So you’ve brought a new companion into your house, and now you want some great 3 letter dog names for your little furball.
Good for you for knowing that it’s easier for dogs to recognize their names if they are short.
I bet you also know that short and snappy names make training a lot easier, right?
Now, you just need a few ideas, and that’s where the list below comes in!
3 Letter Dog Names
Let’s start with a simple list for males, then females!
Then, we’ll check out the meanings behind our top 30 favorites!
3 Letter Dog Names for Males
All these names are either derived from common human ones.
For example, ‘Sam,’ comes from ‘Samuel’, or ‘Rob’ which comes from ‘Robert’.
But there are also the ones that have a meaning for themselves.
‘Rex,’ for example, stands for ‘a reigning king’
‘Lex’ is a great Greek dog name meaning ‘the defender of men’. There are indeed many names we can choose for our dogs.
3 Letter Dog Names for Females
The same rule still applies to our lady pups.
Short names will always be easier for them to remember and there’s a lot to choose from.
The name ‘Bab’ for example, comes from the Greek ‘barbados’ meaning ‘traveler from a foreign land.’
That would be a great name for your new Azawakh pup!
But let’s take a closer look and see what our favorite 3 letter dog names mean.
Our 30 favorite 3 letter dog names with meanings
- Ace – A nickname given to the one who excels.
- Alf – A Norse name characterized by strength.
- Ash – A Hebrew name, meaning ‘happy’.
- Ava – Is the Latin word for ‘life’
- Bab – Coming from the Greek ‘barbaros’, meaning ‘traveler’.
- Dax – A French name, meaning ‘origin’.
- Deb – Comes from the Hebrew name ‘Deborah’, meaning ‘bee’.
- Eco – It derives from Ancient Greek and it means ‘echo’ or ‘sound’.
- Fay – It means ‘confidence’ and it’s a popular English name.
- Han – In German, ‘Han’ means ‘the gift of God’, but it’s also very popular thanks to Han Solo.
- Ida – This is an English name and it signifies ‘prosperity’.
- Ika – Ika is the one who wants to bring happiness to others.
- Jay – This is the German name for ‘victorious’.
- Kay – Or the ‘keeper of the keys’. I find it the perfect name for a highly trained pup.
- Kia – Is short for ‘Katherine’ and it means ‘pure’.
- Lea – The German variation of ‘Leah’ is a perfect name for a Basset Hound, meaning ‘weary’.
- Lex – This is a greek name and it means ‘the protector of men’.
- Max – Short for ‘Maximilian’ and it means ‘the greatest’.
- May – Originally, it was associated with the name ‘Mary’, meaning ‘pearl’.
- Noe – It’s the French form of ‘Noah’ and we all know how he saved all the animals he could find.
- Pam – It supposedly comes from ‘Pamela’, which in Greek means ‘all honey’.
- Pat – Comes from the Latin ‘Patricius’ and it means ‘nobleman’. Or dog in this situation.
- Rex – It means ‘a reigning king’ and if you ask me it’s the perfect name for that pup who won’t share the couch.
- Rob – It means ‘bright fame’ and I think we know that some dogs are very fabulous.
- Sia – The Sweedish name means ‘victory’ and the famous singer really put this name on the map.
- Tao – Is the Chinese word for ‘long life’.
- Tes – Tes is the ‘peacemaker’ and it comes from Greek.
- Uli – If your dog has a certain ‘noble leader’ trait, then this is the perfect name.
- Zen – The Greek meaning of ‘Zen’ is ‘gift of Zeus’.
- Zoe – As the perfect name for a very happy, energetic puppy, ‘Zoe’ means ‘life’.
Depending on your pup’s personality or your personal preferences, you have endless possibilities when it comes to choosing a name for your pup.
And now you have many 3 letter dog names to choose from.