We’re are always looking for new ways to keep our dogs entertained and active. So it makes sense that automatic ball launchers for dogs have become so popular. After all, these nifty devices are a great way to get pups to exercise even when you can’t be the one to give them a good workout. That’s something any dog owner would love to have in their lives.
Below, I’ll help make shopping for one easier by showing you the best available options, plus a detailed buying guide. Start with the table below for a quick side-by-side comparison of my favorites, then read on for all of the details about each one.
FYI, this post includes affiliate links. If you buy anything through these links, DogVills earns a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Dual power sources let you use it indoors or outside
Portable and easy to carry
250 shots on a single battery cycle
Consistent launch distance for all three modes
Super lightweight design
Content & Quick Navigation
5 Best Automatic Ball Launchers for Dogs
Finding high-quality automatic ball launchers for dogs can be challenging on a site like Amazon. So, rather than just throwing a ton of options at you and hoping something sticks, I thought limiting my selection to five would be a far more helpful way to start this process. It’ll allow you to see what separates the best options from ones not worth considering.
1. PALULU Automatic Dog Toy Ball Launcher
The PALULU Automatic Dog Toy Ball Launcher checks off numerous boxes without a hefty price tag. For instance, it offers a sturdy construction, is easy to use, and provides a few stylish color choices. These components create an impressive option that other automatic ball launchers often can’t match.
- Made with durable materials
- Two colors (blue and white)
- Four distance settings (10ft, 20ft, 30ft, and random)
- Six 2″ tennis balls
- AC power adapter
- Equipped with battery compartment (8 C batteries required)
- Stylish design and color schemes
- Easy to use for small or medium dogs
- Usable indoors or outdoors with dual power sources
- Sturdy and reliable construction
- Affordable price
- They offer an option with a remote control for about $7 more
- You can load only one ball at once
- Doesn’t come with a remote unless you pay extra
Of course, the affordable price and sturdy construction are this option’s main highlights. But I find myself being equally impressed with its versatility. After all, it has no trouble being a suitable option for small or medium dogs while being usable indoors and outdoors.
But it does provide a slight inconvenience with its reloading procedure. It only can load one ball at a time, which can be inconvenient if your dog’s not trained to drop the ball back into the opening. Thankfully, this automatic ball launcher’s process is easy for dogs to learn.
- The Package Includes: 1 x Automatic ball launcher, 1 x AC power adapter, 6 x Small balls.
- Power Adapter Included: If you use it indoors, no batteries needed, just plug and play. This launcher also features a battery compartment for  C batteries for when you want to play outdoor.
- Standby Time: Whether the power adapter or battery is used, the machine is always in standby mode and will not automatically shut down. In battery mode, the machine can work continuously for about 30...
- Distance Settings: The distance of the ball launcher can be adjusted in 4 gears, 10ft, 20ft, 30ft, or random, one-key operation.
- Important Note: (1) The size of the ball is 2 inches, not 2.5 inches.(2) Only one ball can be loaded at a time, if you have more than one ball in the launcher, the next ball will be stuck and will not...
2. AFP Automatic Ball Launcher for Small Dogs
Our next option, AFP’s Automatic Ball Launcher for Small Dogs, has no trouble keeping canines entertained indoors. It offers three convenient distance modes with a sensor launching a loaded ball after 10 seconds. So it’s easy to see how owners can keep their dogs occupied with this practical device.
- Lightweight design made from plastic material
- White color scheme
- Three available distances (10ft, 20ft, and 30ft)
- Dual power sources (AC adapter or six C batteries)
- Three 2″ mini tennis balls included
- Equipped with tennis ball sensor
- Portable and easy to carry
- Effortlessly adapts to indoor locations with distances modes
- Convenient sensor launches balls 10 seconds after loading
- Provides long battery life
- Simple to assemble and use
- Only usable indoors
Overall, this option makes a name for itself with its practicality. Everything about it, from its distance modes to its portable design, will make an owner’s life easier. It even offers a simple assembly and using processes to show its convenience further.
I only wish this model was usable outdoors. But its construction wasn’t designed for this purpose, so buyers need to keep it inside. If they do, it should be an excellent exercise toy to keep their Bulldogs for chihuahuas busy.
- The automatic dog ball launcher is an automatic,interactive fetch system.The interactive dog toys keep your pet happy while giving your arm a break.
- Dog ball thrower can throw balls to 10ft (3M), 20ft (6M), 30ft (9M).Suitable for small and medium dogs for indoor use.
- The ball thrower for dogs is with a tennis ball sensor,after the dog balls are palced in it,it will launch balls every 10 seconds.
- Includes 3pcs 2’’/ 5cm dog tennis balls,Try to not get them too dirty or wet as this will affect performance.
- Works with 6 C batteries(not included),easy to instal and use.Your dog will enjoy a happy time with this tennis ball launcher for dogs.
