time.
- MADE IN THE USA: Handmade by craftsmen and craftswomen in our small California workshop that's been making artisan furniture for over 30 years.
- EASY TO CLEAN: machine washable. 100% Microfiber cover. Soft to the touch, looks great in your home.
2. Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed Lounge Sofa Review
The Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed is a wonderful option for those who prefer the bolster bed style.
Features and pros
- Durable human-grade mattress foam that will last a long time.
- Water-resistant liner (note, not “proof”)
- Cushioned plush bolster makes a nice spot for your Golden to rest her head.
- Machine-washable fur and hair resistant anti-tear cover makes it easy to clean.
- The non-skip bottom disintegrates over time (and some say in the washing machine).
- Not chew proof (although the cover is tear-resistant)
- The warranty is a bit confusing. In one spot it says Limited 1-Year Warranty but further down the page they claim it is a “No Questions Asked” warranty.
For the most part, customers really do love this bed. I think it’s a good mid-range (budget wise) option for those with older dogs who don’t chew.
- Designed with extra care, your pet's comfort is our priority. Your dog will get a solid night's sleep in this luxurious bed. The cushioned poly-fill bolster provides your dog exceptional comfort, even for dogs with joint pain or arthritis.
- Water-resistant liner and human-grade mattress foam, this orthopedic bed has been put to the test proven to be durable and long lasting.
- Bed Size: 36 x 28 x 9 inch, Mattress thickness 4 inch. Huge clearance is perfect for a couple smaller pets who like it cozy or 1 medium dog or 1 large dog breed up to 75lbs. Great head, hip and bone support.
- Pet-Loving parents will score major points from their dogs with this new, ideal and comfy bed. 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - Your Purchase Is Covered By A Limited 1-Year Warranty. We stand by our promise on quality.
- Easy to Clean: Soft, removable cover is durable, and machine-washable. You can remove the cover anytime with the YKK pure metal zippers and keep your pet's bed clean. Non-skid, non-slip bottom, fur and hair resistant cover.
3. All-Aluminum Kuranda with Heavy-Duty Vinyl Review
Here is the chew-proof bed you’ve been waiting for! It’s also another one of my all-time favorites!
If you have an aggressive chewer, this is really the best type of dog bed for golden retrievers that chew.
Features and Pros
- As long as you get the aluminum frame with the heavy duty vinyl, it’s virtually indestructible.
- Elevated design helps keep your Golden cool, which is a must in the summer!
- It’s waterproof and great for outdoor use.
- Kuranda sells inexpensive replacement parts, in case you ever need them.
- Even though it doesn’t look like it, it’s actually an orthopedic bed!
- Only comes with a 1-year warranty, which is a bit short for a pricy bed.
- Kind of a challenge to put together.
- The heavy-duty vinyl is the only fabric option that is chew-proof.
Like I said, others may be varying degrees of tear-resistant, but this is really the only chew-proof bed on the list.
I love that it’s orthopedic without all the fluff! It’s also perfect for outdoor use, making it the best waterproof dog bed.
- Patented, CHEWPROOF HIGH STRENGTH, lightweight aircraft grade aluminum frame supports up to 250lbs.
- Elevated/Raised orthopedic design to keep your dog dry, cool, and comfortable indoors and outdoors.
- Easy to Clean, guaranteed to stand up to repeated cleaning.
- Heavy Duty 40oz solid vinyl is our most durable fabric. Its ideal for determined diggers and larger,heavier dogs. Its smooth surface is easy to clean. And great for outdoor use.
- 1 YEAR WARRANTY / Outside Dimensions: 50x36x9 / Fabric Area: 46x32 / Does Not Come Assembled
4. KOPEKS Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed Review
If you want a budget-friendly orthopedic option, check out the KOPEKS Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed.
You’ll want to start with the Jumbo XL here, as that’s the best golden retriever dog bed size from their options.
Pros and features
- Filled with 100% orthopedic-grade memory foam for great support.
- The machine-washable micro-suede cover is soft, snuggly and easy to clean.
- Includes a water-resistant removable liner beneath the top cover.
- Anti-slip rubber bottom stops it from slipping all over the place.
- The “large” is kind of misleading. It’s actually more suited for a medium dog. You’ll need to go with the jumbo XL instead.
- The liner isn’t water-proof (just resistant), so urine and spills can still leak through.
- It’s not a chew-proof bed.
This great bed for Goldens is very highly rated among customers, so that should tell you something.
While it’s not the cheapest on the list, it’s still a pretty solid budget-friendly option for dogs who don’t chew.
- Dimensions: 50"L x 34"W x 7" thick memory foam plus a 3" thick headrest
- Hypo-allergenic premium Memory foam - not egg crate foam or other orthorpedic non memory foams - Compare to therapeutic foam found in high end mattress stores
- Special loving: great for pets with Arthritis or joint and muscle issues
- Double layer protection - interior cover: waterproof fabric Zippered Cover/ exterior cover: soft, plush Suede with an Ant-Slip bottom zippered cover
- KOPEKS is a registered trademark and Best-Seller of pet accessories.
5. Go Pet Club Solid Memory Foam Orthopedic Pet Bed Review
Last but not least, the Go Pet Club orthopedic memory foam pet bed is my top pick for those with tiny budgets.
It may not look like much, but this orthopedic bed is actually very highly rated!
Pros and Features
- Made out of 4″ of 100% memory foam
- Waterproof cover stops leaks and spills from reaching the foam.
- Suede zippered covers has a rubber, non-slip bottom
- Memory foam and suede are non-allergenic
- Doesn’t flatted over time
- Not chew-resistant
- Although the cover is supposed to be waterproof, some customers say it still leaks.
- The memory foam may be a smidge too hard for older dogs with joint pain.
Although it’s not my favorite on this list, I am including it because not everyone can spend upwards of $100+ on a dog bed.
It’s a good option for those on a tiny budget who still want something that’s relatively highly rated among customers.
- Size : 36"W x 28"L x 4"H Color : Chocolate
- Two layers of protective surfaces: Waterproof cover and Suede zippered covers come with rubber, non-slip bottoms
- Great for pets with arthritis or joint and muscle problems Made out of 100% memory foam, 4" high
- Memory foam and suede are non-allergenic
- Will always keep its shape and will not flatten over time
It shouldn’t be a surprise to learn that the Big Barker and Kuranda are my top two picks for the best dog beds for Golden Retrievers.
If those are out of your price range, though, any of the other beds on this list would still make a great choice.
What are your thoughts? Would you add anything to our list of best dog beds for Golden Retrievers? Share below!
Last update on 2019-08-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API