Having a hard time finding some great Shiba Inu names for your new pup?
No worries, we’ve got you covered!
Check out 100 of our favorite ideas for this beautiful Japanese dog breed!
We split them evenly between male and female names, so use the table of contents to jump to the section you need.
Best Shiba Inu Names
So you got yourself a new Shiba Inu, or Shiba for short.
They are a good-natured and independent breed that will be a great new addition to your household.
The key to finding the perfect name for your new companion is to understand the breed’s temperament.
This strong-willed and confident dog needs to have a name that matches and emphasizes these personality traits.
We have compiled a list of the best names that illustrate your dog’s appearance as well as characteristics.
We’ve also included some fun Japanese-inspired names to honor their origins! Let’s take a look!
Male Shiba Inu Names
Shibas are part of the Spitz family, an ancient breed of dog that is defined by their pointed ears that perch on top of their heads and a curled poofy tail.
A lot of Spitz-type breeds also exhibit a never-ending smile on their faces. They’re also agile little creatures that require lots of attention and activity.
- Aiko – A loved child, or fur-child in this case.
- Akira – Since they are a Japanese breed, why not get inspiration from their native culture? Akira means “bright”.
- Alpha – This suits a dog who thinks he’s in command.
- Baloo – The bear from The Jungle book. Because Shibas are a little bit bear-like.
- Bear – They look like little foxes, but also little bears.
- Bodhi- The famous Menswear Dog!
- Boku- masculine version of “Me”
- Buddy – Because that’s who he is to you.
- Chibi – “Short”. Which a Shiba is, a short and stout breed.
- Choco – If you have a darker colored Shiba.
- Cinnamon – The most common Shiba color reminds us of ground cinnamon
- Dash – They do dash around at speeds not a lot of us can match.
- Ebony – Shibas come in a darker black and tan color too.
- Emi – For the blessing in your life.
- Hachiko – We just had to. After the famous Akita (another Spitz breed that resembles the Shiba but bigger) in the movie with the same name.
- Haru – “Sunlight”. Your life was dark and now there is light with your new fur baby.
- Hito- Means “person,” so it’s a funny dog name!
- Jiro – Meaning “second son”. This is great if your fur baby is a little brother to your first human son.
- Kabosu- He’s the original “Doge” from the meme!
- Koromaru – From the Persona 3 anime.
- Kaito – “Ocean”, for Shibas who love the water.
- Kotaro – Small boy.
- King – Shibas are a proud and regal-looking breed.
- Kyoshi – “Purity”. As all dogs are the epitome of innocence.
- Latte – Sweet like your dog, but still a bit bitter at times.
- Marley – Shibas can be destructive, who better to name him after than the rambunctious Golden Retriever.
- Marutaro -a famous Shiba Inu on Instagram
- Ninja – Because he’s super fast and agile.
- Okane- Money
- Prince – If the King of the household is you not him.
- Pusuke – This famous record-breaking Shiba lived to be 26!
- Rusty – A lot of Shibas come in a rusty red color, so why not call yours rusty?
- Ryuji – Another famous Instagram Shiba.
- Sadaharu – a ginormous Shiba Inu from the anime Gintama.
- Seto – Great for white/lighter Shibas.
- Shibao- A famous news-casting Shiba in Japan
- Shiro- Another anime-inspired Shiba Inu name.
- Shogun – A commander in chief in Japanese culture.
- Swirl – Just like his tail.
- Taro – On the contrary to Jiro, Taro means “first son”.
- Tetsuya – From Kuroko no Basket anime.
- Toshi – “Smart” or “wise”. Shibas are an intelligent breed.
- Wo tabetai – Means “want to eat,” a funny name for a dog who loves food!
- Yuki – Because your dog will bring you lots and lots of happiness.
- Yoshi – Like the dinosaur in the video games.
We couldn’t resist giving lots of Japanese names as the breed originates from Japan.
Some names were taken after food, but names such as Seto, Rascal, Dash and Rusty really caught our eye because they convey the personality of the Shiba.
Female Shiba Inu Names
Now let’s look at the other side of the coin and review some names we picked out for the female counterparts.
For little girls we decided to go the elegant route. As said before, Shibas are a regal and proud breed with a powerful stance. It’s only fair that their names bring forth that trait. Don’t worry, we’ll also throw in a couple cute and funny ones for good measure.
- Aimi – Meaning beautiful love. Sort of sound like the English name Amy.
- Aki – It can mean “bright’ or “autumn”.
- Amber – Another name for the fur color.
- Asa- Means morning.
- Asami – Morning beauty. Your dog will have an “I woke up like this” kind of beauty.
- Ashita- Means “tomorrow,” as in “I hope we have many tomorrows together.”
- Atatakai- Warm
- Cookie – A snack name for good measure (as promised).
- Elee- another famous Shiba Inu, from the UK.
- Fawn – One more for fur color.
- Foxy – Smaller Spitz dogs resemble foxes while larger ones resemble wolves.
- Hana – Flower.
- Haruko – Great for little girls born in the spring.
- Hikari – Light.
- Hisako – A child which has a long life. We will wish upon many stars for our fur babies to live long and prosper.
- Hoshi – For the star in your life.
- Ichi- Means “one,” as in “my dog is number one!”
- Kana – Powerful one. Like we said before, Shibas exude power.
- Kiku- “Listen,” something we hope our dogs do!
- Kimiko – Valuable (fur) child.
- Lady – Shibas are dainty and clean just like a lady should be.
- Mao – Means “cherry blossom”. In Chinese it means cat.
- Mana – Affectionate. If your dog is overly independent, hopefully she will take after this name.
- Mari – Chan- A famous Shiba Inu on YouTube
- Mikan- Mandarin orange
- Momo- Means “peach”
- Muco – From the anime Lovely Muco.
- Miyako – Child of the night. If your puppy keeps you up at night, you’ll want to use this name.
- Natsu- Means “summer”
- Princess – That’s what she will act like.
- Queen – We had to slide this one in here to go with Princess.
- Sassy – Trust me, you’ll know why after a few months/years.
- Satoko – Wise child. We can keep our fingers crossed and hope this is true for training purposes.
- Scarlett – Although not quite this red, Shibas have a rusty red color.
- Sheba – Like the queen.
- Shika- Means “deer,” but it’s a pretty name!
- Shinju – For the precious pearl fur child you have.
- Shiva – The supervillainess from DC comics.
- Takara – Treasure. A very fitting name for your new pup.
- Tori- Means “bird,” for a delicate Shiba!
- Tsuki- Moon
- Tuffy – If you want to accentuate the curled tail of the Shiba.
- Yuki- Snow
- Yuko – Helpful. Hopefully they are this way rather than not.
For dogs, you can consider choosing a name you hope they will take after. If your dog is not very affectionate, Mana is a great choice.
Just like Yuko, if your dog causes more trouble than not, this name will hopefully be helpful.
Here we are at the end of another one of our helpful lists.