3. IDOGMATE Dog Ball Launcher for Large Dogs
Large dogs finally get a little love on our list with the IDOGMATE Dog Ball Launcher. After all, it’s specifically designed for larger breeds using 2.5″ standard tennis balls. But, more importantly, the three included balls utilize non-abrasive material to promote dental health. So it’s perfect for any bigger canine who loves ripping apart tennis balls.
- Well-crafted design with arced wheels
- Three 2.5″ standard tennis balls included
- Remote control included with 40-foot range
- Runs with an AC adapter or rechargeable Li-ion battery
- Four distance settings (10ft, 20ft, 30ft, and 40ft)
- Launches balls up to 40 ft
- Ideal for almost all dogs (including large dogs)
- Easy on a dog’s teeth with non-abrasive, washable tennis balls
- Supports 250 shots on a single battery cycle
- Exceptionally crafted design with long-term durability
- Fairly pricey compared to others
- While the machine is durable, the balls aren’t
Almost any dog owner would benefit from having this automatic ball launcher. For instance, it’s suitable for all breeds and ages while durable enough to handle regular usage. It even launches balls up to 40ft and offers exceptional battery life with a 250-shot lifespan. What more could you possibly want?
The answer is a lower price because it’s the most expensive choice on our list. So buyers will need to decide whether its exceptional features are worth a little more cash. Also, while the machine itself is durable, several customers point out that the balls aren’t. You’ll either have to replace them often or buy a more durable set. Thankfully, there are sturdier options that are compatible with it.
- Made For MOST SIZED DOGS -- iDogmate LaunchBox is the 2021 latest version with 8.75 inch height, Made For most sized dogs who can carry 2.5" size pet ball. Comes with 3 pieces 2.5-inch diameter...
- Money saving -- IDOGMATE is powered by AC Adapter or Rechargeable Batteries, Li-ion Battery support 250 shot each full recharging, Red light will turn steady green when fully charged.
- Remote Control -- Adjust speed options by a remote controller or click the machine button directly,speed adjustable function will be perfect for indoor & outdoor exercise. Remote control can be used...
- iDogmate Big dog launcher balls are 2.5 inches in diameter. They are felted like tennis balls, but made for dogs and are non-abrasive on their teeth.
- Excellent Engineering Design -- Durable, arced wheels to prevent a wet or slobbery ball from being stuck and to furthest ensure the shooting distance. (Pls don't use warped, twisted or broken ball in...
- Your satisfaction is our pursuit, in case of any problem, pls just contact us, our team will work swiftly to solve your problem.
4. BLELEYLL Automatic Ball Launcher for Small and Medium Dogs
BLELEYLL’s Automatic Ball Launcher for Small and Medium Dogs isn’t the most advanced option on this list. But it does stand out by using a unique propulsion launching system to ensure the distances remain consistent. Of course, including six chew-resistant mini tennis balls doesn’t hurt its case.
- Uses an advanced propulsion launching system
- Three distance modes (10ft, 20ft, and 30ft)
- Six 2″ mini rubber tennis balls included
- Two power sources (AC adapter or battery compartment located on the bottom)
- Money-back guarantee
- Consistent launch distance for all three modes
- Simple to clean chew-resistant tennis balls (washable)
- A lower-priced option
- Usable outdoors and indoors
- Easy-to-use remote control for effortless operation
- Durability concerns
- Occasionally out of stock (more often than the others)
This brand did an excellent job crafting a solid automatic ball launcher with some high-quality features. In fact, I didn’t even mention its remote control and effortless operation. I can’t even imagine newbies having difficulty using it.
But it does suffer from some durability concerns with its construction. So owners will have to be careful when using it, or there could be a few issues down the line. Luckily, it has an affordable price and a money-back guarantee to make it worthwhile.
- 【Includes 6 tennis balls】: please only use our automatic ball launcher for dogs 2 inch mini tennis balls to avoid dysfunction and always keep the balls clean and dry (balls covered in puppy saliva...
- 【Stable launch distance】: our dog ball launcher automatic has an upgraded propulsion mechanism for a more stable launch distance. With the push of a button, the automatic tennis ball launcher can...
- 【Indoor and outdoor use】: the tennis ball launcher is supplied with an AC power adapter (for indoor use). The Automatic Tennis Ball Launcher also uses 6 "C" batteries (not included), so you can...
- 【Easy to use】: The dog ball launcher provides your dog with continuous interactive play. Our ball launcher for dogs can be used with all brands of 2" tennis balls (not standard 2.5" balls).
- 【Money back guarantee】: Our ball thrower for dogs are inspected before they are shipped, if for any reason you are not satisfied, please contact us as soon as possible and we will refund you.
5. Greenvine Automatic Dog Ball Launcher
Greenvine’s Automatic Dog Ball Launcher is a perfect way to help a smaller dog eliminate any pent-up energy. It’s hard to imagine how the four shooting distance modes wouldn’t keep them on their toes and busy.
