If you’re looking for 4-letter dog names (and precisely 4 letters only), we’ve got you covered!
We’ve talked about two and three-letter dog names with single syllables, but sometimes you want a little more oomph.
The male and female ideas below will help you come up with something that’s still short and sweet, but not quite so monosyllabic.
Take a look at our favorites below!
4-Letter Dog Names
Choosing a name is always hard, and when it comes to our fur babies it has to be perfect.
We want something short so that puppies learn to recognize their names, but also meaningful to us.
These 4 letter dog names will really give you the inspiration you needed to choose the perfect name for your pup.
We’ll start with the basic list for each gender, then read on for the meanings behind our top 30 favorites.
4-Letter Dog Names for Males
Different names, with different meanings, perfect for all your pups.
‘Nero’ for example, is the Finish word for ‘genius’ and would be the appropriate name for any Terrier!
Then, of course, ‘Bear’ doesn’t need an explanation, but wouldn’t it be the best choice for a very loving Saint Bernard?
4 Letter Dog Names for Females
Remember ‘Nana’, the Newfoundland protector from Peter Pan? Tell me that’s not one of the best names.
Describes best her protective and caring personality.
And think about “Diva”, which doesn’t need an explanation, but I think it would be the best name for a Yorkshire Terrier.
Top 30 4-Letter Dog Names with Meanings
- Abby – Hebrew name for ‘father’s joy’ and it would be the best choice for any bachelor.
- Adam – Biblical name, the first man on Earth, it means ‘unique’.
- Alex – Short form of ‘Alexander’ or ‘the defender of men.’
- Andy – Coming from the Greek name ‘Andreas’ means ‘brave’.
- Babe – Not only associated with the loving nickname, but it comes from Greek and it means ‘foreign’.
- Bear – Besides the very imposing animal, ‘Bear’ also means ‘strong’.
- Beau – The French word for ‘beautiful’ and a very understandable choice.
- Brie – Derived from the Celtic ‘Brighid’ it means ‘the exalted one’.
- Chic – This is one of the very elegant dog names, for any fancy pup out there.
- Cleo – Short for ‘Cleopatra’ and it’s translated to ‘pride’ or ‘glory’.
- Cubs – An incredibly cute name for any dog who’s like a ‘playful lion’.
- Dash – As expected, Dash stands for ‘energetic’, probably made for a Beagle constantly running around his tail.
- Dino – When I say ‘Dino’ I think of a Golden Retriever with a cute dinosaur costume on, but in Italian, it means ‘little sword’.
- Dots – The English name for “gift of God’ but a Dalmatian could totally rock this name.
- Elmo – May be associated with Sesame Street, but in German, it means ‘protection’.
- Hope – The name Hope comes from the Old English word ‘hopian’ and as expected, it means ‘full of hope’.
- Hugo – For all the content pups, the name ‘Hugo’ means ‘spirit’.
- Iris – Whether we’re talking about the flower or the Greek for ‘rainbow’ we can agree that it brings happiness in our lives.
- Jade – Pretty straight forward, we’re talking about something precious.
- Jazz – Its roots aren’t very well known, but we do know it’s a very unique name, growing more popular.
- Judy – The Hebrew word for ‘praised’.
- Kali – With Sanskrit origins, it means ‘the black one’.
- King – No explanation needed, a king is a king everywhere.
- Kira – It comes from the Greek word ‘kyrios’, meaning ‘ruler’.
- Levi – Meaning ‘joined’ it’s the perfect name if you’re planning on taking him everywhere you go.
- Loki – We all know Loki, The Avengers’ God. Well, it’s a real god in Norse Mythology, associated with magic.
- Luna – It means ‘Moon’ in Italian and Romanian.
- Nana – Is ‘the one who looks after the children and is very popular with Peter Pan fans.
- Nero – It means ‘genius’ and it’s a Finnish name.
- Star – No explanation is needed here, it’s for the little stars in our lives.
4-Letter Food Names for Dogs
Most, if not all, of these 4-letter food names are pretty gender-neutral, so they’ll work for males or females. Some are funny, some cute, and some are actually very pretty (like Kale!)
- Beef (a funny food name for a beefy pup!)
- Boga (a soft-drink brand)
- Caro (another drink brand)
- Clif (after the Clif Bar)
- Eden (a dairy brand)
- Izze (after the fizzy water drink brand)
- Lala (another dairy brand)
- Rosé (like the wine)
4-Letter Cities & Countries Dog Names
Again, these can work for male and female dogs. They’re inspired by countries and cities around the world.
- Abha -in Saudi Arabia
- Aden – in Yemen
- Arak– Iran
- Aksu– China
- Baku – Azerbaijan
- Bari– in Italy
- Cali– in Colombia
- Cork– Ireland
- Dali- China
- Erie– a Great Lake and a town in Pennsylvania
- Gaya- India
- Gulu- Uganda
- Jaen – Spain
- Lima– the capital of Peru
- Nara- Japan
Choosing the perfect name for your dog is one of the hardest things new pet parents will do! There are just so many great ideas out there that it’s almost impossible to pick just one.
These 4-letter names are short and sweet! Plus, they’re easy enough for your kids to learn how to say & spell, too! That makes training your pup easier for the whole family.
The key is to go with something that has meaning for you but that’s also easy enough for your dog to understand.
You can also take inspiration from your dog breed. For example, “Bear” works perfectly for a brown dog, while Fuji is great for an Akita.