- Made from safe materials
- Four shooting distance modes (10ft, 20ft, 30ft, and random)
- Remote control included
- Six 2″ mini tennis balls
- Runs off batteries (not included) or power cord
- Perfect exercise toy for small dogs
- Usable indoors or outdoors
- Easy using process with push-button remote control
- Durable components
- Effortless to move with lightweight design
- No warranty
- Only suitable for small breeds because the balls are tiny
Honestly, the four shooting distance modes and easy using process alone are enough to warrant this option serious consideration. But I would be doing you a disservice if I didn’t also mention its indoor/outdoor usability and portable design. These components further enhance its position among the best automatic ball launchers for small dogs.
But I did find it a little weird that this automatic launcher didn’t come with a warranty. It’s a bit pricer than some options on our lists, which made me think it’d have one. Thankfully, I doubt anyone would need to utilize one due to its durable construction.
- Multiple Distances: The launcher has 4 different shooting distance setting modes, throws including 10ft, 20ft, 30ft, and random.
- Remote Control: Equipped with remote control, the launcher can be very simple for you to operate, just with an easy push of a button, can be used both indoors and outside.
- Power Options: The ball launcher has 2 usage modes, the included power cord or batteries (not included) are both can be selected by different places;
- Safe Materials: The materials of the dog ball launcher are safe, environmentally friendly, and without a peculiar smell. The ball launcher design is novel and the power cord can effectively prevent...
- Excellent Games: The tennis machine is lightweight and easy to carry. Dogs usually use this ball launcher, which can improve intelligence, reduce daily anxiety and consume excess energy.
What to Consider When Buying Automatic Ball Launchers for Dogs
Finding the perfect automatic ball launcher requires more research than knowing the best options. You’ll also need to consider several buying factors before making a decision. These details will help create a clearer picture of what choice best suits your needs.
(Disclaimer: if your dog loves to chew up toys or balls, I wouldn’t recommend investing in any ball launchers as it’ll only increase the likelihood of choking issues.)
Each automatic ball launcher will have a maximum throwing distance. Most options will come with various preset distances to offer a little variety. It’s crucial to ensure these ranges mesh with your dog’s playing area.
After all, you don’t want the device to launch balls over a fence or into a dangerous area. So I recommend measuring any intended playing area and finding a compatible launcher. It will help stop any issues when your pup first uses their new toy.
Location and Durability
Some automatic launchers will only be for indoor use, while others will allow outdoor usage. As a result, buyers must think about where their dog will play with the toy. Don’t assume every launcher will be suitable for every occasion.
I’d also suggest looking at reviews to see how they hold up outdoors and indoors. Sadly, some automatic launchers won’t be durable to handle regular use in any situation. These reviews will help you avoid those options and prevent any money from being wasted on them.
Ease of Use
Automatic ball launcher manufacturers can often get overzealous with settings and features. Due to this, it makes their products a bit too complicated to use effectively. Therefore, do your best to stick to options that offer easy operating processes.
It would help if you also considered that your dog would be reloading these devices by themselves. It’s an extra incentive to ensure the launcher isn’t too complicated. Otherwise, it’ll end up defeating the entire point of getting one: allowing your dog to play fetch with themselves.
Types of Balls
One of the frustrating aspects about these launchers is they don’t all use the same balls. So please, check what type of balls are compatible with the launcher before buying. If you don’t, it could soon represent an enormous waste of your time and money.
I always find it easy to go with one that utilizes tennis balls. After all, it’s easy to find replacements when my Pitbull inevitably pokes holes through them. She does this for about two weeks, so you can imagine it’s become essential for me.
Your Dog’s Size
Once you’ve chosen a ball type, it’s vital to match them with your dog’s size. You’ll soon find out many automatic launchers utilize 1.5″ or 2″ mini tennis balls. These balls are convenient for small and medium dogs but represent choking hazards for large canines like my Pitbull.
So owners with larger dogs should buy launchers with 2.5″ standard tennis balls. These options are rare but do exist if you look hard enough. Trust me; the effort is worth it as you won’t have to worry about choking issues.
Automatic ball launchers for dogs require a power source to run effectively. Some options will run off batteries/hold a charge, and others need to be plugged into a socket. I tend to favor the launchers without cords due to my clumsiness about tripping over them.
However, corded options never need recharging or battery replacements. So there are clear arguments for either option being a practical choice. You could even choose a launcher that offers both power sources.
It’s difficult to recommend anything other than IDOGMATE’s Dog Ball Launcher. The product will have no trouble being a suitable option for almost any dog breed. But I’d probably go with Greenvine’s Automatic Dog Ball Launcher if you have a small breed like a chihuahua.
Have you tried to use any of these automatic ball launchers for dogs? Share your experiences below!